Formal night: food for thought.

mgg42

Now I know that formal night threads sometime get a little hairy. But I am hoping not to have this go in that direction!

I understand that there are certain people that want a formal night, and certain people that do not.

What if, on the ships with two dining rooms, they gave people a choice? On the predetermined formal nights, the same cuisine would be served in both DR's and when you book you REQUEST formal or casual?

It would mean that one night, your typical dining pattern would be disrupted (maybe shifting DR's and staffs).

Of course, the caveat to this would be that the preference would be a REQUEST, and could not be guaranteed. Just like a certain seating, if they can accommodate your request, they will, but you would have to have some tolerance for the other scenario (after all, if you don't get the dinner seating you request, you can't simply refuse to go at the other time and instead show up when you want).

I'm sure there are logistical problems with this, but I'm curious what people think.

But, isn't that what they already do nightly with the Lido Deck food?? I guess I don't see the point of formal night if you're not formal- call me crazy! :)

It will probably be a good thought if Carnival ever went to freestyle cruising though..

I think it is a great idea. I have been to the Lido deck on some cruises and I do not think the food is as good as the Main DR. I think people on these boards are way too serious about formal night. Afterall, it is a vacation and who wants to put THAT much time, effort, and thought into what they are wearing to dinner.

My only question is... if the people on these boards are that serious about something so petty as what you wear to dinner, how do they possibly enjoy their vacations? Relax people.. that's what a cruise is for.

But, isn't that what they already do nightly with the Lido Deck food?? I guess I don't see the point of formal night if you're not formal- call me crazy! :)

It will probably be a good thought if Carnival ever went to freestyle cruising though..

They do not serve the same food on Lido deck as they serve in the dining room. I for one love the food served in the dining rooms for dinner. We just got back from a cruise on the Legend and it was pretty port intensive, there were several nights I would have chosen the casual simply because I had enjoyed my ports to the fullest and was exhausted. But I dislike the food on the Lido deck enough to have pulled myself in the shower and got dressed for dinner!!!

I think it is a great idea. I have been to the Lido deck on some cruises and I do not think the food is as good as the Main DR. I think people on these boards are way too serious about formal night. Afterall, it is a vacation and who wants to put THAT much time, effort, and thought into what they are wearing to dinner.

My only question is... if the people on these boards are that serious about something so petty as what you wear to dinner, how do they possibly enjoy their vacations? Relax people.. that's what a cruise is for.

I personally enjoy Formal Night and dressing up. It's part of the reason we choose Carnival - they offer 2 Formal Nights per week. It may not be for everyone though and that's why they have alternative dining. If I didn't want formal though, I'd probably consider Free Style cruising with another line. That's just me though :)

But, isn't that what they already do nightly with the Lido Deck food??

That is sort of true. But as someone else pointed out, the food and service aren't always of the same quality.

I like formal night myself. But I respect that some people would prefer not to dress up. I just wonder what the proportions are. If it is a vocal minority of 5 or 10 percent that want to be casual, then it wouldn't work. But if it's closer to half, then it would be fine.

Perhaps it's only a quarter who want to be casual, then they could make one of the DR's casual at one of the seatings.

if you weren't guarenteed your choice, then what if you don't want to get dressed up and you don't get the dining room you want and you don't have formal clothes?

No offense, but I think it works just fine the way it is. Those who don't want to get dressed up either eat upstairs on the lido deck or else they just come in the dining room dressed however they want to.

When I say it works just fine now, I would like to make a caveat. I have never seen anyone get turned away from the dining room for improper dress. I wish that they would turn people away who wear baseball caps and other inappropriate dress, but I have never seen it happen on 20 cruises.

Afterall, it is a vacation and who wants to put THAT much time, effort, and thought into what they are wearing to dinner.

I agree with you 100% (although I know we are in the minority.) I dress up all the time for work, attend black tie events, both through work and charity events we support, several times a year. To me a vacation is time to relax. To me, that means not fussing with formal night. I respect others' opinions and completely understand that many (most) do enjoy it. But for me, I would prefer to be more casual. We rarely even do the pictures on formal nights because (1) the lines are usually long and (2) some of our best family pictures are casual ones on the beach.

This is the reason we travel on land based vacations almost 2:1 over cruising. On our last cruise, we went to one formal night and skipped the second one. That's fine with me - but to the OP's question, I would prefer a more casual option every night (and no, I don't mean the Lido deck.)

