Should a single traveler tip?

fxstsb

Do you pay 2x or 1.5x?

I think Carnival states the tips are per person

2x not 1.5. that is history. Tell me I am wrong, I can use $500. I think you missed my point. I you check the paperwork somewhere it says there is abuilt in tip.

Ok a single traveler pays 2X fare. Tips are built in so that traveler pays twice. Should that traveler pay more?

not always pays two times the fair and they also dont pay the 2nd taxes and port fees so i would say nope besides you can adjust the tips you wish to give your stewart and waiters at the pusers desk if you are not happy with the amount they charge

2x not 1.5. that is history. Tell me I am wrong, I can use $500. I think you missed my point. I you check the paperwork somewhere it says there is abuilt in tip.

I didnt miss your point

You can remove the auto tip or leave it, thats your choice

Call your TA or PVP and ask how they bill for tips for a single cruiser

I have not seen this topic addressed before...

not always pays two times the fair and they also dont pay the 2nd taxes and port fees so i would say nope besides you can adjust the tips you wish to give your stewart and waiters at the pusers desk if you are not happy with the amount they charge

Agree on port fees

Ok a single traveler pays 2X fare. Tips are built in so that traveler pays twice. Should that traveler pay more?

Tips built in:confused: Of course it is your option to not tip but you are still using ship services, having you room cleaned, dining, etc.

My sister is in a similar situiation in that they are having to pay the 3/4 rate for an infant. They are saying that aren't going to tip because of this to make up for that fare. I don't agree with their decision but it is their decision.

It's still 1.5x if booked in a 1A unless I'm not reading it right.

Carnival Cruise Line has implemented a new fare structure for single

cruises.

For category 4A and higher, fares are still 200% of the double rate, but now

they are charging 200% of the non-commissionable fare (NCF) component of the

cruise. Essentially, this adds another $159 to the fare for a 7 day cruise.

Example...

Old pricing, 7 night cruise $800 plus $159 NCF plus $59 tax = $1018

New pricing, same cruise $800 plus $318 NCF plus $59 tax = $1177

Carnival includes the NCF in quoted fares, so the new fare will look like

$1118 plus $59 tax (old fare would have been $959 plus $59)

(Category 1A will have the same policy but at 150%)

This wasn't unexpected and it applies to new bookings, not to bookings under

deposit. Other cruise lines have been doing this for a while now.

It is getting harder and harder for singles to find good rates. Carnival's

1A inside program is no longer as good a value as it once was. Royal

Caribbean sometimes has specials where they will sell a cabin at 150% for

singles... but other deals are becoming fewer and fewer.

`````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````

You are going to pay 2X the taxes/fees which is about an extra $159 for a 7 day cruise.

Bill

I'm not sure where the "built in tip" is coming from but tips are based on per person. I've always been charged for one person when I travel solo. They are charged to your onboard account. However, the crew I've always encountered have been, more often than not, exceptional and are deserving of some extra cash at the end of the cruise. :)

My personal feeling is that if the cabin steward is good, you actually should tip the full amount for two people. He/she has to work basically just as hard whether there is one person or two people in the cabin. And why should he/she lose out on expected income because you cruise solo?

In the dining room, chances are they will place you at a table that is filled by others. In that case, I see no problem tipping the wait staff as one individual. The waiter and assistant waiter will make their full amount for the table because other passengers are there [hopefully] tipping.

Tips built in:confused: Of course it is your option to not tip but you are still using ship services, having you room cleaned, dining, etc.

My sister is in a similar situiation in that they are having to pay the 3/4 rate for an infant. They are saying that aren't going to tip because of this to make up for that fare. I don't agree with their decision but it is their decision.

I hope they tell their waitstaff and steward at the beginning of the cruise. This kind of stuff makes me cringe. They know going in but feel by stiffing the people who take care of them all week makes it right.

Why not pick a different kind of vacation?? I'm just talking out loud as I'm sure you've either said the same thing to them or at least thought this to yourself.

Bill

You will pay $10.00 per day. If you feel you received outstanding service and want to tip more, it's up to you.

The ones traveling with the baby need to tip more as there will be more work for the steward with a baby in the cabin including disposing of diapers, more towels used, etc. These people work hard and can you get a maid to come in you home twice daily and clean up after you and make your bed for $10.00 a person per day, don't think so. I think it's well worth it and always try and tip extra if I feel we received good service.

It's still 1.5x if booked in a 1A unless I'm not reading it right.

Carnival Cruise Line has implemented a new fare structure for single

cruises.

For category 4A and higher, fares are still 200% of the double rate, but now

they are charging 200% of the non-commissionable fare (NCF) component of the

cruise. Essentially, this adds another $159 to the fare for a 7 day cruise.

Example...

Old pricing, 7 night cruise $800 plus $159 NCF plus $59 tax = $1018

New pricing, same cruise $800 plus $318 NCF plus $59 tax = $1177

Carnival includes the NCF in quoted fares, so the new fare will look like

$1118 plus $59 tax (old fare would have been $959 plus $59)

(Category 1A will have the same policy but at 150%)

This wasn't unexpected and it applies to new bookings, not to bookings under

deposit. Other cruise lines have been doing this for a while now.

It is getting harder and harder for singles to find good rates. Carnival's

1A inside program is no longer as good a value as it once was. Royal

Caribbean sometimes has specials where they will sell a cabin at 150% for

singles... but other deals are becoming fewer and fewer.

