Would You Bail?

nealstuber

If you left the Spirit due to a Bomb threat would you expect...  

397 members have voted

1. 1. If you left the Spirit due to a Bomb threat would you expect...

• Your money back?
    • A full credit for a future cruise?
    • A small credit.
    • Nothing

Oops, I posted in the linked thread... My answer was 'No'. I would have trusted the authorities to evacuate if it was necessary and otherwise made the best of my cruise. It was a one night cruise... I can't see how leaving port three hours late would have interfered with my planned experience - I'm not a gambler.

NYFlush, I actually feel very confident about knowing how I would react to this particular situation. For many, I would agree that it's not possible to know until you're 'right there', but for others, like this one, I know myself very well, and I have no problem saying with no doubt that I would have stayed put and enjoyed myself until the situation changed.

Neal, you're absolutely right. NCL doesn't need 40% of their customers. In fact, it's a well known statistic in business that 20% of customers generate 80% of profit... so they can spare more than 40% if they come from that bottom group of nonprofitables! You're so focused on NCL (or whomever) trying to please every customer to the absolute best of their potential ability... but it really isn't feasible, nor is it necessarily good business.

Thats great that you know how you would react. The way some would see it the situation did in fact change they did not leave the dock at 4pm as planned because of a threat on their lives IMO its kind of a big deal when you see hundreds of police you know its not a joke. That being said i'm a New Yorker not much shakes me would this? Again I dont know I wasnt there but glad they gave customers the choice to leave as for a refund if I felt my life was in danger and I got off I really wouldnt be looking for one :)

i would have stuck around....i too have more faith in the NYPD than in many other 'authorities'...if we were told to evacuate and the cruise was canceled then i'm not sure what i'd expect...but, as a sailing pax who stuck it out..if they threw me a bone, i'd be happy....heck, $25 OBC for another cruise, a free bottle of wine...whatever..

having been evacuated from an amtrak train 30 minutes out of DC for 3 hours, and seeing how long it took the proper authorities to get to Rockville, MD-i most definitely have more faith in the NYPD.

I do not understand how NCL kicking people off is really different then the way it went down for some in this instance.
Well, people weren't kicked off. That's the difference. :)

I can almost hear the Master of the Spirit on the ships intercomm, bomb sniffing dogs in the background...police divers with body armor off the stbd side....fire trucks on the dock at the port side.... CBS Helicopter overhead ...."You can get off the ship if you want, its your nickel, we're not telling you what to do." Almost seems like in the midst of a Bomb threat NCL is more interested in protecting one day's revenue.

I have no idea how you can make this kind of conjecture.
If your meal was 2 hours late getting to the table and you left before you were served, even if it was due to a bomb threat - would you expect to pay for the meal?
Well, of course not because I left.
Would you honestly expect to pay for a dinner you didn't get - after they jerked you around for 2 hours?:confused:
I'm not going to split hairs with you over this. You posted a poll and I said that if I had chosen to get off, then I wouldn't be due anything back but if NCL kicked me off, I'd expect a full refund. You've made a lot of assumptions about what actually happened on this sailing. I understand you've had an issue with them about something completely different but now you're taking every single topic and turning it into a thing.

I, too, would have stayed on the ship. NYPD would have gotten us off the ship if we were in danger as would NCL.

It was only a matter of time until a "bomb threat" was issued at the cruise line piers. The time has come.

I watched the towers hit that 9/11 AM....stuck in traffic (due to an accident) on the Tpk., extension on may way...thank God!

Nealstuber..I truly believe you would do better with other cruiselines.

Your "gripes" valid or not..certainly point to a better cruising experience NOT on NCL;)

We were, in fact, on the Spirit Sat. night and did not bail. In fact, the NY Post article that 1/2 the pax got off seems completely erroneous. We watched the goings on and also heard there were very very few who actually left.

