Cruising on the Zuiderdam

Williebill

We had a fantastic time. We had veranda cabins on the Upper Promenade deck and thought they were just fine. Our room steward took great care of us. Our dining steward was awesome. We thought the food was good to excellent- some dishes we liked better than others, but we had nothing that we would have called bad. I can't think of anything that the staff could have done to make our cruise better. We did notice the uneven floors, but the "dips" are not that bad and you get used to them. We found the ship to be very clean and easy to navigate.

Enjoy your cruise. I wish I was back on board.

Debbie

I am new on this forum, so I hope I do this right. My husband and I (ages 44 and 47) sailed on the Zuiderdam in April 2005 and had a dream cruise. We had an aft cabin which was incredible. The crew was exceptional and we thought the food was great. The fresh flowers around the ship really sets HAL apart from the other cruiselines. There aren't a ton of shipboard activities but that was ok with us. We did a lot of relaxing on our verandah. The afternoon tea was a favorite for us. And to top it all off, we were invited for dinner at the captain's table on formal night. In 2006, we cruised on the Carribbean Princess thinking that it would be a similar experience. Any cruise is a good vacation, but there was no comparison. There were SO MANY PEOPLE on the Princess ship. You just felt like you couldn't get away. The food wasn't nearly as good and the crew not nearly so friendly and accomodating, but I think the service can not be compared just because they have so many more guests to serve. Last year we booked on the Westerdam and had another fantastic cruise, so much that we are going on the Westerdam again this coming March. I have cruised with Disney, Carnival, HAL, and Princess and think HAL suits me best. If you like a friendly, pretty quiet, understated elegant atmosphere, you will have a great time.

Wonderful the first time - great ship, SS cabin was a dream, not as crowded as other lines, good food, good entertainment, crow's nest is a great spot, and service was excellent.

After Nov 17th, I can report back how the ship was the second time! :)

My wife and I did our 1st cruise in September last year, Zuiderdam to Alaska in a SY suite, upper veranda deck. The ship was awesome, the crew great, and the food was indeed fine. We now have our 2nd cruise booked on the Zuiderdam to the Caribbean in 5 weeks time and we are getting just a bit anxious because I know we'll have a great time.

We did a 21 night Panama cruise on the Zuiderdam Sept/06...loved the ship & the crew (except for the cruise director who we hear is no longer with Hal). We are going on the "Big Zee" again next year on a Med cruise. Prefer the Zuiderdam to the Westerdam....the always friendly staff just seemed friendlier and happier. Perhaps that isn't fair as we were on the Westerdam a month after it launched in 2004. In any event, have a great cruise!!

Like equistar, I also did a Zuiderdam cruise and then the next year went on the Crown Princess. I feel exactly the same as equistar -- there were way too many people and I never felt like I could get away from the people. The zuiderdam was truly wonderful. Great room steward, superb dining room stewards, all-around wonderful staff. All the staff (except the bar staff) were from Indonesia and went to cruise ship school there. They were superbly trained and so very friendly with my then 28 month old daughter. I'm not a foody, so the food was good to me, but I'm happy just about anywhere. HAL seemed more elegant than Princess did. Since our girls are now 3 nad 5, we're doing a Disney cruise next. If I were to do a cruise without kids, however, I know I'd go back to HAL.

I am new on this forum, so I hope I do this right. My husband and I (ages 44 and 47) sailed on the Zuiderdam in April 2005 and had a dream cruise. We had an aft cabin which was incredible. The crew was exceptional and we thought the food was great. The fresh flowers around the ship really sets HAL apart from the other cruiselines. There aren't a ton of shipboard activities but that was ok with us. We did a lot of relaxing on our verandah. The afternoon tea was a favorite for us. And to top it all off, we were invited for dinner at the captain's table on formal night. In 2006, we cruised on the Carribbean Princess thinking that it would be a similar experience. Any cruise is a good vacation, but there was no comparison. There were SO MANY PEOPLE on the Princess ship. You just felt like you couldn't get away. The food wasn't nearly as good and the crew not nearly so friendly and accomodating, but I think the service can not be compared just because they have so many more guests to serve. Last year we booked on the Westerdam and had another fantastic cruise, so much that we are going on the Westerdam again this coming March. I have cruised with Disney, Carnival, HAL, and Princess and think HAL suits me best. If you like a friendly, pretty quiet, understated elegant atmosphere, you will have a great time.

You did it just right, thank you! By the way, I agree with you about the Westerdam!

Bill

Wonderful the first time - great ship, SS cabin was a dream, not as crowded as other lines, good food, good entertainment, crow's nest is a great spot, and service was excellent.

After Nov 17th, I can report back how the ship was the second time! :)

I hope you have a wonderful second trip!

Bill

My wife and I did our 1st cruise in September last year, Zuiderdam to Alaska in a SY suite, upper veranda deck. The ship was awesome, the crew great, and the food was indeed fine. We now have our 2nd cruise booked on the Zuiderdam to the Caribbean in 5 weeks time and we are getting just a bit anxious because I know we'll have a great time.

There is no doubt in my mind that you will.

Bill

We did a 21 night Panama cruise on the Zuiderdam Sept/06...loved the ship & the crew (except for the cruise director who we hear is no longer with Hal). We are going on the "Big Zee" again next year on a Med cruise. Prefer the Zuiderdam to the Westerdam....the always friendly staff just seemed friendlier and happier. Perhaps that isn't fair as we were on the Westerdam a month after it launched in 2004. In any event, have a great cruise!!

My DW and I have sailed aboard the Westerdam also; why did you like the Zuiderdam more? I'm just curious. If I have a better time on the Zuiderdam than the Wasterdam, the ship's staff will have a tough time getting me off the ship!

Bill

Archived