Crown Bay To Havensight-cost/time/rt

LindaMae

BEEN THERE DONE THAT CRUISERS:confused: HOW MUCH TIME, COST AND DOING A RETURN TRIP DOES IT TAKE? WE ARE THERE ON SUNDAY ON THE CROWN AND THE SERNADE IS THE ONLY OTHER SHIP. HAD PLANNED TO DO SHOPPING IN MORNING AND EXCURSION IN THE AFTERNOON. ANY HELP WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED. AND YES I AGREE WITH A FREE DOCK THEY OUGHT TO HAVE SHUTTLE SERVICE TO TOWN, BUT WE HAVE TO WORK WITH WHAT WE GOT:eek: THANKS CRUISERS!!!

LINDAMAE

BEEN THERE DONE THAT CRUISERS:confused: HOW MUCH TIME, COST AND DOING A RETURN TRIP DOES IT TAKE? WE ARE THERE ON SUNDAY ON THE CROWN AND THE SERNADE IS THE ONLY OTHER SHIP. HAD PLANNED TO DO SHOPPING IN MORNING AND EXCURSION IN THE AFTERNOON. ANY HELP WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED. AND YES I AGREE WITH A FREE DOCK THEY OUGHT TO HAVE SHUTTLE SERVICE TO TOWN, BUT WE HAVE TO WORK WITH WHAT WE GOT:eek: THANKS CRUISERS!!!

LINDAMAE

Lindamae, I haven't done it myself but I suspect its an $8 cab ride that would take 20-25 minutes.

The cost is $4.00 p/p to go into town and you pass Havensight while going into town. It takes about 7-10 min to get from the pier to Havensight. Waiting for an assigned taxi is what takes time. They have a line you wait in while the main taxi control person flags the taxi's to take the next group. Good Luck!

The cost is $4.00 p/p to go into town and you pass Havensight while going into town. It takes about 7-10 min to get from the pier to Havensight. Waiting for an assigned taxi is what takes time. They have a line you wait in while the main taxi control person flags the taxi's to take the next group. Good Luck!

The last time I was at Crown Bay, it was on the opposite side of Charlotte Amalie from the Havensight dock area and you would not go anywhere near Havensight if taking a taxi from Crown Bay into town. If they took you past Havensight you were taken for a real "RIDE." Crown Bay is located at the old Sub Base out near the airport.

Hank

Lindamae,

The open air taxi/shuttle from Crown Bay to downtown is $4 per person and takes about 10 minutes. Havensight to downtown is $4 per person and takes 5 to 10 minutes, depending on traffic - which is normally pretty awful. There are now many more shuttles available from Crown Bay than they had previously. It is now easier to travel downtown from Crown Bay than it is from Havensight, which is normally a zoo of people.

The Crown Bay shopping center is finally opening, with a new shop or two every time we dock there. There is also a great new deli/wine shop/restaurant next to the pier, with some very nice selections.

Havensight still has the advantage; with the highest priced shops in town right next to the pier, a US Post Office next to them, and a Shakeys Pizza a short walk away. But since you can mail just about anything you want onboard the ship, and pizza is free onboard, there is very little need for those services on the pier.

Free Dock???? Who told you that? NOBODY gets free docking - anywhere - in St Thomas.

Can you imagine the first cruise line that offers free shuttle bus service from either pier to downtown? Those unionized Taxi Drivers will be picketing and rioting at the end of the pier. It's not going to happen - ever.

The last time I was at Crown Bay, it was on the opposite side of Charlotte Amalie from the Havensight dock area and you would not go anywhere near Havensight if taking a taxi from Crown Bay into town. If they took you past Havensight you were taken for a real "RIDE." Crown Bay is located at the old Sub Base out near the airport.

Hank

You are correct, we didn't actually pass it, we saw where it was , when we made a left turn to go towards the town, and it wasn't very far from where we turned!

As for the Free Dock, I assume the OP was talking that the Cruiseships are getting a reduced port tax fee ( almost free) for using the Crown bay pier as their dock.

Lindamae,

The open air taxi/shuttle from Crown Bay to downtown is $4 per person and takes about 10 minutes. Havensight to downtown is $4 per person and takes 5 to 10 minutes, depending on traffic - which is normally pretty awful. There are now many more shuttles available from Crown Bay than they had previously. It is now easier to travel downtown from Crown Bay than it is from Havensight, which is normally a zoo of people.

