Blue jeans and T-shirts?

bearhall

Are blue jeans and T-shirts acceptable wear during the day onboard ship? If not I guess I can use the space in my luggage for other clothes.

I have seen plenty of T-shirts--with shorts and casual pants--I have never seen blue jeans on Silversea or Seabourn!

I will experience my first Silversea cruise next April and I'm looking forward to it very much. The other folks on board will see jeans on me during the day unless I see something in writing from Silversea that changes my mind. I live in jeans. I simply can't fathom someone saying jeans are inappropriate for daytime casual touring. It will be jeans or, if very hot, bermuda shorts for me. Unless Silversea specifically bans jeans, I will be in them even if some self-appointed fashion posse frowns upon them. In the evening, I will cheerfully follow ship's policy and enjoy doing it, will bring the tux etc. and have a great time. Patrick

I guess some folks need to have everything spelled out for them. So here goes, Oregon. The subject was jeans. One poster suggested jeans aren't worn on Silversea during the day. Another said, essentially, yes they are. "I've seen them." I said I can't believe any cruise line would ban jeans during the day and until Silversea does I'll wear jeans. Sorry that point was hard for you to fathom. Hope this helps. Pat

Are blue jeans and T-shirts acceptable wear during the day onboard ship? If not I guess I can use the space in my luggage for other clothes.

Just make sure that your jeans don't have a Wal-Mart label and the t-shirt doesn't read "Skateboarding is not a crime."

Now for the real question: Are tattoos permissible on Silversea? :-)

On my Caribbean and other tropical cruises, docker type shorts are more common, as jeans are just too hot! I have seen a lot such shorts during the day. "T" shirts are another matter depending on your definition. There are dressier "Ts" which are usually in a solid color and of a material different than the kind with Budweiser logos on them! Indeed, I have seen such dress "Ts" worn with slacks and sports coat on informal nights -- and this combination looked sharp! But I have never seen the "Budweiser logo" type "Ts" worn on any lux cruise.

Richard - Even though we would all agree that Budweiser T-shirts would be quite declasse, how about T-shirts with the logos of very expensive micro-breweries or perhaps exotic beers, such as Singha from Thailand? Their logo is quite nice, with a rampant dragon (or is it a camping dragon??). Maybe the safest thing would be to wear those T-shirts with the pattern of a tux on them. That might satisfy the tux-fanatics and the people who apparently have never seen a pair of levis on board any SS ship (even though a lot of other people seem to have seen such). Cheers, Fred

Just make sure that your jeans don't have a Wal-Mart label and the t-shirt doesn't read "Skateboarding is not a crime."

Now for the real question: Are tattoos permissible on Silversea? :-)

Yes to the real question above..I have been on SS cruises and I have tattoos,and I have never been told to cover them up and actually I have started some very nice converstions with pax and crew.My back is almost completley covered with a flower garden,butterfllies etc. re having had breast cancer..I needed to have something pretty to counteract the not so pretty. I am 62 and still finding garden items to have put on as well.So,if you are on a cruise with someone who is being whispered about it may just be me,and I will be more than happy to say hello!!! BTW,I wear jeasn all the time even very dressy ones at night.:D :D

Way to go, cberge! If I see you by the pool, I'm going to walk over and give you a hug. By the way, if you haven't already, try a cruise in French Polynesia, perferably the Paul Gauguin. That's the tatoo capitol of the world. It's great fun just being on the ship watching folks strutting around sporting their new tatoos. I'm sure the fashion posse would be appauled (making it that much more delightful). Patrick

I feel that good jeans on a later fall Rome to Athens would be a must for some of the shore sexursions there. Other trousers might get soiled or damaged. And, once dressed in jeans for the excursion, I see no need to change until 6:00 pm when the evening dress code goes int effect -- and neither do other SS guests, as I have seen it.

I don't think "T" shirts with ANY logo on them are appropriate, according to what I've seen others do.

Tatoos? Lets get real. There are multi-,illionaires who have them these days.

On a realted topic, I always fly in new, heavy jeans. As I learned in the USAF, heavy cotton garments are the safest to wear while flying. In the event of a mishap involving a cabin fire, they provide more insulation for your legs. Also, they don't melt and stick to your skin (causing serious burns) like other fabrics do. All USAF Flight suits are of heavy cotton.

A Fall shore excursion? Depends on where it's going. If it is going to rural areas and small villiages, the tour busses that are used on Regent's excursions are fine. But if the tour is of some ancient large city with its narrow streets and alleys, a bus just can't get you to all of the things you would enjoy seeing. For that, we try to get with a one or two other couples and go in on a limo, and split the fare. Sometimes, this is even a less costly alternative as well.

And nice jeans are a very good thing to wear on these tours, either way. Especially in Europe, where jeans are considered to be more upscale garments than we consider them in the US.

Having been on flights to cruises that have terminated at points that are litterally on the other side of the world from each other, I see very few gentlemen wearing coats and ties to fly. Now, I often add a sports jacket to my jeans and sport shirt combo (a combination worn a lot here in Okla.) just to have more pockets, and to save me from packing that sportscoat.

About the only men I see in coats and ties are on flight "legs" to some major city. These men are working on their laptops, and are obviously on business trips, and want to be in business attire when their associates meet them at the airport. I did the same when I used to go on business trips. I don't go on these any longer, thank heavens!

Richard-

The heavy cotton Jeans while flying is an excellent idea - I too have heard that in the event of a fire on an airplane - the best fabric to wear is cotton for the reasons you identified. I will be wearing Jeans on my Air France Flights :)

Todd:

Right, and which of us has not gotten food or dribbled a drink on our trousers on a long flight? I do, so I not only wear jeans, but also make sure that they are very dark blue. They don't show such spills, and clean up easily. Actually, such jeans (new and in good shape) plus a sports shirt and sports jacket is actually acceptable just about everywhere here in Oklahoma. That's what Presidential candidate Bill Richardson wore at a high dollar fund raiser here last spring.

One does not need to be banished to Carnival to wear nice, new jeans on board during the day. SS will do just fine. Just know that after 6:00 PM you must dress "to code" in all public areas, and jeans do not fit the code. Frankly, I have seen some men on SS on casual and informal nights whose slacks were so worn, ill-fitting, and out of style that they would have looked better in nice, new jeans.

Just to add one more tidbit on this matter which I forgot to post above. One day on our Cloud cruise September '06, I had been on a shore excursion of the type wherein I felt nice new jeans would be most appropriate and practical. Many men on the excursion apparently felt the same way. So for the rest of the day, I wore my jeans, and was served in restaurants and bars onboard with no problems. But sometime around 5:00 pm or so, my watch stopped, and I did not know it. I tried to get a drink at the bar, and was informed I would have to dress to that evening's code (formal) as it was after 6:00 pm. I then saw that my watch was not running, checked the time elsewhere, appologized, went to my suite, and "tuxed up." I went back to the bar and was served, and the bartender and I had a laugh about it.

I've been told by SS "regulars" and senior staff that the "regulars" have made in clear on the comment cards and elsewhere that they prefer rather strict enforcement of the evening dress codes. And SS has listened to them and does so. So those who are not willing to comply with the after 6:00 pm dress codes SS has should chose another line, though it needn't be Carnival. But during the day before 6:00 pm, all one must do is to dress in a "presentable" fashion. For those who have booked SS, it should not be necessary to explain what "presentable" means. It is not a matter of the fabric of which your trousers or shorts are made, but is a matter of the condition of same, and how they look on you. One can look great in good jeans or shorts and a sports shirt, and look like a bum in a suit and tie.

Archived