Here's a thought. What if you could order room service off the dining room menu? That would be a great compromise. I'm perfectly happy having a romantic dinner on my balcony either in my casual clothes or in my bathrobe ;) . That way, those who don't want to get dressed up can still take part in the delicious dining room food.

Here's a thought. What if you could order room service off the dining room menu? That would be a great compromise. I'm perfectly happy having a romantic dinner on my balcony either in my casual clothes or in my bathrobe ;) . That way, those who don't want to get dressed up can still take part in the delicious dining room food.

I have done this on Royal Caribbean, they'll pretty much bring you anything you want on the menu to your room. I also have friends who have been on 6 Holland Cruises (young Harley/Norton riding couple- go figure) They almost never do formal night, instead they have their formal night dinner served to them on their balcony. Sounds so romantic.

As to the point the OP was making... this sounds alot like what NCL does with their freestyle cruising. Formal night optional, with one restaraunt set aside for this. I second most opinions, that I like formal night the way it is. Have never missed a formal night, it's one of the things that brings me back on a cruise every year and that makes a cruise vacation a little bit different than any other kind of vacation. And for those of you that think getting dressed up is too much of a pain in the a%@, there are many other options available to you.

There are cruise lines that offer this, and there are cruiselines that offer dining room menu through room service. There is something out there for everyone. I think it is fine how it is... I may not attend every formal night, but the food in the dining room isn't so "to die for" that I just have to go... I just choose another dining venue... it's not like the formal night on Carnival is something you have to completely deck out for, although our group usually does... so I just don't see what the big deal is. The food on formal night is actually some of the less desirable food during the course of the week in my opinion (the lobster is more like a large prawn :p LOL)

I don't see how that scenario would ever work... the numbers would be off and the Maitre'D would have to make dining assignments far enough out for people to pack the appropriate attire. But there are lines that offer freestyle dining, so I say leave it as it is... I for one will just skip the dining room if I don't want to dress up... the turkey on country roll is always right around the corner :D:D

I have no problem dressing for dinner, what I do have a problem with is being on a schedule. I might not feel like getting dressed if we are in the middle of something or just relaxing. Because of this we miss dinner in the dining room. I like to get dressed when I'm ready while on vacation. I see them changing to personal choice dining just like Princess down the road.

I also agree they should have more warm food options for room service.

I have done this on Royal Caribbean, they'll pretty much bring you anything you want on the menu to your room. I also have friends who have been on 6 Holland Cruises (young Harley/Norton riding couple- go figure) They almost never do formal night, instead they have their formal night dinner served to them on their balcony. Sounds so romantic.

As to the point the OP was making... this sounds alot like what NCL does with their freestyle cruising. Formal night optional, with one restaraunt set aside for this. I second most opinions, that I like formal night the way it is. Have never missed a formal night, it's one of the things that brings me back on a cruise every year and that makes a cruise vacation a little bit different than any other kind of vacation. And for those of you that think getting dressed up is too much of a pain in the a%@, there are many other options available to you.

We had to order from the room service menu on Royal... which was more extensive than Carnival, but we weren't allowed to order anything from the dining room from the menu...

Your idea has already been tried on NCL. They did the 2 dining rooms thing with one being all formal the other all casual. After several years of it not working for various reason they threw in the towel and now they offer no more formal nights in any of the dining rooms(some ships have 12 dining rooms). They have one or two nights simply called "Dress Up or Not" night. So those that must can and those that won't will not be turned away. Sorta does away with what traditional cruising is all about but it's the wave of the future on ships. While I love dressing up on formal nights I would gladly give it up for a smoke-free cabin and balcony.

I have no problem dressing for dinner, what I do have a problem with is being on a schedule. I might not feel like getting dressed if we are in the middle of something or just relaxing. Because of this we miss dinner in the dining room. I like to get dressed when I'm ready while on vacation. I see them changing to personal choice dining just like Princess down the road.

I also agree they should have more warm food options for room service.

thumbsup2.gif

We had to order from the room service menu on Royal... which was more extensive than Carnival, but we weren't allowed to order anything from the dining room from the menu...