The Crown Bay shopping center is finally opening, with a new shop or two every time we dock there. There is also a great new deli/wine shop/restaurant next to the pier, with some very nice selections.

Havensight still has the advantage; with the highest priced shops in town right next to the pier, a US Post Office next to them, and a Shakeys Pizza a short walk away. But since you can mail just about anything you want onboard the ship, and pizza is free onboard, there is very little need for those services on the pier.

Free Dock???? Who told you that? NOBODY gets free docking - anywhere - in St Thomas.

Can you imagine the first cruise line that offers free shuttle bus service from either pier to downtown? Those unionized Taxi Drivers will be picketing and rioting at the end of the pier. It's not going to happen - ever.

Read this article. http://www.virginislandsdailynews.com/index.pl/article_home?id=17612203

When I was in St. Thomas last Sunday, it was a $5 taxi fare from Crown Bay to Havensight. Not entirely sure how long it took to get there, since it was a bit chaotic down at the Taxi queue...maybe 20-25 minutes from joining the queue, through fare collection and dropping off folks downtown, to actually getting to Havensight.

I assume that you've checked that there will actually be a ship docked at Havensight when you're there? I learned the hard way that the shops at Havensight are closed on Sundays when there is no ship docked there.

When I was in St. Thomas last Sunday, it was a $5 taxi fare from Crown Bay to Havensight. Not entirely sure how long it took to get there, since it was a bit chaotic down at the Taxi queue...maybe 20-25 minutes from joining the queue, through fare collection and dropping off folks downtown, to actually getting to Havensight.

I assume that you've checked that there will actually be a ship docked at Havensight when you're there? I learned the hard way that the shops at Havensight are closed on Sundays when there is no ship docked there.

Yes, as LindaMae said the Serenade is in port during the same hours. I'm on the same sailing and we're trying to figure out if anyone knows the price (sounds like $5 each way) and the time it takes to go roundtrip. We have an afternoon excursion planned and we need to be back to Crown Bay around noon.

Assuming that we may have to exit the pier area to get to the open air taxis - can you get back and forth to Havensight easily - without going downtown? Or is it still a problem finding a taxi drivers willing to go directly between Crown Bay and Havensight? Any insight is appreciated and thanks for your help :)

LINDAMAE

$4 to Downtown, $5 to Havensight which is just a short bit further on the same route. About 10 minutes time depending on traffic. Was there a couple weeks ago.

THANKS FOR ALL THE RESPONSES!!:)

THIS IS THE SITE PICTURE OF CROWN BAY/CHARLOTTE/HAVENSIGHT.

www.viport.com/images/crownbay%20may2006.JPG

IF YOU LOOK ALL THE WAY IN THE UPPER RIGHT CORNER YOU CAN SEE THE HAVENSIGHT PIER AREA. WE ARE REGULAR ATTENDERS TO

ST THOMAS, BUT OUR FIRST TIME AT THIS PIER. AND I GUESS YOU CAN SAY WE HAVE GOTTEN INTO OUR ROUTINE WITH HAVENSIGHT LAST MINUTE ITEMS BEFORE BOARDING.

SO PLEASE KEEP THE INFORMATION COMING ABOUT WHAT IS GOING ON THERE COST, CROWN BAY, TIME TO GET AROUND. i GUESS IT IS ALL ABOUT MONEY FOR PRINCESS AND HAL-HOW COULD THEY PASS UP A FREE DEAL? FREE SHUTTLES TO HAVENSIGHT WOULD BE NICE AND CERTAINLY WOULD HELP THE ECONOMICS OF THE CENTER.:)

Hi

We've been to St. Thomas a few times also and and docked at Havensight. It was very convenient. The last time we tried to walk back to the ship there from town, it seemed farther than we thought, so we ended up taking a cab.

We will be on the Emerald Princess at the end of Oct. and will dock on Oct. 30, which is a Tuesday. Needless to say, all the information exchanged on this thread has been very helpful. I did look at the picture and remembered that it was more of a straight shot from the Caribbean into the port than from where we'll be docked this time. It's like being first time cruisers, not having our "comfortable" dock this trip. LOL.

I'll be checking in now and then to see further updates. St. Thomas is one of my favorite ports.

Lynne

Archived