Just Back from 1 Month in Alaska

GMoney

Just got back today after a very long day of travel from a month in Alaska - 15 days on land and 14 days on Radiance of the Seas.

Details and pictures will be forthcoming, but suffice it to say that the trip - though very last minute - was absolutely amazing and I hope to return next summer (but almost definitely not by cruise ship). I know the season is over, but I'd be happy to answer any questions.

My itinerary and major activities were as follows:

> Anchorage

> Kennicott (day-long Root Glacier hike)

> Valdez (10 hour Columbia Glacier kayak)

> Homer (day-long kayak of Katchemak Bay)

> Seward (hiked Harding Icefield Trail at Exit Glacier)

> Seward (6 hour Kenai Fjord boat tour)

> Denali (shuttle bus to Wonder Lake)

> Hubbard Glacier

> Juneau (helicopter glacier trek and hike up Mt. Roberts)

> Skagway (White Pass Railway and HeliHike)

> Icy Strait Point (zipline and whale watching with FISHES)

> Ketchikan (Traitors Cover Bear Watching with Island Wings)

> Vancouver (hop on / hop off bus)

> Ketchikan (Misty Fjords by Floatplane with Island Wings)

> Hubbard Glacier

> Skagway (hike to Upper Dewey Lake)

> Sitka (whale watching)

> Vancouver (Capilano Suspension Bridge and Grouse Mountain)

Highlights by far and away were:

> The Columbia Glacier kayak (just paddling around in the water filled with bergy bits and seeing wildlife was humbling and amazing).

> The Harding Icefield Hike at Exit Glacier (because of the sheer physical accomplishment of hiking 8 miles RT, up about 3000 ft at a clip of 100ft / mile, the incredible views doing that provided, and the unexpected bear encounter).

Other observations and comments (to be expounded upon later):

> I was very happy I did my land tour and port excursions independently rather than through RCI.

> It was dismaying how many of the cruise ship pax seemed more interested in end-of-season tshirt sales and shopping rather than experiencing the beauty and opportunities of each port. The sheer commercial nature of some ports (ie - Diamonds International storefronts) was similarly disconcerting. Finally, I don't understand people who want to "see" Alaska entirely through the glass bubbles of ships, buses and trains. But hey, everyone has a different idea of what they want of vacation.

> If I was to do an Alaska cruise again, it would almost definitely be with HAL.

> I was very pleased with my B2B Radiance cruises if for no other reason than the sheer value of what I paid v. what I got out of the experience.

Again, thanks to those of you who helped make my vacation so satisfying and seamless through your expertise and knowledge; I am very grateful. It was also a pleasure to meet so many nice new people along the way.

Welcome back, Patrick - and thanks for summarizing the highlights of your trip. I'll look forward to reading more about it - after you've had time to rest a bit!

I'm curious as to why your next Alaska cruise would be on HAL?

**Whoa - Radiance went to SITKA?

Sounds like you had an amazing trip. I also feel like my next trip to Alaska will not be on a cruise ship. I'm glad I did it the 1st time, but our independent land trip was so awesome. I want to go back and experience some of the places, like Glacier Bay, in a different way!

Welcome back, Patrick - and thanks for summarizing the highlights of your trip. I'll look forward to reading more about it - after you've had time to rest a bit!

I'm curious as to why your next Alaska cruise would be on HAL?

**Whoa - Radiance went to SITKA?

Hi Nancy -

My vote for HAL is based on the fact that they have a more sizable presence in Alaska and has been in Alaska for longer than RCI, in addition to the fact that they own the Grayline of Alaska, which provides many land tour options. I think that gives them a powerful 1-2 combination that's hard to beat.

I know I'm stating the obvious to many of you who know AK, and I've read similar opinions on this board, but it really struck me seeing it in person how important it is to be able to package the land + sea portions, and how HAL and Princess just seem to be everywhere.

True, I did not sail on HAL in AK, so I cannot state this based on experience, but I have sailed HAL before, and the Denali portion of our tour (AKRR r/t from Anchorage to Denali and 2 night stay at the McKinley Chalet) was booked through Grayline, so our experience was almost exactly the same as that of the HAL guests.

