Why tip with drink coupons?

NewCruzer1

A few thoughts on tips in general and tips with drink coupons.

I'd rate as a fairly good tipper, I hope, and I treat servers with a smile and respect. I don't invite them to be lifelong friends but I try to be courteous.
Do I care that much about servers? No, but I act the way I do because I enjoy prompt, attentive service.

If using coupons I would tip xtra, since I do when using the S&S. I'd think my drinks get spit in a lot less than those of the folks who routinely stiff the help.
[ugh, did I say that?]

All these questions about tips lately and always. Don't these people ever go out to dinner, or drinks, or to a show, or get a haircut etc.?

The personal service industry does not work on saleries. It has always worked on tips.

CCL's S&S tips are NOT manditory.

Add the tips to the price of cruising to solve the problem? Don't kid yourself, on mass market lines that would make the problem worse. There are upscale lines that include gratuities [and much more] SUPRISE, there is extra tipping going on there. [ALL THE TIME]

What is so hard to understand. If you get service, you tip. period If you get or you WANT special service, you tip more.

As a youngster in the business world [many centuries ago] I saw what tipping can do. We were preping a new company location in faraway town. Bosses, salespeople, managers, painting, nailing, hauling. We had been at it for 2 days when the big boss [as sweaty and dirty as the rest of us] said, "The XYZ restaurant is only a few blocks away, lets go to lunch." As we walk in the rest., the Maitre'D is seating a group at a large table. His asst. at the door takes one look at us and says we can't come in looking the way we do. The Maitre'D finishes seating his group and approaches looking askance at our motley crew.
Then he spies and recoginizes our honcho. "Oh, Mr. Y, so good to see you." he kowtows. Then he goes and rousts the freshly sat group out of their seats and seats us at that table. Ignoring their protests. Mr. Y shakes the M'D's hand and there was money in the xchange [no idea how much, but I'm sure it wasn't a fiver]

Years later as a honcho myself, I would go to offsite corp. meetings with at least $2000 in cash just for tips to grease the skids and make sure the meeting flowed as planned. It was always amazing how an impossible thing would become possible and quickly with a handshake that crinkled.

Tipping is a fact of life---Deal with it.

Dan

seven x 2

Unless I get Nasty or rude service, I still tip when the service isnt great. Most places I go give pretty good if not excellent service. I dont usually go to places where i would get lousy service. Sometimes a waiter/waitress gets buried and its not always their fault.

I also am careful to determine if a restaurant problem is unrelated to the waiter. Sometimes the kitchen messes up, and I dont hold the server responsible. Why should they be penalized because a cook made a mistake?

When I have gotten nasty or rude service in the past, I make sure a manager is aware. There is no excuse for nasty or rude service and simply lowering my tip wont make much difference for the next guest. I think a manager should know when their employee is rude to a guest.

Dan, I agree with you.......

The one think I DO object to is a Maitre D' who "sells" a table... Bypassing a waitlist or reservation list because someone slips them money..... I dont think that's fair to a regular guest who is waiting for a table ahead of them...

On the flip side, a "thank you" tip, after being seated seems perfectly ok to me.

From what I have gathered your past jobs have a lot to play in how well you tip as well. My friends that were waiters/waitresses/bartenders simply go monkey nuts if you dont tip extremely well. But me and a couple of my other friends who never worked in the field really just tip on gut feeling and have even been so poorly serviced as to not tip at all....which is a sin according to the service industry folks, even for $hitty service a 10% tip or more is required

I worked my way through school and also when my kids were little by waitressing. I tip between 15 and 20%. I have seldom had service that warrants anything above 20% and you can believe that I will not tip you a dime if you give me $hitty service. I have done this a few times. I am not sitting there with a checklist to deduct tips, but I am watching and know when you're giving me poor service. I will not be guilted into tipping if the service sucked. I also refuse to tip before a service is rendered, ex...tipping the cabin steward at the beginning of the cruise.

LilyLady,

Glad to hear some sound reasoning when it comes to tipping. That being said, is the 15% added to a drink a fair tip?

In your opinion, is it necessary to tip in addition the gratuity already included in the drink coupon?

The 15% drink enhancement is pooled between the employees from what I understand. And Carnival policy determines how this will be divied up.

