Cruise out of Galveston, air, hotel

read52

We are taking a cruise of out Galveston, TX. We are coming from Maryland and flying into Houston. Where should we stay (we like to come in the day before) Houston or Galveston? How do we get to the dock? My son said it is about 30 min to 45 min to get to the dock from the two airports. We thought of renting a car and visiting with our son but San Antonio is about 4 hours away. Any suggestions?

If you are flying into Hobby (HOU) then the airport is about 45 minutes to an hour away from the pier. If you are flying into George Bush Intercontinental (IAH) then the airport is about 1.5 to 2 hours away from the pier.

If you just want a basic shuttle service, www.galveston-limo.com is popular with cruisers in Galveston.

We used a private car service to get from the airport to our hotel, hotel to pier, and pier back to airport. His name was Jose with South Houston Limo. I don't have the number off the top of my head but I located him through these boards.

Rental cars are available but be aware you will have to pay one way drop off charges. Also, on the return I don't believe any of the rental car agencies are open in Galveston on Sundays (I might be wrong on that).

Where to stay depends on what you want to do and when you're flight arrives. Personally I would head on down to Galveston if at all possible.

Check out www.galveston.com for info on places to go/eat/stay and check room rates.

If you want to stay about 25-30 miles from Galveston around the NASA area (Clear Lake area to us already here) you can find places to stay on

www.clearlakehotels.com

From this area you can visit NASA and the Kemah Boardwalk

www.kemahboardwalk.com

WE stayed at the Tremont House. It was truly first class--restored old hotel.

The bar served good drinks, and the dinner was excellent.

My wife would like to go back again.

There is a shuttle run from the hotel to the ship. You might rather be a bit early for it, since there can be quite a few other passengers trying to get there about the same time.

What date are you travelling? I agree the Tremont House is the best hotel. You could even walk the two blocks to get to the ship like we did in February. Mardi Gras is end of January/beginning of February. The only nice hotel we could find for the one night was the Hilton for our January 27th, '08 trip on the Voyager.

Shuttles sometime can pick you up at the airport and take you to the hotel, but then you have the delimma of the return trip after the cruise. You could rent a car for the entire week and leave it parked at the hotel (most hotels don't charge a parking fee to leave your car there).

You could arrange transfer through galveston limo for both ways.

WE stayed at the Tremont House. It was truly first class--restored old hotel.

The bar served good drinks, and the dinner was excellent.

My wife would like to go back again.

There is a shuttle run from the hotel to the ship. You might rather be a bit early for it, since there can be quite a few other passengers trying to get there about the same time.

I noticed that you are from Falls Church, VA. We are coming from Silver Spring, MD. Which airline did you use? Did you book the hotel ( and transfers )through RCCL?

We are going on the Voyager on March 23 (Easter). I am a teacher so we have to go when I am on break. We got hooked on crusing last Easter. I won airline tickets on the local TV station. We were trying to win them for my son's wedding. Right after we booked our flight we won the tickets. My husband and I decided to take a cruise because we always talked about it. We went out of New Orleans on Grandeur of the Seas and loved it. We live near Baltimore so in June we went on the Grandeur again to Bermuda. It was great because we did not have to pay airfare.

We were home in an hour after disembarking in June. We would have gone on another cruise at Christmas but our first grandchild will be born at Thanksgiving so we are going to San Antonio at Christmas to see him.

Southwest flies into Hobby which is closer to Galveston. The other airlines fly into IAH, which is way north of the city and about 1 1/2 hours to Galveston. You will find all sorts of hotels on the island in many different price ranges. I have my favorites and not so favorites, but it really comes down to personal taste. I have no problem with a nice inexpensive hotel, but we stayed at the older LaQuinta one time before a cruise and had to haul our luggage up 3 flights of stairs and the bed felt like it was a piece of foam over plywood. Not a good way to start a cruise. Good luck in all your planning. Please let me know if you I can help you in any way.

My son said it is about 30 min to 45 min to get to the dock from the two airports. We thought of renting a car and visiting with our son but San Antonio is about 4 hours away. Any suggestions?

You'll get better answers if you post to the Gulf Coast Departures board.

Anyhow, it's about an hour and a half from Intercontinental to Galveston on a good day, I'd budget more time than that. From Hobby it's 30 to 45 minutes, again on a good day. There have been freeway closures on I-45 that'll delay you at least 30 to 45 minutes if you hit one.

San Antonio to Galveston is closer to 5 hours, I'd estimate. Again, there's been freeway closures on I-10 that'll delay you and part of I-45 downtown has been closed. It's not a good time to be driving around Houston.

I live on the southwest side of Houston, it's been taking me about an hour to get to Galveston. However I forget to start clocking until I'm already on the freeway and I stop timing at the Causeway. I tend to drive 70-80mph, but I also know where the cops might be watching. :cool:

We agree with the comments about the airports. If at all possible fly into Houston Hobby. Cab fare from Hobby to Galveston is about $85 - $90 if you want to go that route. For us it is much simpler and quicker to just catch a cab than to rent a car of take the shuttle.

