Would You Bail?

nealstuber

If you left the Spirit due to a Bomb threat would you expect...  

397 members have voted

1. 1. If you left the Spirit due to a Bomb threat would you expect...

• Your money back?
    • A full credit for a future cruise?
    • A small credit.
    • Nothing

I posted a few pages back -- we were on the ship and stayed because we were told by the authorities the threat was false, and the ship was to sail. We had a lovely time. The hundred plus folks who chose to leave CHOSE to leave - therefore, simple logic, it was their choice (hey, we are blessed to live in a society where we are given options!), so therefore no compensation.

If less people choose to cruise NCL because of this, more room for the rest of us!

If I remember correctly it was the Dawn that encountered a freak huge wave a couple of years ago and some people interviewed "swore they'd never cruise again".... well, yippee I thought, hope they keep their word so perhaps a bit more room onboard!

Geez. Would you still call them fools HAD something happened?

The police cleared the ship to sail BEFORE any of them got off. The EXPERTS in the field felt there was nothing wrong. Therefore, they are fools.

They are also cowards. They gave the idiot who called in the threat exactly what he wanted....scaring people into leaving the ship. This type of cowardice is exactly why these people continue doing what they are doing.

The risk to stay on the ship was far less than they had already experienced or were about to experience:

Most had to fly to New York - danger of a plane crash

They had to drive to the pier - danger of accident

Could have taken the subway - danger of mugging

After they got off the ship:

Danger of the psycho lying in wait for those who got off.

Danger of mugging

Danger of car accident

Danger of being stranded in a strange city with no hotel & no airline reservations.

Danger of flight home crashing.

Danger of trip from airport to home being in a car accident.

We live with danger everyday in our lives. More people are killed or injured in car crashes than in terrorist plots. When the authorities say something is safe....then why take other risks??

Gee. Aren't you cheery.

There's no reason to call them anything other than cautious. It was of their opinion to get off. Some people fear black cats, and others bomb threats. Cleared or not.

I'm not going looking, but I'm sure bombs have gone off after an all clear was given.

These "people" chose not to take a chance.

I do know that number of folks showed up to cruise and went home scared. What incentive is there for NCL to reduce that number?
NCL is never going to be able to reduce the number of people who went home scared. The scared people were scared all by themselves. No amount of money paid by NCL then or now is going to make them any less scared.

To me, the only ones who are responsible for the lost fare are the fools who got off the ship.

I was not on the ship, but if I was I would have disembarked (my choice), would I expect anything from NCL absolutely not. I would not consider myself a fool. I would look at it as erring on the side of caution. Your choice of words is very distasteful.

I have not been on these boards for awhile, but I see nothing has changed.

I don't consider those who got off the ships fools, although I wouldn't myself if it was cleared by the NYPD. I do understand that different people react differently, in the end it was their choice but then they have to live with the consequences of their action. You can always sue as immoral an act that is under these circumstances.....

I posted a few pages back -- we were on the ship and stayed because we were told by the authorities the threat was false, and the ship was to sail. We had a lovely time. The hundred plus folks who chose to leave CHOSE to leave - therefore, simple logic, it was their choice (hey, we are blessed to live in a society where we are given options!), so therefore no compensation.

If less people choose to cruise NCL because of this, more room for the rest of us!

If I remember correctly it was the Dawn that encountered a freak huge wave a couple of years ago and some people interviewed "swore they'd never cruise again".... well, yippee I thought, hope they keep their word so perhaps a bit more room onboard!

The down side is that if fewer people cruise, then the cruise line will need to make up the loss of revenue. How will they do that, you ask? By raising fares, of course.

beachchick

I dunno, John, I think it's pretty appropriate for the thread. I mean, who would actually tell someone that their baby was ugly, let alone try to 'convince' them? Someone who wants to hurt the parent, of course. I gave up arguing pages ago, and I recommend everyone else does, too. This thread was not, in my opinion, a request for opinions so much as it was a vehicle to promote as much negativity about NCL as possible.

I mean, who would actually tell someone that their baby was ugly, let alone try to 'convince' them? .....This thread was not, in my opinion, a request for opinions so much as it was a vehicle to promote as much negativity about NCL as possible.

I think, if you look at my quote in context, its pretty clear that I was giving up trying to convince y'all that NCL customer relations stinks because I found it to be like trying to convince someone they had an ugly baby, read as, I would not do that.

I really did not recognize the paternalistic relationship some of you seem to have with NCL and I confess I still do not understand it.

It is bizzare that you state that I was not looking for opinions when it is the opposing side that has attacked those who voiced the majority opinion that some sort of compensation is in order. The few folks who have dared to offer a counter opinion have been call: cowards, good riddance, dummies, crazies, and let's not forget: angry and now... baby haters.

I do not possess the social grace that most people in the majority posses. They looked at this thread, voted and looked away. Kinda like what I would do when I saw a baby with a big old boile on his face - that is NCL customer service. The parents could not have missed the oozing, baseball sized, hunk of flesh on the face of their child - they don't need me to remind them that they really should do something about it.

The parents could not have missed the oozing, baseball sized, hunk of flesh on the face of their child - they don't need me to remind them that they really should do something about it.

Bottom line is the parents of said baby probably think there baby is beautiful AND when reading a post by you there is no question what your message will be.

You don't like NCL. I do like NCL. I don't need to hear over and over and over your point of view.

