Who's itinerary has changed???

This is going to be the first cruise where I anticipate our itinerary being changed due to Frances. Anyone been on a cruise where there itinerary was changed? We're supposed to go to San Juan, St. Thomas, Nassau and Labadee (and sail tomorrow-Sat the 28th). We did the Western itinerary last year with the exception of Belize and was wondering if anyone's had a similar situation and where they took you instead...thanks!

On our first cruise, we missed Grand Cayman due to a tropical storm (couldn't tender) and because we had to stand by another disabled ship in the Gulf for a while. Instead we spent more time in Cozumel and Playa del Carmen.

Well.. You probably wont know about any changes until you get on the ship. All cruise lines reserve the right to change the ports of call at their discression. I know we have had ports changed and cancelled etc because of taxi strikes... or damage to the piers from stormss ( St Marteen). The cruise lines will do their best to give you a great vacation. So with a hurricane approaching.. they are probably looking at the options they have. It looks like the hurricane will come close to Puerto Rico and the Virgin Islands by early week.. so there is a possibility that this will affecting you.

I would plan that your trip will be somewhat altered. To what degree is anyones guess at this point and time..

Tom

We are totally bummed. The Radiance class ships have switched from New England Itinerary to Bahamas and Caribbean Itinerary. I have to change cruise lines or look for another Itinerary. *SIGH*

For a Halloween '98 cruise, we were supposed to go to Key West and then to Cozumel/Playa del Carmen but that was when Hurricane Mitch was over Cozumel. We made the stop in Key West as scheduled but were rerouted to Nassau, Bahamas for our second stop.

We actually boarded the ship knowing that we would not be able to go to Cozumel but having heard only RUMORS (many of which turned out to be false, of course!) as to where we actually would go. We didn't care--as long as we were on the ship, we were content!

We haven't heard anything yet with regards to the Mariner next Sunday - I think our ports of call will be clear by then, but our main concern is Port Canaveral.

I'm holding off until next week before I start calling RCI to find out contingiency plans.

No..Have not had to change yet.Even with several Sept sailings.Last year was close however.We left Galveston,heading to Key West.headed straigh toward hurricane Isabel.They were predicting all along that she would turn North.Ship never changed course,and the day we were in KW she was only a few hundred miles almost due east of us...Never felt a thing...

In September 1998, we were on the Monarch. Hurricane Georges was heading for Puerto Rico. Saturday was supposed to be a day at sea before arriving back in San Juan on Sunday. However, we spent Saturday in St. Thomas for the second time, having been there on Monday. They decided to provision the ship then for the next cruise, in case it wouldn't be able to stop the following Monday. They were not expecting us in St. Thomas, the stores were closed - the merchants were boarding up their stores bracing for the hurricane. It was interesting. I later heard that the following cruise in fact did not go to St. Thomas, and headed straight to Barbados where it stayed for 3 days.

SeaBaby

Leaving next Sunday from Pt Canaveral, to NAssau, and St Thomas and St Martin... I pray we don't have to spend more than the allotted day in Nassau,,, what if we ended up there the whole time,, ekkkk:eek:

We are leaving Monday on the Enchantment. We might be affected on our return, but I hope we make it all of our ports, but as long as I am on the ship, I will be happy!

For those of you that have had your itinerary changed, how do they notify you on the ship? I figure that I will find more info on the rcl site at the rcl online lounge!

Suggestion for those cruising with a storm or hurricane looming... Please plan to arrive early at port.

When Charley changed course, the Port Authority at Port Canaveral ORDERED all ships over 50,000T to be OUT of port by 2pm (or maybe it was 3pm) on Friday the 13th of Aug. This included the Sovereign, which was scheduled to sail at 5pm.

Those who arrived after that early deadline for ships clearing the port missed their sailing.

On todays Navigator sailing, the first port (Nassau) was cancelled. They will head straight to St Thomas, arriving on Tuesday.

That's interesting... Don't they usually post changes on their web page? I can't find it anywhere. This would put them in St. Thomas after the storm passes. I imagine they'll take a longer, more southerly route to get there. The normal route from Florida to the USVI is head on into the path of the storm.

I was on Celebrity's Century two years ago and we were diverted from the West to the East by Lili. We ended up with great weather the whole trip. It was almost entertaining, as I was watching our course with my GPS receiver. About an hour after the captain committed to the change, he made the announcement. We had a pretty good idea that it was going to happen ahead of time, of course, so it was funny watching the crew going on with the "original" plans as though nothing were different! :D

Theron

We are scheduled for the Majesty for 9-6. If Frances continues its present course, it would put it over Nassau on Thur, 9-2. Since Frances is now at least a Category 3, damage to Nassau (and Coco) could be substantial. Would RCI divert to somewhere else in this case to allow the Bahamas time to recover? If so Where? I do not relish the thought of three days in Key West.

Quite interesting that the ship is going directly to St. T -- looks to me like they will get to St. T about same time as storm passes to north -- there still could be some effects felt in St. T but hopefully not!!! Guess it will go a few other places & then just follow the storm back to FLA.

Unfortuately there are only 2 ways around Cuba -- eastern side & west.

Check out http://www.stormcarib.com tonight to see projected path & "how close it can get" -- click on Frances & scroll down full 3-4 pg report. Their projection puts it, as of now, nearly right on top of Nassau & Grand Bahama later this week!!!

Weather channel tonight said it's quite unusual to have 2 Category 4 Hurricanes so close together (Charley & Frances), but Frances may be a 5 tomorrow!!!

This past March we were on Navigator - Western

Labadee was cancelled - Freeport was substituted - a bit of a disappointment- we took a tour & we thought we were going to shop - the shops did not even open until we almost had to be back on ship Oh well- not the end of the world - saved money

Grand Cayman was also cancelled - we spent the day at sea - what could be bad - most of us were just as satisfied - some were disappointed - first time in Gr Cayman had planned to snorkel with sting rays - guess we will have to go back again.

Personally I loved the extra time at sea - more time to relax.

I didn't want to start a new Frances thread on this, but this looks like the a semi-appropriate place to put this.

I just ran across this article in our local paper of one special person's vacation plans having been ruined by hurricane Frances - http://www.tribnet.com/news/story/5509962p-5448278c.html.

But now quite as devestating, my Clinique sales lady was supposed to fly to Maimi for an 8-day catamaran trip. That's off and her work won't let her reschedule for next month.

The effects of this disaster truly spread far and wide.

Wow. If a child with a life threatening illness who suffers a major disappointment such as missing his Make A Wish vacation due to Frances can still see the bright side of these events, than the rest of us who are blessed with good health should SURELY be able to deal with our dissappointment in a similarly positive manner. Those children noted in the article are extraordinary and their parents handled the situation beautifully.

Archived