It also seems like everywhere we went, HAL and Princess ships received more convenient and desirable berths in port.

The comment is really more of a complement to HAL than a criticism of RCI, which does a very nice job, but just hasn't been in region as long or have the same infrastructure.

On a separate note:

> Kennicott was one of my favorite places, and my trip there was based on your recommendation, so thank you!

> We were in Sitka from roughly 8a - 2p. It was a modified, end-of-season itinerary. I wish we had more time because Sitka seemed great.

Just got back today after a very long day of travel from a month in Alaska - 15 days on land and 14 days on Radiance of the Seas.

Details and pictures will be forthcoming, but suffice it to say that the trip - though very last minute - was absolutely amazing and I hope to return next summer (but almost definitely not by cruise ship). I know the season is over, but I'd be happy to answer any questions.

My itinerary and major activities were as follows:

> Anchorage

> Kennicott (day-long Root Glacier hike)

> Valdez (10 hour Columbia Glacier kayak)

> Homer (day-long kayak of Katchemak Bay)

> Seward (hiked Harding Icefield Trail at Exit Glacier)

> Seward (6 hour Kenai Fjord boat tour)

> Denali (shuttle bus to Wonder Lake)

> Hubbard Glacier

> Juneau (helicopter glacier trek and hike up Mt. Roberts)

> Skagway (White Pass Railway and HeliHike)

> Icy Strait Point (zipline and whale watching with FISHES)

> Ketchikan (Traitors Cover Bear Watching with Island Wings)

> Vancouver (hop on / hop off bus)

> Ketchikan (Misty Fjords by Floatplane with Island Wings)

> Hubbard Glacier

> Skagway (hike to Upper Dewey Lake)

> Sitka (whale watching)

> Vancouver (Capilano Suspension Bridge and Grouse Mountain)

Highlights by far and away were:

> The Columbia Glacier kayak (just paddling around in the water filled with bergy bits and seeing wildlife was humbling and amazing).

> The Harding Icefield Hike at Exit Glacier (because of the sheer physical accomplishment of hiking 8 miles RT, up about 3000 ft at a clip of 100ft / mile, the incredible views doing that provided, and the unexpected bear encounter).

Other observations and comments (to be expounded upon later):

> I was very happy I did my land tour and port excursions independently rather than through RCI.

> It was dismaying how many of the cruise ship pax seemed more interested in end-of-season tshirt sales and shopping rather than experiencing the beauty and opportunities of each port. The sheer commercial nature of some ports (ie - Diamonds International storefronts) was similarly disconcerting. Finally, I don't understand people who want to "see" Alaska entirely through the glass bubbles of ships, buses and trains. But hey, everyone has a different idea of what they want of vacation.

> If I was to do an Alaska cruise again, it would almost definitely be with HAL.

> I was very pleased with my B2B Radiance cruises if for no other reason than the sheer value of what I paid v. what I got out of the experience.

Again, thanks to those of you who helped make my vacation so satisfying and seamless through your expertise and knowledge; I am very grateful. It was also a pleasure to meet so many nice new people along the way.

I'm jealous that you got to spend so much time there! I returned last week from a 7 night ship on Vision of the Seas. It was wonderful and I can't wait to return. I want to do another Alaska cruise (I LOVE the service and convenience and the FOOD! LOL!), but on the other hand, I really enjoy travelling independently on land. Getting to set your own schedule and itinerary is a freedom that I rarely get to enjoy.

Anyways, I also agree with you about the shopping. Thankfully, my party was more interested in seeing the sights and beauty of Alaska than shopping for diamonds and tanzanite. I mean, I can buy diamonds at home!!! LOL! Through my travels it seems that the jewelry industry really thrives at very touristy spots (i.e. Santorini and on Ponte Vecchio in Florence). I browse for awhile, but only after I've finished seeing what I can't see at home.

I saw the Radiance (beautiful ship!) in Juneau and Skagway. Why did you do a B2B? I thought it's the same itinerary both seeks. Is it? I also agree with you about the berths in port. On VOS we were tendered in Juneau and parked behind Radiance in Skagway and it kinda made me feel like my ship was the ugly stepsister! LOL!

