norman island

winemistress45

First time poster - Patouche is perfect for the Caves - I am going to start posting more on this sight because I visit many of the Virgins and personally know some of these people. I went out with Joe to Anegada in July and the trip was incredible - had the Lobster Lunch at Big Bamboos -perfect and well worthmy $30 - power catamaran trip was fast and smooth - he told me they are changing their name to Blue Sail BVI this year - but I just checked and the Patouche.com website is still up. Good move on the Patouche name - I don't know what it means - but Blue Sail BVI sounds better - kinda like the Red Sail in the Caymans.

First time poster - Patouche is perfect for the Caves - I am going to start posting more on this sight because I visit many of the Virgins and personally know some of these people. I went out with Joe to Anegada in July and the trip was incredible - had the Lobster Lunch at Big Bamboos -perfect and well worthmy $30 - power catamaran trip was fast and smooth - he told me they are changing their name to Blue Sail BVI this year - but I just checked and the Patouche.com website is still up. Good move on the Patouche name - I don't know what it means - but Blue Sail BVI sounds better - kinda like the Red Sail in the Caymans.

Joe? Who is Joe? A Patouche owner? Captain?

Julie has been corresponding with me and is just a delight. They are super responsive.

We are only able to do a half day -- no lobster (as far as I know) for $80 p.p.

They can take a max. of 12 and at this time we have 7 --- it should be fun.

What is the snorkeling like out there?

Patouche loosely translated means untouched, as in virgin. The name was started by Frenchie & Claudia, the original owners of Patouche, which at that time consisted of just one boat, the cat that is now named Shamwari. Joe and Julie became the owners something like 7 or 8 years ago now and have built it into a nice little fleet. Great people with a good crew. I've known them since they started.

Norman Island is a short sail across the Drake Channel, nice and relaxing. The caves are just that, caves on Norman that are at the waters edge and you can snorkel into them, very popular.

we went to Norman Island with Patouche last year. best snorkeling we ever had. One of the guides went into water with us and provided a wealth of information first hand .You can swim into the caves, or not.definitely worth it...

does anyone know if there are any other tour operators that do Norman Island and the caves besides Patouche? Our ship is in port from 7am to 3:30 p.m. Not enough time for Patouche! Maybe we just don't have enough time period, with any tour operator. Any insight to this would be greatly appreciated. My "excursion planning ticker clock" is counting down FAST and I still have plans to make!:eek:

does anyone know if there are any other tour operators that do Norman Island and the caves besides Patouche? Our ship is in port from 7am to 3:30 p.m. Not enough time for Patouche! Maybe we just don't have enough time period, with any tour operator. Any insight to this would be greatly appreciated. My "excursion planning ticker clock" is counting down FAST and I still have plans to make!:eek:

I did a ton of research on different sailing excursions for snorkeling.

I don't think from my research that the time frame is going to work for these tours -- but if you chartered a boat you could do it on your terms.

I didn't see too many boat charters in Tortola -- more in St. Thomas.

Have you tried emailing Patouche and asking them? They orig. said they didn't want to do half day charters but are doing it for us -- maybe they could do a morning one on your date --- we are doing an afternoon one because we don't arrive til noon -- so if you think about it -- they could techically take a group out in the morning and one in the afternoon.

I would email them and see how booked they are -- they just might do it or offer you a suggestion for someone else that might be able to help you.

Julie is great and VERY responsive.

Their email address is on their website.

Let us know what you end up finding out.:)

Is Carnival running the "Virgin Islands Sailaway" excursion on your cruise? We did that excursion last year on Carnival Legend (port time 7-2), and they sailed over to Norman Island for snorkeling. We had a great time - there was a stop near the caves first, then a stop at the beach. It was supposed to be an 8-12 excursion, but we ended up with a line fouled in the cat's propeller and arrived back an hour late. Since it was a ship's excursion, we weren't worried about being late (except it cut into shopping time.) I try to book independent tours where possible, but I never found an equivalent tour to this one in the limited time we had in port.

nybumpkin....actually yes, Carnival is offering the Virgin Island Sailaway tour. Glad to hear that this was a good tour for you. I think that we may just consider this with our time constraints. And winemistress...thanks, I did e-mail Patouche and got some info from Julie. There are a couple of things that would possibly work for us, I guess that I am just a little nervous about the time. I don't want to be waving "bye-bye" to the ship from the pier. I think I'm just gonna play it safe

I think Patouche does the Caves and the nearby Indians 9AM - 3PM with lunch at Willey T's - sailboat trip - give Julie a call.

I just recently signed up for this tour with Patouche. Julie was very helpful. Anyone been on this trip? Would love to hear about it.

