Is it true

Margate Cruiser

The cost of water is over 2.50 a bottle. Also a charge for the shuttle bus from the ship to the center of town. Do all celebrity ships have these charges. Tell me I am wrong.

Which ports are you talking about? In Alaska there was a shuttle in Juneau and I think it cost $1 or so but I walked. Not sure about other ports or other destinations.

If you haven't been acclimated to the world of the airline and cruise industies, welcome. You pay for pretty much everything these days! Food on the plane? "Food for purchase." Bottled water? Of course you pay:) . Tap water is fine, thank you very much. Free too!

John

partly true. some ports have free shuttle service; others charge a fee.

there is a charge for bottled water but on board why drink it. the water on the ship is treated better than most tap water...and bottled water has absolutley no regulations so you don't know if it has been treated or not. If you are talking about to take the bottled water ashore, I'd wait and buy it once I got ashore.

The issue is that these mega ships nickle and dime everything. I was told That they charge 2.88 for water as you get off the ship and I think they charge 7.00 or about for a water holder. And they put a tip on top of the water as you go off the ship. Thats guts

The big bottles of Evian are $4.50. Not sure what the smaller bottles are. I have only purchased the bigger bottles. Yes, that's allot of money. On the ship I drink tap water. I guess I could bring an empty water bottle and just fill that up with tap water when leaving the ship instead of buying the Evian.

I bought a large bottle of Evian water with a very nice holder for $10.00 onboard the Galaxy in 2004 and I am still using the holder along with a refillable water bottle. I think water is the least of your expenses. My motto is don't sweat the small stuff.

Of course they charge for bottled water. It does not surprise me at all that they charge for this, nor does it surprise me that the charge is higher than at our local supermarket. It cost around $4.30 for a large bottle of Evian, including the 15% service charge added to all beverage purchases throughout the ship. You can always drink the tap water - which I've found is usually, but not always, just fine. On our last cruise on the Millennium in Europe the tap water was heavily chlorinated. OK to drink, but not real appealing.

Just curious - has anyone ever been on cruise ship where they did not charge for bottled water or for a bottle carrier (other than perhaps a paid excursion that provided water during the excurions as part of the excursion cost)? I think all cruise lines I've been on charged for this, and all have added 15% to all beverage purchases - this isn't unique to Celebrity as far as I know.

Shuttles - I've never been charged for a ship's shuttle in the Caribbean or Hawaii cruises. If required they've been short and free. At times the ship docks a ways away from the town center. At some ports the town offers free shuttles if this is the case but more often than not you'll need to take a taxi to go "downtown". In Europe there usually was more of a charge, but it wasn't always necessary. For example in Dubrovnik the charge was $12/PP round trip but a taxi was $10 each way and could hold up to 4 people for the 15 minute ride to the old town area. Similar charge in Corfu, but we chose to walk the 1.5 miles or so to the heart of the historical district. In most cities one took a taxi or tour in any event (ports near Rome, Florence, etc) as the main town was very far away. I suggest a bit of research in the Cruise Critic port of call forums so you'll know about your ports ahead of time.

Just back from Med on Century--there was a shuttle with charges for each port that needed a shuttle--nothing free. We had booked ship's excursions so did not need to take any shuttles... No shuttle in Gibraltar but we needed to ride---some wild & rude cab drivers there...

We were on the Orient Lines - Marco Polo a few years ago and as you left the ship they gave you a bottle of water - no charge, no tip, just handed it to you.

Remember that Evian splelled backwards is "naive." Just a thought. Some one said the ship's water was more purified than bottled water, their right, and no trash to dispose of orbottles to manufacture, so better for the environment..

The ship's charge for bottled water is somewhat like a restaurant where you have the option of drinking "tap" or buying bottled water.

It is not that unusual. And yes, you end up paying 15-20% tip on that bottled water in a restaurant when you pay your bill.

If you don't care to pay for it, the tap water is usually just fine.

The cost of water is over 2.50 a bottle. Also a charge for the shuttle bus from the ship to the center of town. Do all celebrity ships have these charges. Tell me I am wrong.

The Seabourn Spirit cruise that you have booked looks like a fantastic itinerary .... and likely free bottled water included.:)

Celebrity's cruise prices don't factor in too many free beverages, but we do as others have mentioned and bring a water bottle (to fill from the pitcher in the room), purchase bottled water ashore or 'bite the bullet' and pay $2.88 (which is probably less than what we've paid for it at sporting venues, theatres, etc.)