I look forward to seeing your pictures! Welcome home!

My vote for HAL is based on the fact that they have a more sizable presence in Alaska and has been in Alaska for longer than RCI, in addition to the fact that they own the Grayline of Alaska, which provides many land tour options. I think that gives them a powerful 1-2 combination that's hard to beat.

I know I'm stating the obvious to many of you who know AK, and I've read similar opinions on this board, but it really struck me seeing it in person how important it is to be able to package the land + sea portions, and how HAL and Princess just seem to be everywhere. It also seems like everywhere we went, HAL and Princess ships received more convenient and desirable berths in port.

The comment is really more of a complement to HAL than a criticism of RCI, which does a very nice job, but just hasn't been in region as long or have the same infrastructure.

I have only cruised Princess and RCCL in Alaska but I felt the same way. I felt like RCCL was an inferior cruise (in so many ways) on our cruise. The following year I cruised Princess and it was like night and day.

It came from everything from bad docking positions, to lack of Alaska seminars and speakers on the ship, to less shore excursions offered (at the time I was sticking with ship excursions for most excursions), to poor docking times, to lack of Alaska experience, etc... It was an inferior feeling on RCCL.

Once I knew what I didn't like about the RCCL cruise, I did a lot of research and was very pleased with Princess. I am sure HAL would have met my needs also.

Hi Nancy -

I know I'm stating the obvious to many of you who know AK, and I've read similar opinions on this board, but it really struck me seeing it in person how important it is to be able to package the land + sea portions, and how HAL and Princess just seem to be everywhere.

True, I did not sail on HAL in AK, so I cannot state this based on experience, but I have sailed HAL before, and the Denali portion of our tour (AKRR r/t from Anchorage to Denali and 2 night stay at the McKinley Chalet) was booked through Grayline, so our experience was almost exactly the same as that of the HAL guests.

It also seems like everywhere we went, HAL and Princess ships received more convenient and desirable berths in port.

On a separate note:

> Kennicott was one of my favorite places, and my trip there was based on your recommendation, so thank you!

> We were in Sitka from roughly 8a - 2p. It was a modified, end-of-season itinerary. I wish we had more time because Sitka seemed great.

Thanks for elaborating. I initially booked Radiance for our June 2007 Alaska cruise, then read comments like Coral's that had me wondering if I had made a mistake. After looking at itineraries on Princess and HAL, I cancelled RCI and booked the northbound Pacific Princess for its 3 glacier days. I eventually moved the cruise up 2 days to the Coral Princess to have more time in Alaska afterwards, rather than in Vancouver at the front-end of the trip. Princess was really great, and we loved the the Coral. However, if Radiance had still been going to Sitka on their northbound cruises as it did in 2006 - we might've stayed with RCI. I'm glad you got to visit Sitka.

I'm returning to Alaska next summer with a friend who wants to cruise there, so I chose a different itinerary on HAL. My one and only cruise on HAL wasn't great, but I'm hoping for a better experience in Alaska. Had Radiance been going northbound the same date as our HAL ship - it would've been a much harder decision.

Whew - I'm glad you enjoyed Kennicott, even though it didn't make your top two list! It was my favorite destination on our land trip, as it was so much more remote than any place we visited on land or sea. The half-day Root Glacier hike nearly did me in - so you must be in very good physical condition to have gone on so many long hikes and kayak trips!

I'm also curious as to why you chose to do the land trip and then b2b cruises from Anchorage? Had you considered cruising north, doing the land trip, and then cruising south?

I'm jealous that you got to spend so much time there! I returned last week from a 7 night ship on Vision of the Seas. It was wonderful and I can't wait to return. I want to do another Alaska cruise (I LOVE the service and convenience and the FOOD! LOL!), but on the other hand, I really enjoy travelling independently on land.

I have to admit that after so many cruises, I forgot (and underestimated) what a hassle it is to bounce from hotel to hotel, schleping luggage along the way. :eek: But it was worth it... :)

I saw the Radiance (beautiful ship!) in Juneau and Skagway. Why did you do a B2B? I thought it's the same itinerary both seeks. Is it?

