Help!!! Just started packing---or overpacking!!!!

We leave for our first cruise in five days. I started packing yesterday. I have compiled a check list of everything. I am afraid that I am overpacking. We will be on a five day cruise going to Grand Turk, Half Moon Cay, and Nassau. What should I prepare to pack for day wear? Is it appropriate to wear my swim suit with a cover up around the ship and at the ports during the day? Or do I need to plan on bringing an outfit to wear over my suit?

I leave in 5 days also and here is my packing suggestion:

Layout all your items on your bed and seperate by day - so its easy to pick and choose what goes together - along with your shoes. Eliminate the things that dont match or the extra pieces you dont need.

I leave in 5 days and am mostly packed:

I ONLY packed cover-ups and bathing suits for my daily wear. Yes, you can go anywear on and off the ship wearing only that. This saves a considerable amount of room in your suitcase.

In my case, 6 bikinis and 6 cover up dresses. Takes up NO space.

For night time I also chose to take dresses. Less confusion on mixing and matching, and again - takes up very little space. So 7 nighttime dresses. Keep in mind that 2 are formal for the formal nights and the other 5 are more casual.

This leaves me with the "what if?" clothes. I packed a pair of jean shorts and jean skirt that can be worn on a variety of occasions along with a few tank tops.

Then I packed my PJ's / hangout clothes- 2 cotton shorts and 2 comfy pants with some tanks.

So with all that said, I have 3/4 of a suitcase filled which leaves me enough space for my 4 pairs of shoes, 2 flip flops and toiletries/ extras.

Don't take what you dont need or if you are hesitant upon taking it - this means you probably wont wear it. The less the better. You can always do laundry or repeat.

Have fun!

In Bermuda and St. Thomas, it is not considered appropriate to wear "beach wear" away from the beach. However, if you have a cover-up and you stick to the touristy areas, you'll be fine.

A couple of my light packing tips are:

1) Don't pack a shirt for every day of the cruise if you're like me and can't resist purchasing a few t-shirts during the cruise. The same thing goes for jewelry.

2) Try to plan you dinner clothes to go with as few different shoes as possible. For 5 nights, you should be able to get by with just two different pairs of shoes for dinner.

I leave in 5 days also and here is my packing suggestion:

Layout all your items on your bed and seperate by day - so its easy to pick and choose what goes together - along with your shoes. Eliminate the things that dont match or the extra pieces you dont need.

I leave in 5 days and am mostly packed:

I ONLY packed cover-ups and bathing suits for my daily wear. Yes, you can go anywear on and off the ship wearing only that. This saves a considerable amount of room in your suitcase.

In my case, 6 bikinis and 6 cover up dresses. Takes up NO space.

For night time I also chose to take dresses. Less confusion on mixing and matching, and again - takes up very little space. So 7 nighttime dresses. Keep in mind that 2 are formal for the formal nights and the other 5 are more casual.

This leaves me with the "what if?" clothes. I packed a pair of jean shorts and jean skirt that can be worn on a variety of occasions along with a few tank tops.

Then I packed my PJ's / hangout clothes- 2 cotton shorts and 2 comfy pants with some tanks.

So with all that said, I have 3/4 of a suitcase filled which leaves me enough space for my 4 pairs of shoes, 2 flip flops and toiletries/ extras.

Don't take what you dont need or if you are hesitant upon taking it - this means you probably wont wear it. The less the better. You can always do laundry or repeat.

Have fun![/qu

WOW!!! I'm an awful over-packer, LOL!!! I HAVE to say tho, your packing list has made more sense to me than any one else's I've read. Yours seems VERY doable for me. I think I'm off to revise my things, leaving in 11 days, thanks for the great tip!;)

Marthalt:

Last time i cruised (2005) my boyfriend and I took 8 bags for a week cruise. Yes, 8 pieces of luggage. We live in Miami so we didnt have to fly to the port - but NEVER AGAIN. I must have overpacked for an extra 3 weeks. No joke. I had about 15 pairs of shoes, which only about 5 were used. After that experience, I mean we weren't even able to fit all the bags under the bed - we decided that overpacking was not for us.

I carefully select my outfits now and make sure that I don't over do it. However, I am still tempted to bring the 'extra's, but i have pretty good will power!!

Marthalt:

Last time i cruised (2005) my boyfriend and I took 8 bags for a week cruise. Yes, 8 pieces of luggage. We live in Miami so we didnt have to fly to the port - but NEVER AGAIN. I must have overpacked for an extra 3 weeks. No joke. I had about 15 pairs of shoes, which only about 5 were used. After that experience, I mean we weren't even able to fit all the bags under the bed - we decided that overpacking was not for us.

I carefully select my outfits now and make sure that I don't over do it. However, I am still tempted to bring the 'extra's, but i have pretty good will power!!

668kris

I think I'm seriously going to try your packing idea. On our 1st in 2005 I had 15 bags, YES 15!!! However my saving face is that they were a bunch of smaller bags as we had no large luggage except for one piece, lol!!! Last year I did alot better, only 7 bags! Maybe this year DH won't be so strapped down, lol!!!:p

If you bring shorts and shirt for breakfast or going ashore, you will probably be able to re-wear them a time or two! After all, it's not like you're gardening in them or anything!