Around 5:30 there was an announcement made by the CD that we were "under threat." After the investigation revealed it was a hoax, the Captain had 3 more updates and told us it was a false threat. He also said that those who wished to leave could now leave. We finally pulled away around 7:15+ and had a great evening.

Really enjoyed being onboard. At no time did we witness any hysteria or panic. I was up in Champagne Charlie's at the time of the CD's announcement and nobody got up to "leave." Le Bistro sure was full that night and the second show of the comedian was packed to the gills.

When we disembarked yesterday, we saw a LOT of police, all in their special garb, patrolling out in front of the terminal. It's good to know the NYPD did their job and kept us all safe along with the Coast Guard and the ship's officers.

Never even occurred to us that NCL should open a bar for an hour, etc. Everyone was just relieved it turned out to be a false hoax.

I too was on the Spirit with my wife and a group of friends. We heard only the one announcement by the CD around 5:30pm as we were in an elevator on our way to dinner at Cagney's. No announcements were heard while we were in Cagney's. While dining, we were able to see people getting off the ship. A fellow dinner ask the waiter what was going on and he had no clue. She left Cagney's to get info and was told they are letting people leave if they want to. Nothing else was said. When we left Cagney's around 6:30pm there were many people walking with their suitcases. One women told us she received a call from her father that the news was reporting a bomd threat on board. This is when we decided to leave. I have two children at home and were concerned about what they might have heard. (and they did see the news reports). Many people were getting off the ship. There was no panic nor anyone demanding refunds. The young ladies at the reception desk did an excellent job of providing the little information that the knew. Unfortunately there were no officers around to answer questions.

It's great that everyone can express an opinion when they were not in the same situations. As I posted elsewhere, our friends did stay on board and had a good time. That was their choice. They do not have children and said that if they did they would have been right behind us. I am happy that every thing was ok for everyone who made that choice. IT WASN'T AN ISSUE OF MONEY OR WHAT WILL NCL DO FOR ME. It was what was in the best interest of my family.

It's truly amazing to me that someone who hadn't even been on the ship could be so vocal and just know everything that happened.:rolleyes:

There was a point it seemed that NCL had nothing new to report to us - the NYPD and Coast Guard (and the dogs) were all there investigating. They told us it was being investigated and came back on to tell us the investigation revealed a false threat.

Not sure what else on earth NCL could possibly have done?:confused: If they had come on the PA every 5 to 10 minutes with no new update, it might have stirred everyone up. I think there were a total of 4 announcements between 5:30 and 7:15pm and they were all delivered in a professional calm manner. People who wished to depart could and there was plenty of time to do so.

It's truly amazing to me that someone who hadn't even been on the ship could be so vocal and just know everything that happened.:rolleyes:

There was a point it seemed that NCL had nothing new to report to us - the NYPD and Coast Guard (and the dogs) were all there investigating. They told us it was being investigated and came back on to tell us the investigation revealed a false threat.

Not sure what else on earth NCL could possibly have done?:confused: If they had come on the PA every 5 to 10 minutes with no new update' date=' it might have stirred everyone up. I think there were a total of 4 announcements between 5:30 and 7:15pm and they were all delivered in a professional calm manner. People who wished to depart could and there was plenty of time to do so.[/quote']

Other than the announcement at around 5:30, we didn't hear any others while dining in Cagney's. Music was playing over the sound system and that's it. NCL should check into that.

caravellov,

Definitely. Those announcements were so important. They came through the cabins, hallways, Champagne Charlie's in our experience. Some who went outside said on the other thread they couldn't hear them either. There were 3 announcements by the Captain after Julie's initial "alert."

caravellov' date='

Definitely. Those announcements were so important. They came through the cabins, hallways, Champagne Charlie's in our experience. Some who went outside said on the other thread they couldn't hear them either. There were 3 announcements by the Captain after Julie's initial "alert."[/quote']

Like I said, maybe if we heard these other announcements we might have stayed. I glad that you and everyone else who stayed had a fun and safe trip. I just don't understand how so many people can express an opinion on such a topic when they weren't in the same situation.

