Why tip with drink coupons?

NewCruzer1

I am not sure that the person bringing my beverage gets any part of the gratuity. We always give side money - it improves service. What's a buck or two after enjoying several hours in a lounge with attentive service. If we like the music, we have tipped for that as well.

[quote name='steveaaaa']If you cannot afford to tip the "Suggested amount" would less be OK?
Steve[/QUOTE]
No, if you cannot afford to tip, why in the world would you go on a cruise? The tipping guidelines are plainly stated in the brochure, website, paperwork, etc. I said tipping ABOVE the suggested amount. The S&S portion IMO should be considered part of the cost to cruise...

[quote name='GoinCruisin']No, if you cannot afford to tip, why in the world would you go on a cruise? The tipping guidelines are plainly stated in the brochure, website, paperwork, etc. I said tipping ABOVE the suggested amount. The S&S portion IMO should be considered part of the cost to cruise...[/QUOTE]

That is the part that I refere to as stupid. This little dance that is being done over the "Suggested amount". The fact is the TIPS are the wages.
You are 100% correct that it is "part of the cost to cruise".
If the cruise lines would just add into the fare,which I think will eventually happen.
Steve

Nice try :D Spent $800 for 2 people in 4 days on alcohol... so obviously I can afford it.... and as anyone that reads my posts knows, we took some onboard, 80% of it was brought home. I did NOT BRING IT because I could not afford it, I brought it because it was the ONLY option we had to have cocktails in our cabin without making the trek to the bar and then all the way back to the cabin...

:rolleyes:

Well, now this post just looks weird :D LOL

Steve, on that I do agree with you... the cruiselines could make this easier on everyone.

LOL, maybe I should have specified :D We brought Bailey's because we like it with our coffee in the morning and vodka for our nightcap... Can't get our Bailey's from RS for our coffee (too early) and can't get RS for our nightcap as we are not back in the room until after 3... so it's not readily available for the times we drink it... We entertained in our cabin after the disco closed, so it was nice to be able to have a nightcap (this was the only night we actually touched the vodka, LOL)... now the bailey's on the other hand, :eek:

[quote name='GoinCruisin']No, if you cannot afford to tip, why in the world would you go on a cruise? The tipping guidelines are plainly stated in the brochure, website, paperwork, etc. I said tipping ABOVE the suggested amount. The S&S portion IMO should be considered part of the cost to cruise...[/QUOTE]
Oh gee, let me play devil's advocate.....the information states "SUGGESTED".....not mandatory:D

Seems like all this gotta outta hand on here ....LOL .... I think all Goin Cruisin was trying to say is that she tipped extra for good service .....no crime here .... geez ..... she is not sayin' all y'all hafta or are required to tip extra.... She was just simply sayin' that is how their group recieved good service ...... and I for one am all about some good waiter service ...~tips my hat to Goin' Cruisin' .....LOL ..... Let's face it the people that work on these cruise ships prolly dont make a heck of a lot of money .....so 5 or 10 bucks as a tip to them is prolly like a ton of money ..... and if I can hand em a 5 and that keeps my drink glass full ... hey that is a Win-Win situation ....lmao .... Happy Cruisin' ....

Beth

BethS, thank you! I could care less if anyone else tips above and beyond... I think everyone should pay the "suggested" amount, in my mind, for what you get it is more than fair. As far as paying extra, I could care less. I stated what I do but never impressed that upon others... I think as others have done, I have stated why I tip the way I do (which I shouldn't have to do in the first place) and that should be the end of it... I am not out throwing money around, I try to spend my money very wisely (although that doesn't always happen :D ), but I personally see tipping as a part of life. I travel quite frequently and when I look at my expenses, I am amazed at the tips, BUT I also try to keep in mind what my trip WOULD have been like without these people I tipped... it's all worth it to me. Doesn't mean it would be the same for someone else, but quite frankly, that is not my business... it's only my opinion. I would never say that the way I do things is the "best answer" to do things... one size does not fit all, but it doesn't make any of us weird :p

I'm all for doing whatever is necessary to keep my drinks flowing... and we managed to get some comped to us as well.. which was even better!!!! LOL!!!

Have fun on your cruise!! I know you will (we will try to leave the ship in decent shape :eek: )

Please try to leave the ship descent ....lmao ... This will be my first cruise so .... I dont wanna be walkin' all up on a partied out ship ....LOL .... Psssst ... whatever liquor you may not finish off just drop it off in my cabin ....LOL ..... I am in total agreement w/ you on the tippin' though .... my friends and I are very good tippers .... I was taught you get what you pay for you know .... and I am sure the waiters and the room steward both are more likely to take better care of people who are tippin' ..... that is just how it works ......

I just felt bad for ya that everyone seemed to be slammin' ya .....for simply statin' your experience ...... Too much arguin' ......LOL ... and this should be a happy thread .... about drinkin' ... ~passes you a drink .....LMAO.....

