Roatan is Replacement for Costa Maya

nasvhillecruise

I just copied & pasted a portion of an e-mail I received from NCL about my cruise on the Spirit March 2, 2008. Looks like Roatan is the replacement from November 18, 2007 to March 23, 2008. I tried to copy & paste & this is how it showed up, but it was on Norwegian Cruise Line letterhead. As this is my 1st cruise, what does everyone think of Roatan? I'll definitely be checking out that portion of the board right about now!!!

Page 1 of 3

September 13, 2007

IMPORTANT:

ITINERARY CHANGE INFORMATION

Dear Valued Travel Partners & Guests,Norwegian Cruise Line (NCL) has important information for you regarding Norwegian Spirit’s 7-Day Exotic Western Caribbean itineraries from November 18, 2007 until March 23, 2008. All guests booked on these sailings need to be aware of the change and travel partners are kindly asked to forward this information to their clients.

Because of the effects of Hurricane Dean to the port of Costa Maya, Mexico, we have revised the itinerary as noted below, replacing Costa Maya with a call to Roatan, Bay Islands, Honduras.

Should you have any questions, please call us at (800) 327-7030 Monday to Friday 8am to midnight EDT or Saturday and Sunday 9am to 9pm EDT and a Norwegian Cruise Line representative will be available to assist you.

Sincerely,

Crane Gladding

Senior Vice President, Revenue Management & Passenger Services

We went to Roatan on the Jewel last year and loved it. It is a beautiful island, not too developed yet. We did the Tabayana Beach excursion. They drive you over the island through the mountains to a beach where you can snorkel. There is a reef right off the beach. My kids loved it.

I had friend who was there last month. She did not do an excursion and just walked around. She was horrified because there is a lot of poverty and kids begging, so that is a drawback.

I've been to Roatan on several occasions. It is indeed a very poor island, and close to the port, the kids do tend to beg for money. On two occasions, I brought school supplies, and actually bought windows, yes actual glass windows for one of the schools who had computers donated, but only had holes in the computer room where the windows should have been. The poverty is absolutely real, and the cruise ship visits, although not completely the answer, do infuse dollars into the local economy. The people are actually very warm, and friendly, but also very poor.

The island itself, it one of the best islands in the Caribbean for diving, and snorkeling. The beaches are fantastic, and it really is a great stop, in place of the purpose built Costa Maya port.;)

It sounds great, & I think I'm more excited about it than Costa Maya. I had planned on doing the zipline/cave tubing tour in Belize, but now I think it sounds better in Roatan (w/o the cave tubing). Any thoughts?

cmdchiefthom

How in the world did you get windows onto the cruise ship? I will definitely plan on taking school supplies & such.

Definitely do the Tabayana Beach Party excursion. Go early so you can get good lounge chairs. Don't expect the lunch to be much more than sustenance, but the drinks are good!

It's a lovely beach with warm water and even the little ones can play in the water safely.

Does this tour include an open bar? And what sort of lunch items do they offer? We're considering our options, and with a 6 and 8 year old we want to keep things simple.

Roatan was our favorite port on our Carnival Valor cruise. Costa Maya was on the schedule but weather prevented us from docking.

I enjoyed the zip line, and we took an island tour with a guide I arranged previously from researching here.

There was an iguana farm... very interesting, and shipwrecks visible from shore. We went to some nice beaches and generally had a relaxing time there. Very beautiful scenery everywhere.

I arranged to buy the windows with dollars through a British woman who runs a SCUBA operation on the island. She had the school get a quote from a supplier, and I provided the cash. My Air Force JROTC classes raised money for the school in Roatan as a community service project. I also sponsor a couple of Honduran kids through the Christian Children's Fund. These kids need the basics, pencils, paper, chalk, folders etc., etc., etc., etc. It really makes you feel good to help them out.

This is a true story. On my first visit to the island, I arranged a private SCUBA excursion with the British operation, about a half hour from the cruise dock. The dive operation arranged for a Taxi, and four of us were met at the port. There was a young man, Eduardo, who was with the Taxi driver. Eddy, was probably 8 years old, and as we learned, the Taxi driver was perhaps 14. Eddy picked up all the dive gear for the four of us, and packed it in the back of the Taxi. As we traveled to the Yacht Club, Eddy talked about his school, his love of Footbol, and how his school was open until dark, to provide education to all the kids on the island. He was very proud of being able to speak English.

When we reached the Yacht Club, high on a bluff overlooking the water, Eddy started carrying our gear, including underwater video lights, batteries, a housing etc., down to the dock. I personally tipped him $20.00, as did the other buddy team. He, and the driver left, but he promised to come back after we finished diving. The dive operation owner asked how much we tipped him, and kind of scolded us about the $40 between the two dive teams. She told us that what we had just gave Eddy was more than his father would make in an entire month!

Eddy came back as planned, but with a different driver. As we returned to the cruise ship dock, Eddy asked if we wanted to take some cigars back to the ship. I love good cigars, and Eddy and I got out of the Taxi, and he talked with the vendors, and got me a great deal on a box. He had to leave before we really had a chance to say goodbye, he had the late shift at his school. I gave him another tip, and in my mind, Eddy took it back home and gave it to his family

We who cruise need to appreciate the economic impact we have on some of the places we visit, and the what it really means to the people who serve us.;)

ok, you gave me chill bumps. what a wonderful story!!!! although the picture in my mind of someone trying to carry windows on a cruise ship was priceless :D.

I LOVE the idea of tipping someone $20 & having it actually make an impact. We all have so much, & when going to places where people aren't so fortunate, the least we can do is give back. THANKS for sharing your story!

Roatan is a beautiful island. We've been twice. The first time, we went to Tabyana Beach -- which you can normally do in combination with a bunch of various options. We were going to do the glass bottom boat, or semi-submersible, or something of the sort, but the weather was too stormy and we couldn't get out.

The second time, we did the dolphin encounter, (also in combination with Tabyana Beach). It was at Anthony's Key resort, and we really enjoyed it.

Roatan is a huge favorite in our family. I have kids in their teens and 20's. Costa Maya is lovely but paired against Roatan it's incomparible. Lush, mountainous, beautiful beaches. BRING your bug spray though!!! Malaria is a very real problem there. However, locals and expats alike are working hard to eliminate the issue. Have a fabulous time.

We have done Roatan twice in the past 5 years. It is a relatively undeveloped island with few amenities, real restaurants, etc.

We usually have taken small packets of crayons and coloring books to give out to the children - they seem to appreciate it. we've done sea kayaking and snorkeling in the past and have spent some time just walking around. Quite a few Americans have moved there and set up tours, etc. Beautiful beaches and reef there.

It is not the created cruise stop like Costa Maya is, so we will enjoy this change in stops.

Dh & I are on the Nov. 25 Spirit sailing and are more than excited to learn we will be stopping at Roatan. This will make our 5th trip to the island and third trip within a 12 month period.

We enjoy taking school supplies to the children each time we stop there and love the beauty of the island as well as the people who live there.

The island has changed quite a bit since our first stop there about 4 years ago. However, the Roatan as we have known it in the past and even see it right now will disappear almost entirely once Royal Caribbeana finishes its new dock and pier area. The new pier with all the new shops that look like every other port in the Caribbean selling diamonds, tanzanite, Del Sol, etc. will overshadow the small Mom & Pop stores in Coxen Hole, pushing them out of business.

I'm very happy to be returning to the island so soon and look forward to spending my dollars with the islander owned shops.

Dianne

Archived