BTW, what happened to the tread that was started Saturday night regarding this cruise (or shouldn't I ask)?

My husband just reminded me that the last announcement saying we would be leaving at 7:15 came through Le Bistro's PA system. Music was interrupted for that one. For the prior announcements, we were elsewhere.

Strange that it didn't come through in Cagney's.

Anyway, we each had to make our own "right" decision. I guess living only 4 streets from the WTC, I've become so much more aware, but once the Captain assured us the threat had been investigated and was "false," we did decide to stay on.

Hope your next cruise is much better!:D

I understand you've had an issue with them about something completely different but now you're taking every single topic and turning it into a thing.

I will stop instigating these situations. I was attacked when I posted my legitimate gripe last week, and it really rubbed me the wrong way that a guy took his family off the same ship, under a bomb threat, and expected a refund and or credit (a view held by 40% of poll respondents) and took the time to post his experience and perspective. For this he was called a liar, a non-patriot, and was belittled in an 8 question post that ended in someting like "what part of no refund don't you understand?" This went unchecked by the moderator.

Surely you can understand how I would develop a particular (and peculiar) empathy with this situation.

So I will follow the advice of others on this board and take my intersts elsewhere. You and "the profitable 20%" have a great time convincing yourself that NCL customer service is what it should be.

I will stop instigating these situations. I was attacked when I posted my legitimate gripe last week, and it really rubbed me the wrong way that a guy took his family off the same ship, under a bomb threat, and expected a refund and or credit (a view held by 40% of poll respondents) and took the time to post his experience and perspective. For this he was called a liar, a non-patriot, and was belittled in an 8 question post that ended in someting like "what part of no refund don't you understand?" This went unchecked by the moderator.

Surely you can understand how I would develop a particular (and peculiar) empathy with this situation.

So I will follow the advice of others on this board and take my intersts elsewhere. You and "the profitable 20%" have a great time convincing yourself that NCL customer service is what it should be.

Call me crazy, but I thought the job of the moderator was to make sure posters abide by the rules of the boards, not to be a schoolyard playground monitor and make sure everyone plays nice-nice. I'm not trying to be a butthead about this, but it seems like people are too quick to say things in the heat of the moment, and others are too quick to hit the triangle and expect the playground monitor to step in and break up the fight. (Now I'll probably get triangled, too... :( )

BTW, what happened to the tread that was started Saturday night regarding this cruise (or shouldn't I ask)?
It turned into a 9/11 debate and the last 7 posts had nothing to do with NCL or cruising. It was reported and removed because it got very heated very fast.
Because it's not a board violation to disagree with someone. And you didn't report feeling attacked or see anyone else attacked. If you think someone did that, point it out and it can be looked at. When you report a post, it's sent to every single host and administrator on the boards. That's 20 or 30 people that can see what you've reported. With all those eyes looking, we can figure out if what's being said is OK or not.

I don't think that anyone disagrees with you that NCL customer service could be better. But for NCL cruisers here we enjoy the product on the ship and either haven't had a bad customer service incident or the ship product outweighs it.
Call me crazy, but I thought the job of the moderator was to make sure posters abide by the rules of the boards, not to be a schoolyard playground monitor and make sure everyone plays nice-nice. I'm not trying to be a butthead about this, but it seems like people are too quick to say things in the heat of the moment, and others are too quick to hit the triangle and expect the playground monitor to step in and break up the fight. (Now I'll probably get triangled, too... :( )
You're right. We're supposed to make sure the board guidelines are followed but as you probably know, this message board and others are about personal feelings and relationships just as much as it's about cruising. When you take personal feelings into it, it's a tough job to try and figure out what's a simple statement and what's a personal dig. If we could add inflection to the typed word, there would be a lot less moderation.