Should folks tip extra so that they can send the waiter's/waitress's kids to college, or build them a new pool? :D

Some tip extra because THEY WANT TO :rolleyes: For NO other reason, other than that is their given right living in America! FTLOG, WHAT is the big deal here? DON'T pay extra... but if others want to, what is the problem with that? Is this keeping people awake at night?? I have never seen people get so upset because they want to tip a little extra!!!

LilyLady,

Glad to hear some sound reasoning when it comes to tipping. That being said, is the 15% added to a drink a fair tip?

In your opinion, is it necessary to tip in addition the gratuity already included in the drink coupon?

The 15% drink enhancement is pooled between the employees from what I understand. And Carnival policy determines how this will be divied up.

Should folks tip extra so that they can send the waiter's/waitress's kids to college, or build them a new pool? :D

As far as I'm concerned the 15% that is added to the bill is all you're getting from me. That is a fair tip. What others do is their business.

What's a jamacan swimming pool?

A Potential "Twilight Zone" episode comes to mind.....

Imaigne if you will:

The lousy tippers that are so outspoken on these boards wake up one morning to find the only job in the world is a $3.30 per hour waiter position.

They go to work and get yelled at by:

A. Their manager because their uniform is stained after a bartender spilled a strawberry daquiri down their sleeve.

B. The chef because he ran out of prime rib and forgot to tell the waiter, and the waiter ordered 2 for guests.

C. The dishwasher, because the waiter forgot to put one dirty fork in the silverware bin

D. The customer, because the waiter took too long bringing the prime rib.

E. The host, because the customer waiting for the prime rib is still at his table and there are people waiting to be seated.

At the end of his shift, after all his customers leave with an attitude "F_CK it - the waiter shouldnt get a decent tip", the waiter sees his tips are only $30.00 for the night.

AFter giving a $5.00 cut to the bartender, and a $5.00 cut to the food runner, the waiter leaves with $20.00 cash. Luckly, he knows he will get $26.40 ($3.30 x 8 hours) on his check next week... But, after deducting taxes and deducting the taxes for his declared tips, he will end up with about $10.16 on his check net...

Frankly, Its a nightmare episode....

For me, I'm happy to leave 20% for good service. Its justified

Don't forget that they also will have to clean up behind these people too... funny, it has been 18 years since I was a waitress and I can still remember that it was the lousy tippers that always left the worst messes...

Nice story. And I mean it. Clever!

Afterwords, the Reality show begins:

Only 2%-3% stiff via S&S. 97% use this vehicle for their tips. All tips are pooled, so this further reduces the likelihood of have particular bad luck streak and getting greatly stiffed. All drink personel are guarenteed 15% to split (I would think these jobs would be a very lucrative as a lot of drinks are served during the week).

Anything extra goes towards building the pools!

I like the prequel better where the mom dropped out of high school to fall in love with her biker boyfriend and he left her...pregnant and no education she is forced to accept a job as room steward where she falls in love with a business tycoon and the accepts her for what she is. Then they build 2 pools in Jamaica named after each of her ass cheeks!:eek:

At the end of his shift, after all his customers leave with an attitude "F_CK it - the waiter shouldnt get a decent tip", the waiter sees his tips are only $30.00 for the night.

AFter giving a $5.00 cut to the bartender, and a $5.00 cut to the food runner, the waiter leaves with $20.00 cash. Luckly, he knows he will get $26.40 ($3.30 x 8 hours) on his check next week... But, after deducting taxes and deducting the taxes for his declared tips, he will end up with about $10.16 on his check net...

Why would he declare the $20 cash (in the real world) and how did you get the $10.16?

The Federal taxes for a single w/no dependants are Zero, SS is $1.64 and Medicare is .38 so the net check is $24.38 + $20 cash is $44.38

He is just making out at minimum wage and it was/is a bad day.

Steve

In the REAL world, The IRS audits restaurants and makes sure that a server declares all of his charge tips and, at the very least, 9% of gross sales... Restaurants have to report tips on an annual Form 8027 showing gross receipts, charge tips, and declared tips. If they dont report a certain threshhold, the restaurant and employees are subject to audit.