I wouldn't wear "beachwear" except to the beach or on the ship. Many places are a bit "staid" about attire. Wear your bathing suit with shorts and a t-shirt (or something like that--perhaps a sundress...) when going ashore.

I think it is a normal tendency to overpack on your first cruise, I know I definitely did just that. But you do learn with experience.

One thing to think about is the fact that at least 2 days of every 7 day cruise is a sea day and you will probably be in a bathing suit on those days. That's one place to cut back. Another is to wear the same clothes for disembarkation that you did for embarkation, another outfit cut out of the case.

I think the sundress idea is a good one, I know mine pack up smaller than slacks and a top. But I also wear any slacks I take at least 2, sometimes 3 times to dinner. I also have cut back drastically on shoes, I only take 5 pair total. One pair for each type of function, casual night, formal, sneakers, comfortable walking sandals and flip flops for the pool, none that only go with one outfit.

Just keep in mind that it is not a fashion show and that hardly anyone really pays all that much attention to your clothes. They are more concerned with themselves. I was on a 3 night cruise and got home yesterday, I could hardly tell you what other people were wearing. Some looked good, some like slobs, most just blended in with the crowd.

Usually the clothes I wear for embarkation end up too grungy, from sweating hauling luggage around and of course the 'ol muster drill, LOL! The ticket for me on disembarkation is usually shorts or capris I've already worn once with a t- shirt bought in port :cool:

I sail in 11 more days, and I cannot hardly wait!!!

happyks, where did you go?? tell us a little about it......:p

I'm packed for my 21 day trip to Europe (that includes a 12 day Med. Cruise) . I have one 24 inch bag and a small rolling tote. I weighed my luggage and it's at 30 lbs. I'm so proud!

DH has not even started to pack and we leave Sat!!! Do you think he'll be able to do as good a job as me? Shall we take bets?

5 bikinis! Now I am worried because I am only bringing 2 for my 7 dayer! I thought I could wash them out and let them dry every night, and switch them out every day. I wonder if that will be enough? And I am only bringing 2 cover ups and a pareo.... three pairs of shorts and 3 shirts. 5 shoes, but I needed three pairs for formal nights because I have a different dress each night and I need a brown pair for one of the dresses. I will only wear that pair one night!!! Oh, well.

Usually the clothes I wear for embarkation end up too grungy, from sweating hauling luggage around and of course the 'ol muster drill, LOL! The ticket for me on disembarkation is usually shorts or capris I've already worn once with a t- shirt bought in port

I sail in 11 more days, and I cannot hardly wait!!!

happyks, where did you go?? tell us a little about it......

Oh, I don't wear them dirty again!!! I have them laundered or dry cleaned!:D :rolleyes:

We just went on a little 3 nighter on Monarch to Ensenada. We had a great time, had dinner seating arranged with another CC'r, critterchick and her husband, plus another couple they have met before on cruises. We had a table for 8 and were joined by a lovely couple that are also local S. Californians. The wine and conversation flowed at dinner. Daytime was complete relaxation for us, we don't care to get off the ship in Ensenada.

Packing for a 3 nighter is almost as much as I will pack for a week. There isn't time to have anything cleaned, so I have to pack for the whole time. But, the toiletry bag is still the same :)

I've changed my mind (again) about packing a blow dryer. The one in our cabin worked for about 15 seconds before it would shut down. I called housekeeping, a person came and looked at it, of course it turned right on for him....he walked out the door and the dryer shut itself off again. Although he said he was going to bring me another, he never showed up again. The next day I called housekeeping and they told me they didn't have any more :mad: My hair is not the type that can look good at all without blow drying, it's flat, straight and lifeless.........I was very unhappy. At that very moment the cabin attendant was walking by and asked if everything was alright, so I told him my sad tale. Within minutes he produced a blow dryer that worked. It was melted on one side and looked like someone had spilled nail polish all over it, but it worked and the cabin steward was my savior.

I am a light packer and will continue to be, but I will never leave home again without my own trusty blow dryer. I have about 4 of them hanging around the house.

OK, enough of my "little bit" about the cruise :p We're going again in November, meeting up with critterchick and others again and plan to have another great weekend (with no kids along, yay!)

I am a bit of overpacker myself. I limit myself to one decent size suitcase and one carryon. If it doesn't fit I don't take it. I do lay out my clothes by days and like most of you I typically take 2-3 pairs of black slacks to wear with different tops for night time. for formal I have a nice black velvet pantsuit that I change up with different shells and accessories. Limit myself to 5 pair of shoes. I am leaving in 19 days!!

I'm packed for my 21 day trip to Europe (that includes a 12 day Med. Cruise) . I have one 24 inch bag and a small rolling tote. I weighed my luggage and it's at 30 lbs. I'm so proud!

DH has not even started to pack and we leave Sat!!! Do you think he'll be able to do as good a job as me? Shall we take bets?

Hi Sharisoda! I leave in two months for 14 days in the Med. Would you share your packing list with me? I would LOVE to get away with one bag!

Archived