Not flying after cruise...

Angelica1973

We have no rush to catch a plane after debarkation as we will be driving home. Therefore no rush to get off the ship. What would you do? Self-debark or have a leisurly breakfast and wait for your # to be called. This is our 1st cruise....what time is the lastest you can get off the ship?

Last cruise I took we didn't leave until the next day, had a hotel in Miami. We did the self-debark and I wouldn't do it again. We HAD to leave the ship very early (RCL wouldn't let you stay on board) and we got to our hotel at like 9 am. Of course our rooms weren't ready and we had nothing else planned. I know you are driving so this isn't an issue, but I felt really rushed doing the self-debark thing and I don't think I will do it again. Most cruises we just sit with some coffee and read a book or magazine and wait until our color/number is called. Finding your luggage can sometimes be a challenge, but we now do the yellow ribbon and we have new luggage now that is bright blue and very easy to spot.

Ultimately it is personal preferance, but it seems like the later I've gotten off the ship the less hectic it has seemed.

We were in the same "boat" as you on our cruise on the Pride. We had a nice leisurely breakfast, sat up on Lido deck, then after they called our color, we eventually made our way down to where they were disembarking. There was a long line though, so we just sat in one of the lounges that had a view across the bridge where people were going through customs, waiting for the line to get shorter. We just sat there talking with another couple until the announcement was made that we HAD to leave.:p Once we did, the line to go through customs and immigration was short, and our luggage was easy to find since it was about the only ones left! That's definitely the way to go, I think. Why rush for your vacation to be over when you don't have to.:cool:

We have done both. We just got off the Fascination and did self disembarked. We where off the ship by 7:30am. I think being on Empress deck helped since that was the 1st floor that was called.

But we also have waited and have been the lasted ones off. I personally prefer to get off early. Not that I don't like cruising and vacations. But when it comes to the "lasted" day I'm ready to go.

On our Triumph cruise in June we didn't have a flight until 4:50, so we took our time getting to breakfast on the Lido deck, then went upstairs and ate. It was very quiet up there. The kids played cards and we relaxed. Some of the other lounge areas are way too crowded. We waited until almost everyone was off, then took our time and there were no lines and it was very easy to find our luggage. Sometimes I don't know why everyone is in such a big hurry.

usually the last group is off around 10am or so... usually , if everything is ok..

i would wait for your color to be called. and like the other posters said, just relax. and eat breakfast...

melissa

have fun on your 1st cruise .. dont get hooked ;)

We were on the Victory 2yrs. ago, and I thought the lido deck was closed. We left our cabin and had to go to the show lounge and wait. We will be on the Glory this year. Is breakfast availble on the lido? Thanks.

Yes.

ETA: Check your Capers for the time.

We tried the leisurely approach for the first time last month and I much prefer it over fighting for space in a crowded hallway while keeping the kids entertained:( .

If you are so inclined, try waking up a little later and hitting the lido buffet before they close. Grab an assortment of goodies and some coffee and a book (or just people watch) and relax in an out of the way location.

We found that the luggage hunt was easier because there are fewer bags (even though they had our luggage all over), and there was no line at all for customs.

Unless we have an early flight, this will be our SOP in future cruises.

Take your time getting off the ship. We've found this to be the way to go when driving home. You'll still be off the ship relatively early in the day.

When you find your luggage, get a porter to take you out of the terminal. You'll notice everyone in line for customs staying to the left of a wide, long line. The porters will take you, and your luggage, along the right side of the line, ahead of everyone. He'll take you luggage directly to your car (at least in Miami, not sure of Port Canaveral, but we'll be finding out). Definately worth the few bucks!

Take your time getting off the ship. We've found this to be the way to go when driving home. You'll still be off the ship relatively early in the day.

When you find your luggage, get a porter to take you out of the terminal. You'll notice everyone in line for customs staying to the left of a wide, long line. The porters will take you, and your luggage, along the right side of the line, ahead of everyone. He'll take you luggage directly to your car (at least in Miami, not sure of Port Canaveral, but we'll be finding out). Definately worth the few bucks!

We'll be sure to save some extra cash for the porter - thanks for that tip!:D

While I don't want to rush, the warm fuzzy feeling that you've had on a cruise ship all week, significantly changes on the last day. While the staff is accommodating, they are anxious to get ready for another group. I remember one cruise on the Triumph in 2003 that we had to wait a long time to disembark. Breakfast was gone (which was fine) but water, drinks, etc., were shut off as well. Not a good thing!

Maybe staying on the ship until 8:30-9 is fine but anything later isn't that great. I'm usually ready to get to the airport, etc., the last day. It's sad but we typically go home that final day. Know many cruisers enjoy a post-cruise. We did a post-cruise once in Miami on SB and it was great. We were off the ship around 9 and headed to our hotel. Disadvantage is you can't usually check in for several hours.

We were in no rush to get off Fascination last December (our first cruise without the kids and we were staying in Florida for a few days post-cruise). Checked with our cabin steward to see when she really wanted us out. Had a leisurely breakfast on the Lido Deck. We were among the last ones off the ship around 9:15 am. Our luggage was very easy to find! Same with our car service!

Archived