I for one appreciated the tippin' tips .....LOL .... Happy Cruisin'

Beth

Thanks again Beth! You will LOVE the Sensation!!! We had a great time and cannot wait to do it again, out of NOLA!!!! We found the service to be top notch and everyone went above and beyond to make our cruise extra special. My parents also cruised the Sensation for their first cruise and loved it... they are joining us on the upcoming cruise, so it will be quite a treat!!!!! We actually had alot of fun putting together a "goody" bag for our steward... and giving him some money upfront may or may not have made a difference, but he went WAY out of his way to make our trip wonderful, and when Chris was deathly ill on the last day, I could not have asked for better care from our steward... some people just "provide or serve", some seem to find delight in it, there is a visible difference and that is what I will tip extra for...

Enjoy!!! I'll let you know how we left her when we return in October!!!!

Sounds good ..... I cant wait ... We are all sooooo excited several of us are first time cruisers so .... It will be a new experience for most of our group ....I appreciate any feed back and/or suggestions you can give ....... I hope you guys have a great trip (w/ no sickness this time .....LOL) ...... Happy Cruisin'

Beth

I don't think anyone will say tipping is expected with drink coupons since they plainly state gratuities included. However, I admit I always feel more generous on a cruise (especially with a drink or two onboard). If the server makes me wait a long time for my drink, no tip. If he returns quickly with a smile, I'll give him/her $1. Frankly, I enjoy tipping. It makes me feel good to reward hardworking people with a little extra $.

dudes......i still find it funny as he!! how some of yall give so much time, effort and money into the tipping thang.....like those people making up gift packages for their room steward.....it must be nice to have so much free time on your hands to come up with such sappy ideas.....its a dog eat dog world out there.....i dont have the time OR the heart to be feeding other dogs my food.....go find your own bone, is my motto:).......tipping 25% is about as smart as goin to buy a car and paying an extra 25% to the dealer just because he was nice to ya.....ill find better ways to spend my hard earned money.....giving it away freely to a waiter just for doin his JOB isnt makin my list of things i need to do.....I figure that I work harder for my money than most anyone i see working as a server...so if anyones earned that tip money its ME:)...we all should be so lucky as to be paid a 25% tip just for popping open a beer can......ill teach my pet monkey to do that for free

Weird? I also tip the guy that mows my grass, so move this way!!!! :D A tip is a good thing!!!!!! Weird is getting your panties in a wad because people tip 20-25%. Anyone that has ever been in the service business knows that this is NOT uncommon... it's the people that throw some change on the table after you running your tail off to please them that they consider "weird":cool:

lol Cruisin....that truly IS extreme to be tipping ur lawn guy!....rarely happens here i can tell ya lol........I do stick to the average and tip between 17 and 20 % generally......its just hard for me to grasp how a server works hard enough to earn it sometimes......if your bill is 80 bucks for a meal and your server gets a $16 tip it just seems like a lota dough for very little work done....the only time i usually tip over 20% is when i go to a club where the female servers are wearing an outfit deserving of extra $ :)....Mangos in South Beach comes to mind:)....they are dancing on the bar with near nothing on for their tips...now THATS what i call earning your tips :)............but most servers are pleasant to ya ONLY to try and swindle a better tip out of ya....whateva happened to being nice just BECAUSE?:)

LOL Robby, I know... those girls do put in the extra effort :p I was a server, back in the day and I can tell you, it is NOT easy work by any means... just as you know that your work is not easy. Making $2.50 an hour makes it even tougher... someone that is good will make your experience a great one, and I tip what I feel is appropriate... I have just always done that. NOW, if they give me poor service I will leave less of a tip and I will bring it to the attn of mgmt so that it does not continue on to the next customer...

I have found for the most part, most servers earn their tips... there are a rare few that don't... and they probably don't make much money :D

I don't think it would be easier if the ship made the tips part of the cruise because it takes away any need for the crew to go above and beyond for you.

There would be no way to minimize tips for a server/steward that did a rotten job. they would know that they get the minimum tip at the least.

I don't think they should add "tips" and call them "tips", they should add the $10/pp/pd to the cruise fare and pay the people a decent wage, more than $1.50 per day. Then, you could tip a little here and there. Right now, our tips are their income, which is not fair to them and not fair to us... if Carnival would just increase the fare a bit, then the employees are paid fairly and we end this ever debated subject :D

Dont think the tip discussion would end under those circumstances.

People would still tip to reward good service...

There is a reason people tip employees in the SERVICE industry. These people are SERVING you. MOST people are comfortable showing appreciation in the form of gifts or money to someone who is going out of their way to cater to your needs. Yes, its their job. But so what?

From what I have gathered your past jobs have a lot to play in how well you tip as well. My friends that were waiters/waitresses/bartenders simply go monkey nuts if you dont tip extremely well. But me and a couple of my other friends who never worked in the field really just tip on gut feeling and have even been so poorly serviced as to not tip at all....which is a sin according to the service industry folks, even for $hitty service a 10% tip or more is required :D

And I still dont feed my dog those chicken bones!

Archived