Bottom line is the parents of said baby probably think there baby is beautiful AND when reading a post by you there is no question what your message will be.

You don't like NCL. I do like NCL. I don't need to hear over and over and over your point of view.

Sorry if I was less than clear. I didn't understand ya'll look at NCL as your baby - now I do so I will be more restrained.

For the record, I don't hate NCL, in fact I have given them credit as being a industry innovator on many fronts. It is just their customer service philosophy that I find most distasteful - like A BIG OLD BOILE on the face of a baby. Glad the parents think its cute, they're not doing the kid any favors....

I don't give a rat's rip about NCL one way or the other and I STILL don't need to hear it over and over. That's why I stopped reading this thread days ago. Not sure what made me look today but I see it's same old same old. Some people just love to hear themselves talk (or type as it were.)

Neal,

Maybe Carnival should be added to you list of cruiselines with bad customer service also. Here's how they handled a bomb scare.

August 25

Celebration

Carnival Cruise LinesThe Coast Guard evacuated the terminal at Jaxport Saturday afternoon at about 12:45 PM because of a bomb scare. A bomb-sniffing dog came across something suspicious and a bomb squad was brough to the scene to investigate. During that time, no one was being allowed to board and people already on the ship were not allowed off. Shortly after 6PM, the problem wasidentified (the dogs had singled out some bags later found to contain some type of heart medication. The ship had been scheduled to depart at 4PM, heading to Key West and Nassau, Bahamas for a five-day cruise. A statement from Carnival said the cruise was expected to leave at 10 p.m. and passengers were given a $15 ship credit for their trouble.Bomb scare

WOW $15.00 credit!

Neal,

Maybe Carnival should be added to you list of cruiselines with bad customer service also. Here's how they handled a bomb scare.

August 25

Celebration

Carnival Cruise LinesThe Coast Guard evacuated the terminal at Jaxport Saturday afternoon at about 12:45 PM because of a bomb scare. A bomb-sniffing dog came across something suspicious and a bomb squad was brough to the scene to investigate. During that time, no one was being allowed to board and people already on the ship were not allowed off. Shortly after 6PM, the problem wasidentified (the dogs had singled out some bags later found to contain some type of heart medication. The ship had been scheduled to depart at 4PM, heading to Key West and Nassau, Bahamas for a five-day cruise. A statement from Carnival said the cruise was expected to leave at 10 p.m. and passengers were given a $15 ship credit for their trouble.Bomb scare

WOW $15.00 credit!

I agree that the $15 dollars is underwhelming. But it is $15 more than NCL did for the passengers WHO STAYED.

I've looked at the news stories, searched the Carnival thread and the Celebration reviews....I found no report of passengers choosing not to take this cruise, so we can't really guess as to how CCL would have dealt with the Hypothetical.

Your post does raise an intersting question, as we've already read that "people will always be scared" and "it was not NCLs fault that these folks voluntarily ended their cruise."

From my reading of the Carnival scare, it looked like they did a really bad job with some pax, but they still all chose to cruise. I can come up with some possible answers.

1) Dispite everything they did wrong, CCL handled the threat it a way that all the customers felt safe taking the cruise.

2) Maybe CCL attracts more patriotic passengers.

(not my guess, so please don't take it out of context).

3) Maybe the situation was totally different ex: cruise vs length of time lost was more acceptable in the Celebration case, alot more folks travelled to get to the ship, the actual cause of the threat was found and dealt with.

I vote for 3). Maybe we should post this as a poll? Or would that be too disgusting?

I think I get with this is about, and why this thread just won't die -- Neal HAS to have the last word. So, fellow cruisers, do we allow Neal to have his last word and let this thread die its long overdue death?

Looks like you were 100% correct. Especially as it applies to someone who promised to "stand down" over a week ago. Still it is cheap amusement

I think I get with this is about, and why this thread just won't die -- Neal HAS to have the last word. So, fellow cruisers, do we allow Neal to have his last word and let this thread die its long overdue death?

Amen...

All in favor of them closing this thread...say AYE!

Neal, I applaud your insight and tenacity. There are many of us who agree with you but don't (can't) vocalize it for fear of being flamed by the Norwegian Cruiseline Liberation Front. It seems their version of reality and reason is different. You fought the good fight and made strong points, but nothing will turn their heads. Take a bow and step off the soapbox. You did well.

Neal, I applaud your insight and tenacity. There are many of us who agree with you but don't (can't) vocalize it for fear of being flamed by the Norwegian Cruiseline Liberation Front. It seems their version of reality and reason is different. You fought the good fight and made strong points, but nothing will turn their heads. Take a bow and step off the soapbox. You did well.

I tried to quit, I really did. Maybe I'll do better now that I can look foward to my cruise instead of more run-around from the NCL payment application dept. I can go back to reading threads about shore excursions and a good depature hotels from NOLA. Maybe I can get the roll call fired up..... I saw a thread about NCL roll calls today-just seems like folks don't enjoy the pre-NCL cruise experience as much.... pleanty of denial on that thread too.

Folks, before you flame me with something like "I understand why your roll call sucks - you're on it" take a look and you see nothing from me but positive comments and attempts to generate interest in the ship and its future passengers.

I appologize to the folks that were genuinely annoyed by my input to this thread (and my poor spelling I'm sure). I will try really hard to understand that I've made my point even if it wasn't taken.

Thanks R

Archived