The thinking behind the B2B was basically that we were travelling so far and I wanted to maximize the Alaska opportunity. I didn't mind a couple of repeat ports, in case the weather was bad on the first visit. The final factor was that the end of season cruise was a great deal.

The itineraries were slightly different though: the first was a traditional SB from Seward to Anchorage; the second was a Vancouver to Vancouver, with Ketchikna and Skagway as repeats and Sitka thrown in.

I'm returning to Alaska next summer with a friend who wants to cruise there, so I chose a different itinerary on HAL. My one and only cruise on HAL wasn't great, but I'm hoping for a better experience in Alaska. Had Radiance been going northbound the same date as our HAL ship - it would've been a much harder decision.

I've spent a total of 24 days on HAL's Noordam in the Caribbean and loved it. I think their Vista class ships are very nice (especially for cooler weather areas) and the service and food are just slightly better than RCI. Hopefully you will have a great time!

Whew - I'm glad you enjoyed Kennicott, even though it didn't make your top two list! It was my favorite destination on our land trip, as it was so much more remote than any place we visited on land or sea. The half-day Root Glacier hike nearly did me in - so you must be in very good physical condition to have gone on so many long hikes and kayak trips!

Looking back, Kennicott was the perfect way to kick off the trip. It is more remote and a bit of an adventure to reach, while not being impossible or challenging to get to. It immerses you in a slightly more authentic Alaska experience. I love the fact that it is not as commercial or well-traveled as Denali.

I was exhausted after the day on Root Glacier! It it's great how accessible it is. I will say that me spending the day on Root with a guide was a better experience than a halfday small group on Mendenhall, which is arguably a more stunning glacier. I felt I saw and did a lot more.

I'm also curious as to why you chose to do the land trip and then b2b cruises from Anchorage? Had you considered cruising north, doing the land trip, and then cruising south?

My whole AK trip was planned rather curiously, but bottom line, I was locked into the 2 cruises first and then slotted in the land portion. Fortunately, it all worked out perfectly. For me, I think I would have been very disappointed if my first major experience in Alaska had been seeing Diamond and Tanzanite International in Ketchikan. :eek:

I've spent a total of 24 days on HAL's Noordam in the Caribbean and loved it. I think their Vista class ships are very nice (especially for cooler weather areas) and the service and food are just slightly better than RCI. Hopefully you will have a great time!

Thanks! We'll be on the much smaller and older Veendam, but the itinerary is what I really liked about it.

Looking back, Kennicott was the perfect way to kick off the trip. It is more remote and a bit of an adventure to reach, while not being impossible or challenging to get to. It immerses you in a slightly more authentic Alaska experience. I love the fact that it is not as commercial or well-traveled as Denali.

I was exhausted after the day on Root Glacier! It it's great how accessible it is. I will say that me spending the day on Root with a guide was a better experience than a halfday small group on Mendenhall, which is arguably a more stunning glacier. I felt I saw and did a lot more.

Did you fly or take a van to McCarthy/Kennicott? We stayed at the Kennicott Glacier Lodge, and it was so nice to talk to people at dinner who traveled to Alaska from all over - and most did NOT cruise there!

My whole AK trip was planned rather curiously, but bottom line, I was locked into the 2 cruises first and then slotted in the land portion. Fortunately, it all worked out perfectly. For me, I think I would have been very disappointed if my first major experience in Alaska had been seeing Diamond and Tanzanite International in Ketchikan. :eek:

With the exception of Creek Street, I thought the shopping area closest to the cruise ships was far more attractive than the rest of downtown Ketchikan - and I'm not a shopper. Ketchikan was my least favorite port, so I'm glad things improved afterwards. Had it been my last experience in Alaska, it would've been a let-down.

Did you fly or take a van to McCarthy/Kennicott? We stayed at the Kennicott Glacier Lodge, and it was so nice to talk to people at dinner who traveled to Alaska from all over - and most did NOT cruise there!

I flew, which worked out well. Next time, I will drive the entire way, just for the experience.

I totally agree about KGL. The staff and guests were all very friendly. There were many Europeans staying there - no surprise I guess given how far there Euro goes here. :rolleyes:

I also thought the food was excellent.

Archived