I believe I would have left the ship. $ 200.00 is not worth my life or anyone's in my family. I would not have expected anything back, simply because, a bomb threat is terrorism, homegrown or not. If you insure a trip, it specifically excludes terrorism. So, thats my story and I'm sticking to it.

Wow - too bad this turned into a customer service/education/etc type rant.

Meanwhile- not sure how anyone could announce it was a hoax, unless they had the caller. All the police in the world can only report "We did not find a bomb". Does not mean there was not one, just that they could not find it.

Safety and Money: I have to chuckle and shake my head over those that say they did not care about the $350 and wanted to get home to their family. Okay, maybe I am a bit disturbed, but don't we think all these "bomb threats" are getting a bit old? As someone pointed out during a discussion about evacuating airliner terminals - we are setting up a bigger target for would be terrorists. Now all those people are sitting outside the building CONFINED to one small area. Much better target. Could you imagine 2000 people gathered together on the pier?

Back to the people getting off and going home. How do they KNOW that was a safer thing to do?

We have to stop living in needless fear and move on. I hope they catch the idiot that made the call and string him up by....

Actually, janchris, I DO know that I would not leave until told by the cruise staff to do so.

Well, everyone is entitled to their opinion....my DH said this morning that he would NOT have left the ship....but I still do not know if I would or would not. I am also a New Yorker and remember quite well 9/11/2001 when people working in the World Trade Center building #2 were told to go back up to work that everything was under control. A short time later building 2 went down and there were so many needless deaths. Therefore, I would have to make the choice that I personally felt comfortable with. I would not seek a refund but it is just a matter of my personal safety.

Janet:eek:

Well, everyone is entitled to their opinion....my DH said this morning that he would NOT have left the ship....but I still do not know if I would or would not. I am also a New Yorker and remember quite well 9/11/2001 when people working in the World Trade Center building #2 were told to go back up to work that everything was under control. A short time later building 2 went down and there were so many needless deaths. Therefore, I would have to make the choice that I personally felt comfortable with. I would not seek a refund but it is just a matter of my personal safety.

Janet:eek:

I guess none of us can be sure what we would have done, I probably would have stayed on the ship, regardless, if I choose to exit without being asked to I would never expect any kind of refund or credti.

Nita

At least off the ship maybe off the pier. I probably have waited a couple of hours to see if it was resolved but not till 7pm (I get to the pier at 11:30am) IF I didnt know it was a bomb threat I would stay on for sure, why not?

A refund or credit would be nice, but it would really be my fault for not wanting to stand around for 7 hours! waiting to get back onboard. My question is, why dont they evacuate when there is a bomb threat? What if it was real?:confused:

they don't want 2,000 passengers and how many crew members standing around making it hard for the police/FBI and other to do their jobs. since everyone ON the ship went through a x-ray machine..they figure it's safer on the ship. if they evacuated, i don't know the NY docks..but in seattle...the walkway is very narrow and steep...one person in a hurry and many could have been hurt or killed.

even in the department store i worked at, we had practice for this stuff. we couldn't make annoucements until it was approved by the police. 1st..call the police, 2nd..call the manager of the day, 3rd..wait for orders on how to proceed. the police said they didn't want people running out into the parking lot and getting hit by cars...or blocking the police cars from getting close to the building.

... My question is, why dont they evacuate when there is a bomb threat? What if it was real?:confused:

Based on history, there is a very, very slim chance there is a bomb. Bomb threats get called in way more than most people know. (they just do not get the news coverage) The resulting evacuation may cause more damage than if people just stayed put. A bomb is only going to damage a relatively small area (bad if it is your area of course). People think a bomb on something like a ship is going to cause way more damage than it really can. But that is another story.

Trying to get 2000+ people off a ship in a hurry will cause problems. then, if someone is out to kill lots of people, having that many standing on the pier is a very good target.

The police have to attempt to make rational decisions. How credible is the threat? If someone wanted to kill people, why would they call it in? No easy answers, just speculation.

Archived