I have sailed with Patouche a number of times. They have great crew members. You'll have a wonderful day with them. The Caves are very interesting and I consider the Indians as one of my top choices for snorkeling when in the BVI. One of my most interesting memories of the BVI is snorkeling the Indians at dusk, beautiful.

The Willie T can be a very laid back place or very wild depending on the crowd. A fun spot either way but when it gets really wild it's no place for youngsters.:eek: This doesn't usually happen at lunch so no worries.

• 4 weeks later...

Just returned from the Carnival Liberty. We chartered Patouche for the morning. It was the best tour yet. There was just the four of us and two excellent crew members...Jason and Shane. We sailed out to Norman Island, snorkeled in and around the caves, sailed over to Willie T's, and hit one more snorkel place, can't remember the name. Drinks and snacks were provided on board. Julie was very helpful with the reservation. They are changing their name and the new web page is in progress... http://20-20.ws/new/british-virgin-islands-tortola/caves-sail.htm ...Blue Sail BVI. Would highly recommend them.

• 1 month later...

I just requested info and different tours are avail depending on the day of the week. With the holidays I received info in a couple days. We will be in Tortola on 1/26 and the 1/2 day cruise is the baths snorkel cruise for $80. The treasure caves (at norman island) snorkel sail is the full day for $100. Also highlights of the BVI is listed for $125. My understanding is that a party of two can reserve and others will also be on our tour. Recommendations from anyone that has been on any of these please. Also wondering if I should book this or thru Celebrity.

We just booked with Patouche for 1/26. I wanted the Highlights of the BVI Tour but it wasn't available so we are doing the Norman Island/Peter Island Full day Tour. I told them I love to snorkle and this is the one they recommended.

We will be in Tortola on the same date 1/26. What ship are you on? We were also looking at the Highlights tour vs. treasure caves. I'm torn because I would like to see the Baths but also want good snorkeling. My dh's choice is the caves so we will probably sign up for that excursion.

This is Patouches's brochure description of their Norman Island trip:

TREASURE CAVES SNORKEL SAIL

TREASURE CAVES AT NORMAN ISLAND

“SHAMWARI”

ITINERARY: We'll sail across Drakes Channel to the “Treasure Caves at Norman Island" and enjoy easy snorkeling in the calm and

crystal clear waters that surround the island. Since the 1750’s, visitors to the island have discovered three separate treasure troves with

each yielding substantially different amounts of riches. These bounties undoubtedly inspired Robert Louis Stevenson to immortalize Norman

Island as his setting for the epic novel “Treasure Island”. Next we’ll sail over to nearby “Angel Fish Reef” where the turtle grass is full of

large Queen Conch and the sandy bottom between the coral heads hides Southern Sting Rays and Flounders. The coral here is pristine and

the perfect habitat for numerous reef fish and a great spot to take underwater photos of the colorful inhabitants like the Blue Parrot Fish,

the Green Sea Turtle and the Yellowhead Wrasse. After our second amazing snorkel, we’ll head into the Bight of Norman Island, for lunch at

the notorious “Willy T.” The William Thornton, or Willy T, is a floating pirate-ship, bar and restaurant. The food is great, the atmosphere is

fun and the lunch crowd is always worth watching. After a delicious lunch if time permits; we’ll cruise over and snorkel at nearby “Miner’s

Cove” where the reef is fairly shallow and home to large schools of Blue Tangs, Longspine Squirrel Fish and many colorful Rainbow Parrot

Fish. This reef also is the cruising ground for several Green Sea Turtles, Dolphins, Spotted Eagle Rays and the slow moving cluster of Golden

Starfish called Cushion Sea Stars. On our smooth sail home you'll enjoy lots of interesting stories about the history of the islands from our

friendly and knowledgeable crew. This trip is always fun and all snorkel equipment is included. Be sure to bring your own towels, hats,

sunglasses and plenty of sunscreen. We could carry more, but seating is limited to just (20) guest for your comfort and safety.

The posted schedule is 9AM - 4PM; howver, Julie assured me we would

return by 3PM, 3:30 latest.

I took their snorkel trip that includes a walk thru the rocks at The Baths. Loved everything except the rock walk. :p

• 3 weeks later...

NYBumpkin - We will be on the Carnival Freedom & I believe they will be offering the Virgin Island Sailaway. However, it is not yet showing up on our itinerary. Could you tell me how much it cost per person when you went? We are trying to figure out what to do also. I have an email into Julie with Panouche, too, & they do have a snorkel available that would fit into our schedule. I want to compare the two. Thanks for your help!

Archived