`````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````

You are going to pay 2X the taxes/fees which is about an extra $159 for a 7 day cruise.

Bill

I booked last feb thru carnival and got charged 2x. Thanks for your post.

You will pay $10.00 per day. If you feel you received outstanding service and want to tip more, it's up to you.

The ones traveling with the baby need to tip more as there will be more work for the steward with a baby in the cabin including disposing of diapers, more towels used, etc. These people work hard and can you get a maid to come in you home twice daily and clean up after you and make your bed for $10.00 a person per day, don't think so. I think it's well worth it and always try and tip extra if I feel we received good service.

I completly agree with you I tip my stewart when i get on the boat(small amount) and then if more at the end if he has lived upto his end of the deal plus i pay my $10 a day The service you recieve is more then worth the extra $$

Such a good point! I knew my sister was super cheap but I couldn't believe it when she told me this. She did say that they "might" not tip and I do hope they change they minds.

I hope they tell their waitstaff and steward at the beginning of the cruise. This kind of stuff makes me cringe. They know going in but feel by stiffing the people who take care of them all week makes it right.

Why not pick a different kind of vacation?? I'm just talking out loud as I'm sure you've either said the same thing to them or at least thought this to yourself.

Bill

I agree that it is pretty backwards thinking:rolleyes: . I have until Dec. 08 to put pressure on them on this issue so we shall see.;)

My personal feeling is that if the cabin steward is good, you actually should tip the full amount for two people. He/she has to work basically just as hard whether there is one person or two people in the cabin. And why should he/she lose out on expected income because you cruise solo?

Based on this theory, than when you have a third/fourth you should only tip for two becase the cabin steward only does the same work as for two. So why should he/she get more than expected income because you have more per room.:rolleyes:

A solo pays one set of tips at 10 per day, three and four per cabin pay 30-40 per day. This is the Carnival policy.

I have gone solo before (1A@150%, tips@$10per day) and have several moore already booked. Looks like it's going to be more costly in the future.

Just a FYI, some other lines don't require tips for infants, Carnival does.

I booked last feb thru carnival and got charged 2x. Thanks for your post.

WOW! I don't know why they say the 1A's are still 150%. Sounds like false advertisement. I know the othe categories are 2X.

Hope I never have to cruise single and find out.

Good Luck

Bill

Based on this theory, than when you have a third/fourth you should only tip for two becase the cabin steward only does the same work as for two. So why should he/she get more than expected income because you have more per room.:rolleyes:

A solo pays one set of tips at 10 per day, three and four per cabin pay 30-40 per day. This is the Carnival policy.

Actually, it is not a policy. It is a recommendation.

As for the third/fourth in a room, I have no problem with giving the room steward a BONUS above and beyond what he/she counts on making, but I don't feel right docking his/her pay just because I chose to sail alone. Beyond that, I imagine keeping the room nice gets substantially more difficult when there are more than 2 in a room... Like I said, it is my personal feeling. Take it with a grain of salt if you like.

The amount of your tips (the tip they automatically place on your shipboard account) is PER PERSON. The tip amount has absolutely no relevance to what you paid for the cruise. If your single supplement was (God forbid) 500%, you will still tip PER PERSON. I've cruised solo 3 times, and I pay per person, per day, without regard for the cruise fair. This is easy and simple stuff - just forget about your fare, you are one person and you pay (I hope) the recommended tip per day for one person.

By the way - I hate huge single supplements. The supplements can vary too, and there are deals out there if you keep looking and are lucky. DW has had problems with her elderly mother, which has resulted in my solo cruises over the past year. Celebrity has been 200% for a long time, and I believe RCI is also 200%. I haven't paid 200% with Carnival yet.

Ken

I have gone solo before (1A@150%, tips@$10per day) and have several moore already booked. Looks like it's going to be more costly in the future.

With 4 in a room, there is always more work because two are usually in upper bunks that need to be stored away during the day, ladders put back in closets, etc. If children are included, they often trash the room. In any event, there is more luggage and general crap in the room that the steward has to work around without breaking a leg.

Then it would stand to reason that one adult passenger w/o upper bunks and no overabundance of luggage would actually be less work. Also, some people are slobs while some people are relatively neat (even though they are being waited upon.) Do the slobs pay a higher tip?

One person, one tip.

Archived