A couple posters suggested the Tremont House hotel and we a glad to hear that they enjoyed the hotel. We stayed there a couple years ago and, based upon our experience, give the Tremont very poor grades. Our stay there was memorible for all the wrong reasons.

We've booked the Moody Gardens Hotel for our next trip to Galveston. We've also heard some good reports on the Hotel Galvez

Deffinately fly into Hobby if you can

A fun and nice place to stay is Moody Gardens Resort in Galveston. They have all sorts of thing to do right there, a very nice aquarium, an omni theater, some quality zoo type displays. The hotel is very nice and they have covered parking available for cruise guest, of course if you are flying that probably isn't an issue.

We are taking a cruise of out Galveston, TX. We are coming from Maryland and flying into Houston. Where should we stay (we like to come in the day before) Houston or Galveston? How do we get to the dock? My son said it is about 30 min to 45 min to get to the dock from the two airports. We thought of renting a car and visiting with our son but San Antonio is about 4 hours away. Any suggestions?

I agree with the other posters about both Clear Lake and the Tremont House (it is a treat - but if not try the Galvez - both old Historic hotels). The other poster was right about flying into Hobby especially from Baltimore. I think SW has some non-stops from BWI to HOU and if you subscribe to DING on SW you may find some killer fares. (I've used Ding many times and saved hundreds in air fare). Just go to the SW website and download DING!

You'll love all of these places, I'd offer up our beach house on the island, but it's quite a drive and away from it all!

We have cruised out of Galveston a couple times. We came up with our recepie for fun. We take a taxi out to galveston and stay at one of two hotels (the Tretment House or The Hotel Galvez). They arranged transportation to the terminal at the hotel. Then relax. There is lots to do...or nothing to do if you desire. The Hotel Galves was a nice place to stay.

We have cruised out of Galveston a couple times. We came up with our recepie for fun. We take a taxi out to galveston and stay at one of two hotels (the Tretment House or The Hotel Galvez). They arranged transportation to the terminal at the hotel. Then relax. There is lots to do...or nothing to do if you desire. The Hotel Galves was a nice place to stay.

About how much is a taxi from Houston Hobby to Galveston?

I agree with the other posters about both Clear Lake and the Tremont House (it is a treat - but if not try the Galvez - both old Historic hotels). The other poster was right about flying into Hobby especially from Baltimore. I think SW has some non-stops from BWI to HOU and if you subscribe to DING on SW you may find some killer fares. (I've used Ding many times and saved hundreds in air fare). Just go to the SW website and download DING!

You'll love all of these places, I'd offer up our beach house on the island, but it's quite a drive and away from it all!

We are going to look at Southwest but they have not opened up later March yet. We have flown Southwest several times. In fact we are flying Southwest at Christmas to visit with our son, dil and new baby.

We are going to look at Southwest but they have not opened up later March yet. We have flown Southwest several times. In fact we are flying Southwest at Christmas to visit with our son, dil and new baby.

Still seems to be the best thing going when shopping for low cost air, although my wife hates the boarding process - but then again she didn't grow up with SW Air like I did down here in Texas!

About how much is a taxi from Houston Hobby to Galveston?

We googled some Houston taxi companies and expect that taxi fares will be about $85. I think you can put up to four people in the cab so the price is not too bad as the shuttle prices are per person.

Southwest flies into Hobby which is closer to Galveston. The other airlines fly into IAH, which is way north of the city and about 1 1/2 hours to Galveston. You will find all sorts of hotels on the island in many different price ranges. I have my favorites and not so favorites, but it really comes down to personal taste. I have no problem with a nice inexpensive hotel, but we stayed at the older LaQuinta one time before a cruise and had to haul our luggage up 3 flights of stairs and the bed felt like it was a piece of foam over plywood. Not a good way to start a cruise. Good luck in all your planning. Please let me know if you I can help you in any way.

We know what you mean about the old LaQuinta. We stayed there once, although the elevator was working it was in pretty poor shape. There is a new LaQuinta out around 81st street area that we are staying in for one night for our March 2008 cruise.

Hypo

We just did the Rhapsody on her last cruise in August and used Enterprise.We flew into Bush and was in a car in a very short time.We had the car Thur. PM until Sun. AM and it was only about 60 bucks for the whole time. There was no drop off fee.The trick is to call the airport office directly. We talked to a lady named Ashley and received great service.We will use them again if ever the need arises.

Still seems to be the best thing going when shopping for low cost air, although my wife hates the boarding process - but then again she didn't grow up with SW Air like I did down here in Texas!

We have gotten cheap flights with Southwest. My dh has a disability so in the last 2 years we have been able to preboard. I am new to this board so I am not sure how to move on this board. Thanks to whoever moved this post.

We book our flight on Continental, got a room at Best Western, and went with the limo service out of Bush airport (Bush airport had better times for flights and they were nonstop). Limo service was only $10 more from Bush than Hobby but the flight times were better. We were looking at Airtran and it would have gotten us in the DC area at about 11:30 at night. I have to work the next day so that would not be good.

Archived