Help - Dubrovnik or Istanbul?

:confused: We're debating eastern Med cruise options for next year. In deciding between itineraries we must choose between Dubrovnik and Istanbul. The other ports on these itineraries are musts. After sailing past Dubrovnik on a previous cruise we decided it would be a beautiful port as well as historic. Istanbul sounds exotic in addition to its rich heritage. Venice, Ephesus and several Greek isles are common to the considered itineraries.

Help from those of you who have visited or researched both cities will be appreciated. Yes, we are leaning but don't want to influence your valued opinions.

If you have a choice of only one, I would definitely go with Istanbul. Dubrovnik is a beautiful town, rich in charm with lovely sophisticated shops and restaurants. But Istanbul is a world class city of 16 million people that resonates with history. The sights are among the most famous in the world,, the people are friendly and helpful. It is an experience you will never forget. And if you sail out of Istanbul it is breathtaking.

WOW, what a tough call! My first Med cruise called at DUB. I took a ship's tour that took us along the coastline north of the city. The scenery was beautiful, dotted w/ hundreds of tiny islands. We visited a few small towns (Ston & one other that escapes me), had seafood & a wine tasting in one. I came away feeling as if I'd witnessed normal Croatian life. On the last trip, I took a ship's tour to areas south of DUB. We went to the small resort island of Sveti Stefan & the town of Budva. Charming places, a few historical sites; but again a taste of normal every day life. At the end of the cruise, I (for the first time) actually walked inside the walled city of DUB. It is fascinating; & the views from atop the wall are gorgeous. But, one is basically walking in a maze of buildings. I appreciated the history & architecture for what it was; but I was not "bowled over" by it.

On these same 2 Med. cruises I visited IST. The last one, I stayed 4 nights pre-cruise in a small boutique-type hotel in Sultanahmet (the old city). On my first visit, I did a whirlwind full day ship's tour of the 4 top tourists sites (it was Sun. & the Grand Bazaar was closed). It was mind boggling. Just people watching (the clash between Eastern & Western style clothing), smelling the exotic smells, the architecture & the sounds of call to prayer from atop the minarets at the mosques was spellbinding. I felt immediately immersed in this culture. It wasn't until my last visit when I had a total of 6 days that I fell in love w/ the place. I walked til my feet felt like they were going to fall off. I rode the public transportation w/ the locals. I was able to enjoy their kind heartedness, above & beyond the "high pressure" sales tactics that is their livelihood. I began to peel through the layers of this city. I went further afield every day. Taking the ferry to small islands or other cities along the shores of the Bosphorus Sea (all considered part of greater IST). I can't wait to go back again & again.

It is easy to see where my preference lies. With an open mind & a friendly smile, IST can be a trully magical city. One not easily "tasted" in a one day port of call visit. Now if you were to have a 2 day port of call visit in IST, I would hands down say you MUST go to IST. At least you would have a chance to discover the contrasts of a city deeply rooted in history & religion & the modern influences that are taking hold. One day in DUB should satisfy your curiosity. But only if you promise to make a return visit to the Med. region & really "do" IST. :)

Thanks, you're descriptions are incredible - exactly the comparisons that are desired. If Istanbul is chosen we would hire a private driver. Dubrovnik would probably warrant discovery on our own.

Are there any Dubrovnik supporters to paint such a beautiful picture?

I would echo the sentiments of the others....I would go to Istanbul in a heartbeat. We were there this past July and loved it! The people, the atmosphere, the history.

When we informed friends of our cruise destinations, we heard nothing but terrists and safety issues. We told them they were misinformed. We have never felt so safe and welcomed. We had a great guide and driver, from Ekol tours, for the entire day...at much less than tours in any of the other ports.

He took us to a restaurant where the locals eat, and answered all of our many questions. At the Spice Market, they wanted us to try everything they had to sell, whether we cought or not.

I can't speak for Dubrovnik, never having been there, but we will be going there this summer.

Whatever you choose, have a great trip!

We called at both Dubrovnik and Istanbul May this year.

Dubrovnik is a wonderful place, and we really enjoyed our time there, but on a day's visit the main sight is walking around the wall, which takes a couple of hours

Istanbul is a historic international city with so much to see and do that in a day's visit you will only be scratching at the surface. I hope to go back some time to see more of the city.

Both are places worth visiting in their own right. If you want a day spent in one beautiful place taking in the atmosphere with time for a lesiurely lunch and some people watching, go for Dubrovnik. The downside is that it is a small place with up to seven ships visiting at one time, so can get swamped with day tourists in season.

Istanbul has much more to see and to buy, and you may consider it to be a quite exotic destination. However, to cram in as much as possible a visit is likely to be a long and tiring day. When we were there the Topkapi Palace was closed, but with our private guide (Ekol tours - highly recommended!) we still visited the Hippodrome, Blue Mosque, St. Sophia and Underground Cistern in the morning, had lunch, and did the Grand Bazaar and the compulsory visit to a carpet shop after lunch before needing to leave in plenty of time to get back to the port through the heavy traffic, which I'm told can take over an hour.