Yes, this is how it is now on RCL. You used to be able to get almost anything on the regular dining room menu. Then a few ships stopped doing this and then it was fleet wide. We used to do the same thing at breakfast, ordered almost anything, even if it wasn't on the little menu that hangs on your door, we would just write down what we wanted, but on our last cruise they didn't bring it. Oh well. Another change for the worse.:rolleyes:

I want it to stay the same. If you do not want to go formal, go to the Lido deck, that it is what it is for. I love getting dressed up for formal night, and I would be so disappointed if they ever changed that. I want to be able to go to the dinning room I always go to and have the waiter that knows what I want, yes even after just one night, wait on me.

I want it to stay the same. If you do not want to go formal, go to the Lido deck, that it is what it is for. I love getting dressed up for formal night, and I would be so disappointed if they ever changed that. I want to be able to go to the dinning room I always go to and have the waiter that knows what I want, yes even after just one night, wait on me.

I agree totally. On our 5 night cruise on the Elation during spring break when we had hoards of college kids aboard, the vast majority were dressed appropriately for formal night. I suspect most of the ranting about casual dress on formal nights we see on these boards is from the same handful of people who either expect total compliance or hate the concept of looking elegant for one or two nights.

Doc:p

I agree totally. On our 5 night cruise on the Elation during spring break when we had hoards of college kids aboard, the vast majority were dressed appropriately for formal night. I suspect most of the ranting about casual dress on formal nights we see on these boards is from the same handful of people who either expect total compliance or hate the concept of looking elegant for one or two nights.

Doc:p

Hey Doc, I see that you are leaving in 9 days, yea for you. Enjoy your cruise and that formal night. you must be so excited.

I do not understand why people get into such a tizzy over one or two nights. It is a rule, and IMO I like that rule. I just wish it was really enforced (turn people away at the door if not dressed appropriately). I think that is why some people think that they "can get away with it".

OK now, pass the popcorn ;)

Now I know that formal night threads sometime get a little hairy. But I am hoping not to have this go in that direction!

I understand that there are certain people that want a formal night, and certain people that do not.

What if, on the ships with two dining rooms, they gave people a choice? On the predetermined formal nights, the same cuisine would be served in both DR's and when you book you REQUEST formal or casual?

It would mean that one night, your typical dining pattern would be disrupted (maybe shifting DR's and staffs).

Of course, the caveat to this would be that the preference would be a REQUEST, and could not be guaranteed. Just like a certain seating, if they can accommodate your request, they will, but you would have to have some tolerance for the other scenario (after all, if you don't get the dinner seating you request, you can't simply refuse to go at the other time and instead show up when you want).

I'm sure there are logistical problems with this, but I'm curious what people think.

Could there be a reason why NO CRUISELINE HAS EVER TRIED THIS? Other than the fact that it cannot possibly work? On any 7 day or longer cruise, in excess of 80% of pax dress according to the dress code. Many times, if not most times, well in excess of 80%. The one formal, one casual idea[?] could only work in a 50/50 split. And as others have said, there is the Lido buffet. No its not the same food, AND its not the Formal Dining room either. You want everything but to abide by the conditions you agreed to when you booked, i.e., dress according to the dress code or use alternative dining. Those were your choices on Carnival, want different choices? Change Carnival or change lines.

Dan

I guess I just don't get it. Is it THAT awful to put on some nice clothes for a few hours? And if the thought of dressing up is so horrendous to you, it's not as if you're required to starve. There are plenty of alternative dining choices. What is the big deal? It's a dress/suit for 2 or 3 hours. I must be missing something.

I do not understand why people get into such a tizzy over one or two nights. It is a rule, and IMO I like that rule. I just wish it was really enforced (turn people away at the door if not dressed appropriately). I think that is why some people think that they "can get away with it".

Well it's not enforced. So until they do enforce it or change it it will always be a hot topic.

Well - the policy is actually a "soft" formal night. First, the dress code itself does not meet the requirements of a true formal night, and second, the maitre'ds typically allow dress that does not meet the dress code.

I think Carnival is trying to accommodate as many as they can but keep up the pretense of a formal night - a sorta formal night that you can follow if you wish.

icon_weirdface.gif

It seems that some people (not necessarily anyone here, just generally) are under the misapprehension that formal somehow means that you have to spend hours getting ready. I wouldn't expect anyone to do that, seeing as there are plenty of ways to look presentable without spending your whole day on it.

Personally, I bring a couple of dresses that don't wrinkle, throw one on, slip on some heels, brush my hair, and go. If I'm feeling motivated, I'll spend an additional 5 minutes on makeup. Once you've showered, you can easily be appropriately dressed in the same amount of time it takes to change into shorts and a t-shirt.

Archived