Why tip with drink coupons?

NewCruzer1

LOL Tx, I wish I knew!!!!! I do believe though, some people just like to argue and debate... it's amazing to look at someone's posts and see how much they are actually on here sharing their cruising experiences/answering questions and how many are only around when their is controversy... oh well... I think that is the case everywhere... For me, it's a preference to tip, and tip well... and could give a rat's patootie what anyone thinks... if they are upset because I get my drinks sooner, tough... I'm not paying for their vacation, I'm paying for mine :D

I also refuse to tip before a service is rendered, ex...tipping the cabin steward at the beginning of the cruise.

I never tip before service is rendered....you have to wait UNTIL service is rendered in order to determine if it was good or bad.

HOWEVER, tipping the cabin steward as soon as we meet is one of my few exceptions.

I won't say here on the boards what we get but we get things most cruisers would not even think to ask for. Some of the things we NEVER would have thought to ask for....but they are offered us by stewards.

ALSO......most cruise personnel are NOT Jamaican.

AND.......most Jamaicans do not have pools.....that's just a LMAO. :p

Dolly :)

Thank you for the quick reply on this.

So, if this is the case, why is there such a debate and whining about tipping. Many have said they wish it was just built into the price.....it can be if you choose. Pre Pay your tips (as I have) and don't remove them. There...done....no need to worry about bringing ones if you don't feel the need to tip higher.

The problem with the way it is now,is there are some people who did not realize about the tipping and are almost ready to cancel because they cannot afford it.We have another thread on this BB that deals exactly with that issue.

It will be only a matter of time until we see every cruise ad containing "more" detailed info. The industry was forced to include ports and taxes in their ad prices and soon the tips will probably be spelled out also in one way or another. As soon as they automatically start adding them to a S&S they are opening a new can of worms.

Steve

The problem with the way it is now,is there are some people who did not realize about the tipping and are almost ready to cancel because they cannot afford it.

It will be only a matter of time until we see every cruise ad containing "more" detailed info. The industry was forced to include ports and taxes in their ad prices and soon the tips will probably be spelled out also in one way or another. As soon as they automatically start adding them to a S&S they are opening a new can of worms.

Steve

1) Then "they" need to find another type of vacation. Can't afford the tip for the room steward but can afford $50 for the specialty eatery and another $60 for the spa? Rediculous.

The cruise ads don't need to be more detailed. I seem to recall that pretty much everything one needs to know is ALREADY in the Carnival brochure. Tips are ALREADY added the the S&S card.

The problem with the way it is now,is there are some people who did not realize about the tipping and are almost ready to cancel because they cannot afford it.We have another thread on this BB that deals exactly with that issue.

I have read the thread you are referring to. This is one person(family) out of the masses. It is unfortunate if they decide to cancel, however, I fail to see this as the fault of Carnival.

If one has never participated in a particular activity, a little research should be done. In my opinion, if one is savvy enoung to navagate message boards, set up a cute little avatar for their screen name and place a snazzy countdown clock in their signature, they are knowledgable enough to read a FAQ on the activity they are interested in. Carnival does offer this info and explains (in detail) two different options of taking care of this expense. The poster of the thread you are referring to even says he/she wanted to give the family a nice vacation and there wasn't much research done. I would think as friendly cruisers, the members here should offer different ways of saving money for this person in distress about this unexpected cost (as many did). I don't think this should be an opportunity to attack others who have knowledge of the policy and go above and beyond that. Nor do I think a buisness should change it's policies because someone jumped in with both feet before researching what they were getting into.

I read on some story that said nearly all folks leave the suggested tip on their S&S card. And that only about 2%-3% ask to remove it "because they want to tip in cash". There are checks and balances for this, and as it turns out, this 2%-3% have no intention on tipping and stiff the staff. Many folks go to the purser to get tipping envelopes so that can provide additional tips, in person, in cash.

Myself, I like to tip the bar wait staff above the 15% in hopes they will wait on me first the next time. Call it a bribe.

Only cruised once before and tipped the cabin steward the suggested amount. In hotels, I tip the maids and also leave them a note asking for them to leave a couple extra towels.

I'm going to bring a small callaspsable ice chest and would like to have the steward keep ice in it.

How much "extra" (an up front tip first day) would any of you high-end tippers recommend (with a nice note asking for ice) as a cabin bribe? :rolleyes:

I just don't see it as right. If these are the wages these people live on and CCL clearly spells out the "Suggested amount",yet charges your on board account for a suggested amount AKA "Tip"...at what point is it not a tip? Is it their wages or is it a tip and if it is the latter then why auto charge it?

Any one who wants to tip less or even thinks about it on this BB gets clobbered.Why is that. I also question the room steward tip anyways.A hotel gets couple of dollars from me per day when I stay there.A ship cost's me $14 a day.What difference is there from a maid versus a steward?

I clearly agree the wait staff works for a tip but the Steward?This is just CCLs way of not paying them.

Steve

I would think the difference is a made makes your room up once.

A steward makes your room 2-3 times a day, brings ice, picks up and returns laundry, turns down your bed, and other misc stuff I don't know of yet.

My DW and I had champane we brought and set on the dresser. Came back later and it was on ice. Kept it that way for 4 days, until we drank it. Never asked.

Won't find a maid doing this stuff for you.

To answer your other question, tipping may not be taxed, or taxed less. These are foriegn ships and I'm guessing, do not have the same tax laws as the US. I'm sure it is good for both the employees and the cruise lines.

That said, how much to bribe the steward?

I work for a NYC Luxury hotel. The housekeepers (maids) make about $15.00 per hour in regular wages (more in a union hotel). I dont think the housekeeping staff earn much in gratuities... If they do, its just a little extra.... Tipping isnt expected.

Room Stewards on a cruise are paid in tips and make little, if any, regular wages.

That's the fundamental difference.

Ventureman....... Based on what Ive done in the past, and what others have done on these boards, I think $10.00 to $15.00 would be fine...

I think you can ask him do do it for you even if you don't give him an upfront tip. But I think he would be hoping you would show your appreciation at the end of the cruise.

Any one who wants to tip less or even thinks about it on this BB gets clobbered.Why is that.

I see tipping as just another expense of the cruise. Just a guess, but maybe people get "clobbered" because others see them as cheap or not compassionate toward people who get paid so little to work long hours and put up with some pretty tough guests. Not saying this applies to anyone in particular, just MHO.

Archived