SS Olympic vs Oceanliners - is SS Olympic as good?

First in Class

In April 2007 we were on Connie and visited speciality restaurant Oceanliners twice. We loved it. In November were on Millie and are hoping the SS Olympic is as good.

How do they compare?

We went twice to Oceanliners on a 5-day cruise. We were amazed to find it rivaling great on-shore restaurants. Maitre d' Ishmael and waiter Alexander were superb, as was the food. Even the Steak Diane was excellent, and I'm generally skeptical of table-side preparation.

For example, we had been to Le Bec Fin in Philadelphia the month before and found Oceanliners to be more enjoyable - and certainly better than the speciality restaurants on Crystal, such as Prego.

Thanks in advance for your advice!

In April 2007 we were on Connie and visited speciality restaurant Oceanliners twice. We loved it. In November were on Millie and are hoping the SS Olympic is as good.

How do they compare?

The Olympic is our favorite. :)

Hi, personally I love them all:)

The one I have not been to is the USS United States....but that

is because I have yet to sail Infinity;)

I was on Constellation in Dec '04, Summit Oct '05 and Millennium

Dec '06. Went to each Specialty Restaurant with some of my

regular tablemates:D made it even a nicer experience!

I don't really have a favorite......each one was super:)

Any experience is possible in any restaurant (speaking as a line cook and a foodie). Two years ago in the Olympic two of us ordered the duck breast midrare. It was started in the kitchen and finished tableside (I do like the tableside touches). However, it was already midwell when it came out of the kitchen and we had to send it back. Their were only two other tables in the whole restaurant. I know I'm the very rare case, but I haven't been motivated to spend money on a specialty restaurant at sea since.

I have dined in both specialty restaurants and their cuisine and level of service is comparable.

However, the Olympic Dining Room on Millennium includes wall panels from the original Olympic ship which provides a very unique and special ambiance.

The service was very good. We brought along 3 bottles of wine (a champagne, a red, and a dessert), so the sommelier prepared a little mini tour of their cellar at our tableside. (As a side note, I've always enjoyed Celebrity's sommeliers). The wall panels and the homage to the original Olympic were a very nice touch. It is one most classicly beautiful dining rooms I've been in, and certainly the prettiest at sea I've been in. However, as a cook it's food first for me, and my experience wasn't what it should have been.

Hi First,

We have sailed on the Millennium, Constellation and the Summit, and dined in the specialty dining rooms on each ship. Although there were differences in the decor, each of the venues was elegant and and presented a very pleasing ambiance. In every case the staff were very competent, professional and seemed genuinely interested in making our visit a memorable experience. The quality of the food, preparation and the presentation was consistently excellent. I feel that quality control, across the Celebrity fleet is excellent, and that there are minimal variations in the quality of the experience you will find in the specialty dining rooms.

My wife and I have very much enjoyed the Celebrity main dining rooms, and the pleasant conversations we have had with our many tablemates. When we dine in the specialty restaurants we dine alone, and focus on the food and service. This is always a very pleasant change of pace from our interaction with our tablemates.

Petert

We have sailed on the Infinity and the Millennium, and we will be on the Summit next month. The food and the service in the two speciality restaurants were excellent. However, the decor in the SS United States (Infinity) was very bland. There was no warmth or atmosphere unlike the Olympic dining room where the wood panels exuded ambiance. Our travel agent has given us a dinner in the Normandie dining room which we are quite looking forward to. Celebrity's speciality restaurants are clearly a cut above HAL's Pinnacle Grills.

Archived