But there are no charges on board. Not a penny. But it's a different type of cruise line. Not for everyone at all. All cruise lines have there pluses and minuses

But with the difference in fares between Celebrity and Seabourn, I'm surprised that you think it's unusual for Celebrity to charge for extras. It doesn't make a lot of sense to me ... you are booked on Regent and Seabourn but you are concerned about the cost of a bottle of water and shuttle services on Celebrity. :confused:

Went to a very famous female singers concert in Las Vegas last year and in her theater you could purchase a bottle of water with her name on the label for $14.00. People were actually buying two or three and drinking them. I was just today in NYC and one of the street vendors was selling water for$4.00. They get what people will pay, just don't buy it, the ships water is probably better quality anyway.

We've not needed shuttles except on our Brit. Isles/Nor. Fjords cruise last year. We payed $10 round trip pp in Plymouth and Bergen, the only ports we did on our own that were too far away to walk. Our friends stayed in Dublin longer after out cruiseline tour and payed $5 pp for the trip back to the ship. It was published in the Daily that if you ended up not using the shuttle tickets, you could get a refund.

The Sept 15th Connie TA............there was a bus from the ship to the center of town in Le Havre, France.....I THINK it was 16 a person, we walked.

Also had a bus from the ship to an area near shopping in Dublin, it WAS 16 bucks a person as I have the folio with the charges. It was pretty blustery that morning and we went ahead and took it.

Also has a FREE bus in Halifax as we were in a commercial working dock area and HAD to bus out for security.

Chuck

We, too, were surprised by the charges (coming from Crystal), but in context it is no big deal. I was most surprised by the cost of transit into the city from port (since its virtually required).

Since I happen to not like buying overpriced water, I just buy water in port - which has never been a problem.

We're headed on X again in a few weeks and looking forward to it!

But there are no charges on board. Not a penny. But it's a different type of cruise line. Not for everyone at all. All cruise lines have there pluses and minuses

Margate, not surprised you don't pay for bottled water on Seabourn, you've paid enough in the fare itself to cover the cost for enough bottled water to swim in;) .

Jillybean;)

What about the nearly $2,000 We charge up on an average 2 week cruise for wine, martini's, and my most favorite Royal Salute scotch which is actually a bargain on the ship compared to some bars we go to at home in Philadelphia.

We thought about looking at Regent and may still try it but for now, we love the environment on Celebrity and we are often very surprised when we read sone of the posts on this board. We never seem to see the bad stuff that some folks speak about. I don't think that we are very picky but we travel luxury on land and on sea we consider Celebrity to be a bit below luxery but definately in the ultra-premium category. IMHO

What about the nearly $2,000 We charge up on an average 2 week cruise for wine, martini's, and my most favorite Royal Salute scotch...

Wow, I'd be in a stupor all night if I spent over $140/day on liquor, even good stuff. Yes, you might want to try Regent of Silversea unless you're drinking very high end stuff (which is not always included).

Of course they charge for bottled water. It does not surprise me at all that they charge for this, nor does it surprise me that the charge is higher than at our local supermarket. It cost around $4.30 for a large bottle of Evian, including the 15% service charge added to all beverage purchases throughout the ship. You can always drink the tap water - which I've found is usually, but not always, just fine. On our last cruise on the Millennium in Europe the tap water was heavily chlorinated. OK to drink, but not real appealing.

Just curious - has anyone ever been on cruise ship where they did not charge for bottled water or for a bottle carrier (other than perhaps a paid excursion that provided water during the excurions as part of the excursion cost)? I think all cruise lines I've been on charged for this, and all have added 15% to all beverage purchases - this isn't unique to Celebrity as far as I know.

Shuttles - I've never been charged for a ship's shuttle in the Caribbean or Hawaii cruises. If required they've been short and free. At times the ship docks a ways away from the town center. At some ports the town offers free shuttles if this is the case but more often than not you'll need to take a taxi to go "downtown". In Europe there usually was more of a charge, but it wasn't always necessary. For example in Dubrovnik the charge was $12/PP round trip but a taxi was $10 each way and could hold up to 4 people for the 15 minute ride to the old town area. Similar charge in Corfu, but we chose to walk the 1.5 miles or so to the heart of the historical district. In most cities one took a taxi or tour in any event (ports near Rome, Florence, etc) as the main town was very far away. I suggest a bit of research in the Cruise Critic port of call forums so you'll know about your ports ahead of time.

My Mom and Dad said they use to give out bottled water on the ship when they first started cruising, in the 70's. I was at a Cruise Line cocktail party and some of the excutives were telling us that the "main" reason that they stopped "giving" away water on the ship is because there were many passengers that would take as many bottles as they could ashore and sell them.

Maybe passengers reap what they sow

Archived