If you would like to see my photos of Dubrovnik and Istanbul these can be accessed at

Only you can decide which might be more to your own liking. However, my own view is that if there is a chance of going back to Istanbul another time for a longer visit you should consider Dubrovnik, as this can be sufficiently done in one day.

Paul S

I don't think there's any comparison between the two cities - we stopped at Dubrovnik on our recent cruise and we spent 6 days in Istanbul at the end of that cruise.

Istanbul is an incredible place rich in history as well as current day experiences. A city of 22 million +/-

Dubrovnik certainly has history but not of the same magnitude of Istanbul and you can cover the old walled city quite comfortably in a day.

Apples and oranges and I'd take the apples on this one.

My apologies, Cancruz.... I gave some incorrect information above. I had a momentary lapse of my senses & was confusing Croatia w/ Montenegro. My visit to Budva & Sveti Stefan was a tour from our stop at Kotor, Montenegro. (Which IMO is not to be missed. The sail into the Bay of Kotor, the walled city itself & the surrounding areas are spectacular, even in the rain.)

The 2nd visit to DUB & the aforementioned tour to the south of town was to the Konavle Valley & the town of Cavtat (pronounced "Savtat"). It was a lovely drive to the Dvori Restaurant which is located along a fast moving river. Servers in native costumes offered us finger sandwiches & drink at tables located just a few feet from the the paddle wheel & the "rapids". It was idyllic. The town of Cavtat was charming w/ one historical church & a circular harbor lined w/ shops & restaurants. It was pleasant to stroll there for an hour or 2; but not much else. Again, it was a view of normal everyday life.

I've been thinking about your plan to hire a driver/guide in IST. I'm sure opinions will vary on this. I'm not much of a walker (kinda lazy if you want to know the truth). If you plan to stick to all the major sites in Sultanahmet, they are so close together. If you plotted your route carefully, one thing flows into the next & on & on. For instance you could walk/taxi/tram from the port to Topkapi Palace; & start from there. A pleasant walk to Aya Sophia which flows (via a garden) over to Blue Mosque. Another short pleasant walk to the Hippodrome which is not far from the Grand Bazaar. If you are laden w/ purchases, you could taxi back to the port (or take the tram again). If you had sped through everything & you had a little more time, you could go out the other side of the G.B. toward the Spice/Egyptian Bazaar (much smaller but very interesting). By this time you've made a big loop through Sultanahmet & would find yourself back at the Bridge across the Golden Horn. It would be a full day; but you could probably work it all in. One big advantage of having a guided tour is that they could arrange advance tickets or at least speed you through the ticket lines (thus saving you precious time). IMO, a good guidebook (my preference are the D-K Eyewitness Guide Books) w/ detailed maps will provide all the information you need to fully understand & appreciate what you are seeing if you chose to go it alone.

I feel better now that I've cleared up my mistake. Whatever you decide, you're in for a real treat. I envy you.

...for the wealth of information. You know that planning is almost as much fun as the cruise. Your info makes the anticipation greater.

Depending on our decision we may have two days in Istanbul. Wripro, one of the cruises would sail from Istanbul after an overnight.

Liv4cruzin, DH has mobility/ health problems. To make the most of our day(s) we've found that private tours are the best. If he can't make it, he enjoys the atmosphere and allows me to explore. I would be walking the Dubrovnik wall alone or, hopefully, with new found CC friends. We make it work.

Ekol tours are the ones that we're considering in both Istanbul and Ephesus. Your recommendations are most reassuring, Paul S and teach2travel.

teach2travel, - small world. Still teach after retirement for cruise money. So many destinations - so little time (money.)

Happy travels to each of you!

I know you probably already picked the cruise you plan to take but one other suggestion is to go on the cruise that we are taking next week that goes to both Dubrovnik and Istanbul. We will be on the MSC Orchestra- leaving out of Venice on 9/20 and going to Bari,Italy; Katakolon/Olympia, Greece, Dubrovnik, Istanbul and Izmir Turkey. This will be my first cruise on MSC but I have already cruised on Costa, Holland America, Princess, Carnival and Royal Caribbean. I will write a review when we return on Oct. 1.

Paul S, Your pictures are fantastic. Thanks for sharing.

smgapp, I appreciate the invitation but I have to work this week. We haven't made a final decision. Can't wait to read your review. Problem is that we like a certain itinerary but it doesn't include Istanbul. To chose another cruise, that would include Istanbul, duplicates ports we have visited and leaves out others that we would like. I don't know why there isn't a cruise that goes exactly where we want. Maybe we could hire a yacht.:rolleyes:

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for your help. After much discussion and deliberation we have decided. We will get to visit both Istanbul (1 1/2 days) and Dubrovnik (1 day) at the expense of more Greek ports.:( We found a sale that we couldn't refuse. Now comes the fun part of planning tours and anticipating another great cruise experience.

Thanks!!!

Archived