This guy is honest and he declares all his cash tips... (it is a twilight zone episode - its supposed to be scary)

Gross Payroll $26.40

Declared Cash Tips $20.00

Taxable Wages $46.40

Taxes at 35% -$16.24 (he has interest income that puts him in a higher tax bracket)

Less Cash Tips -$20.00 (He already took this home)

Take Home Net Pay $10.16

(This is before deductions for dental and medical insurance (if he is lucky enough to have benefits at all in this industry.)

Ventureman...... I agree with you......

Pooling of tips is the weakest link in the whole argument of tipping extra......

If, in fact, the bar staff pools all tips, the real benefit of tipping extra, since it isn't really going directly to the one giving you good service, and theoretically is helping someone who gives bad service, is a BRIBE for good future service....

Its a way of indirectly saying to the bartender:

"Here's an extra few bucks for the tip pool..... Don't forget about me when there are 30 people waiting for a drink and you catch my eye.... Serve me first.

Or - to the Room Steward when you hand him a $10 bill when you first arrive:

An indirect, non verbal way to say: Don't forget to bring me extra towels and ice when I need it, before you take care of the couple in the next cabin...

In the REAL world, The IRS audits restaurants and makes sure that a server declares all of his charge tips and, at the very least, 9% of gross sales... Restaurants have to report tips on an annual Form 8027 showing gross receipts, charge tips, and declared tips. If they dont report a certain threshhold, the restaurant and employees are subject to audit.

This guy is honest and he declares all his cash tips... (it is a twilight zone episode - its supposed to be scary)

Gross Payroll $26.40

Declared Cash Tips $20.00

Taxable Wages $46.40

Taxes at 35% -$16.24 (he has interest income that puts him in a higher tax bracket)

Less Cash Tips -$20.00 (He already took this home)

Take Home Net Pay $10.16

(This is before deductions for dental and medical insurance (if he is lucky enough to have benefits at all in this industry.)

Lets not forget his contribution to the united way, his 401K contribution.His few dollars for a fellow employees birthday cake and a few more dollars for a gift to another former employee who is just out on maternity leave.

Ventureman...... I agree with you......

Pooling of tips is the weakest link in the whole argument of tipping extra......

If, in fact, the bar staff pools all tips, the real benefit of tipping extra, since it isn't really going directly to the one giving you good service, and theoretically is helping someone who gives bad service, is a BRIBE for good future service....

Its a way of indirectly saying to the bartender:

"Here's an extra few bucks for the tip pool..... Don't forget about me when there are 30 people waiting for a drink and you catch my eye.... Serve me first.

Or - to the Room Steward when you hand him a $10 bill when you first arrive:

An indirect, non verbal way to say: Don't forget to bring me extra towels and ice when I need it, before you take care of the couple in the next cabin...

Which brings me back to a question I had in another thread based on tipping. I never received an answer to the question(or rumor, if you will).

I read on these boards about the tip pooling policy on ships. This is what I read, or at least how I understood it....anyone know if this is how it works....

Couple A and Couple B have the same cabin steward. Couple A has the suggested $10 pd pp on their S&S, which I am assuming the steward would be able to see this. Couple B has removed the suggested tips from their S&S and prefers to tip in cash according to the service recieved. The tips on Couple A's S&S are pooled. Since they have paid these, anything extra paid in cash during the cruise goes directly into the stewards pocket. Couple B tips in cash at the end of the trip and 100% of these tips are pooled.

Can anyone verify if there is any truth to this rumor?

This acually makes sence to me. The employees rely on Carnival to "push" the tips and suggest amounts to ensure a "fair wage". If Couple A has paid their fair share to the "pool of fair wages", cash tips are an extra for good service deemed by said customer.

TXflood, yes, that is how it works... which has been verified. As for the pool waiters and bartenders, I thought on the "back to the floor" show they said that the 15% auto tip was pooled but the extra cash was the waiters to keep? Which is the same way it works for the other service on the ship....

Thank you for the quick reply on this.

So, if this is the case, why is there such a debate and whining about tipping. Many have said they wish it was just built into the price.....it can be if you choose. Pre Pay your tips (as I have) and don't remove them. There...done....no need to worry about bringing ones if you don't feel the need to tip higher.

Archived