Labadee Questions

cloudydrms

• 2 weeks later...
Water shoes recommended for Labadee? Thanks.

Yes. There are lots of rocks and shells as you get out into the water, so water shoes would definitely help. My first time at Labadee, a friend had an unfortunate encounter with a sea urchin just off the beach. She really wished she had been wearing water shoes then. :mad:

• 2 weeks later...

Im so glad I found you all!

We are going to Labadee in November and I had NO idea what to expect. We've only been on cruises with regular ports, not the private islands.

What beach is best to hang out on? Or can you do a couple different beaches, say one before lunch, one after? Or all the beaches really the same?

Im so glad I found you all!

We are going to Labadee in November and I had NO idea what to expect. We've only been on cruises with regular ports, not the private islands.

What beach is best to hang out on? Or can you do a couple different beaches, say one before lunch, one after? Or all the beaches really the same?

if you can manage to get on the excursion to malfini beach i would highly recomed it! only about 20 or so people go so its not crowded at all and its absolutely gorgeous. they've got chairs set up for you on the beach and in the shade, float mats for the water and a bar. conrad is a nice guy.

just looked at the malfini beach excurison ... question. Why pay the $60 a person to just go to another beach, get one drink and a mat for free when we can stay right at labadee? Any guidance would be great, am I missing something about that excursion?

Also, can you use your soda card and get free soda on the island?

• 2 weeks later...
We walked as far as we could go on Labadee and "set up" on the farthest beach area -- a decision we did not regret. We basically had the place to ourselves, and no one hounded us to buy things or tip for dragging chairs out to the water. We had our choice of sun or shade, and we moved our chairs after a couple hours when we thought we'd had enough sun. Even though this was Thanksgiving week and the ship was full to capacity, there were empty chairs all around us. We were kind of near a volleyball court, and we had a great view of the people riding the zipline.

When we walked back to the ship and saw how crowded the first cove (Nellie's Beach?) was . . . well, I know that my family would've stayed there about an hour before calling it quits.

As for lunch, they have several buffets, each with a covered serving area, covered seating areas, and live music. We ate at the one over by the Dragon's Breath rock. The rest rooms for this location are by the Dragon's Breath bar, and they do require a few steps. For you Southern cruisers, this is NOT a BBQ lunch; you will not a pig cooked in a pit, which y'all know is the only form of REAL BBQ, nor will you find sweet tea, cherry-wine, red slaw, or moon pies. Royal Caribbean needs to start calling it what it really is: a cookout.

One lunch hint: The fruit punch is awful. If you're not going to buy alcoholic drinks from the bars, bring a bottled water or canned soda from the ship.

Since mobility is a problem, you should look for the tram, which takes people from one end of the island to the other. (no charge)

You tell it MsPete being originally from Salisbury, NC it would be great to have a "Cheerwine" or a "RC Cola and a Moon Pie" on a ship.

Non southerners haven't got a clue what they are missing.

• 2 weeks later...
You tell it MsPete being originally from Salisbury, NC it would be great to have a "Cheerwine" or a "RC Cola and a Moon Pie" on a ship.

Non southerners haven't got a clue what they are missing.

Agreed that what RC calls a BBQ is not at all a BBQ or even a cookout since nothing is actually cooked "out" but rather brought from the ship.

However your statement about Non southerners not knowing what they're missing, I think that can be said about pretty much any part of the country. For instance, I'll take my New England fresh seafood over tea and a moon pie anyday. To each their own, right??

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I'm also curious about the walking distance (we will have a 4yo with us). From looking at the map, I think I would like to go to Hideaway beach area. Is this a good spot? How far a walk from tender station?

Can anyone answer the previous poster's question regarding the Malfini excursion? I am looking at booking it, but wondering what I am getting for $60/per person. Thanks.

I have also been wondering about the Malfini beach excursion. It would be great to get a few viewpoints. :rolleyes:

I'm also curious about the walking distance (we will have a 4yo with us). From looking at the map, I think I would like to go to Hideaway beach area. Is this a good spot? How far a walk from tender station?

We went to Hideaway. It is a bit far down so it is the least crowded but there are bathrooms, one of the lunch areas and Dragon's Breath Point right nearby so it was a great spot in my opinion.

It is a bit of a walk. A four year old could do it, but coming back if they are tired your best bet will be to wait for one of the trams. Also, you may see the water park play area when you first get to Labadee and your little one may want to play there first. On the Liberty, the morning hours of the water park where reserved for Adventure Ocean and you could drop your child off just as you had on the ship. Its all fountains and water guns, no pools so safety is not an issue. We dropped the kids off, headed to Hideaway, got ourselves all set up and relaxed for a while, then went back an hour or so later to pick up the kids. Worked out great for us.

• 1 month later...

Thanks for the info... so if I understand you correctly, the water park is on the land? I know they have water "park" area out in the water with things to climb on, etc... She would not be able to do that. Sounds like a good idea.

• 2 months later...

Archived