POA poll have you canceled?

cruise182

Have you or would you cancel your POA cruise?  

107 members have voted

1. 1. Have you or would you cancel your POA cruise?

• I have canceled my POA cruise due to reviews.
    • If I could cancel my POA cruise I would but I am under the penalty.
    • I was going to book POA but after reading reviews i have decided to look into other options
    • I am not cancelling because I beleive it is not that bad or it will get better

We were originally on the 9/19 POA sailing but since this is our 40th anniversary and we have been reading reviews on the boards as well as talking to neighbors that have returned from the cruise we decided to change our plans. Instead we are doing the 10 day on 9/22 with NCL Wind.

I have wanted to see Hawaii and we love to cruise so this will satisfy both of those desires.

We have sailed NCL in the past and have had wonderful trips and I am sure this one will be even more exciting due to the itinerary.

I'm scheduled to sail the POA in January 2005 and have been monitoring the situation closely. Notwithstanding the many problems onboard the ship, we have read that the ship is still nevertheless a good alternative to a land vacation if the POA is viewed as a "floating hotel."

While this is certainly not what one should expect of a cruise, my wife and I sat down and planned out the shore excursions that we would like to take and came to this surprising revelation --- we would be spending the entire day off the ship, only returning in the evening for dinner and the nightly shows! Indeed, many of the shore excursions offered by the POA are over 6 hours and include a meal. This is wholly unlike our recent cruises in the Caribbean where we would spend the morning on shore, only to return to the ship for lunch, and then venture out once more.

I don't mean to suggest that the POA does not have many problems or that something should not be done to correct them. BUT, based on the sheer amount of time we will be spending off the ship, this is one of those rare ocassions where we have decided that we are willing to use the POA as a "floating hotel."

Certainly, if this were the Caribbean, where there are several days at sea, and where the ship is the focus of a vacation, we would not be willing to settle for anything less than the perfect cruise experience. But, in light of the perfect 7-day itenerary (and our inability to take anymore time off from work to sail other cruiselines 10-day sailings which include days at sea), we have opted to settle for less than an ideal cruise experience this time around.

Hard typing and walking that way, but I am still hanging in and hoping for the best come January 2, 2005. My group is still upbeat and looking forward to seeing Hawaii.

Maybe we need to get a Roll Call started and see some positivity in this situation.

I am encouraging NCL to keep working and come out of this with a great product!

My wife and I are booked on POA for 01/16/05. With all the Media and Reviews I'm hoping NCL gets there act together and has everything Ship Shape by the time we go.

I was supposed to be on POA for the 01/16/2005 cruise, and changed to the Wind on 01/15/2005. Now I am starting to regret that as well. I am reading so,so many bad things about NCL. I hope our 10yr anniversary cruise isnt a bust....:o

I'm so relieved to see that I may be able to get a full refund. My TA was told our group could get a full refund last Friday, but then today they told her NO!

I live on Oahu and this is not something that our tourism community smiles kindly on. At least all the bad reviews are about the ship -- and not Hawaii.

If you can get a refund, do it, but still come to Hawaii. You'll have a great time no matter what.

Hawaii is a fantastic place. There are other cruise lines going to Hawaii. Yes there are days at sea but they are relaxing and can be great.

Also, land/condo/island hop trips are fantastic.

If you do Can POA till it hopefully get's better... don't can Hawaii because then you really are missing out.

It's interesting that the poll is running about 50/50 right now, which is quite good considering the poll responses are skewed against NCL (three related to cancelling and only one that isn't). I'm in the "waiting to see" mode, as I believe many others probably are in the hopes that NCL (albeit a bit too late) is finally taking noticing. I would have preferred a proactive than reactive approach from NCL since they knew they were having problems within the first two weeks, but am hoping everything is or will be improving.

It's interesting that the poll is running about 50/50 right now, which is quite good considering the poll responses are skewed against NCL (three related to cancelling and only one that isn't). I'm in the "waiting to see" mode, as I believe many others probably are in the hopes that NCL (albeit a bit too late) is finally taking noticing. I would have preferred a proactive than reactive approach from NCL since they knew they were having problems within the first two weeks, but am hoping everything is or will be improving.

Good???? Look at the percentage of posters that have canceled.....Over 20% now that alone ia a high number!!

I think it's a shame that all these folks are cancelling, though I understand. However, being the optimist I am, I'm thinking it leaves those of us who are still going with better service if there are empty rooms and less passengers :)

Angus

However, being the optimist I am, I'm thinking it leaves those of us who are still going with better service if there are empty rooms and less passengers...
I believe that's exactly what NCL has purposed to accomplish with their temporary, relaxed cancellation policy. It's a little late, but better late than never. For us, however, it was just not worth the gamble.

Craig

I believe that's exactly what NCL has purposed to accomplish with their temporary, relaxed cancellation policy. It's a little late, but better late than never. For us, however, it was just not worth the gamble.

Craig

We leave in the AM for Honolulu, and cruise on POA on Sunday. I guess we are "gambling" that the crew/passenger ratio is lowered , and the service will improve. No matter, we WILL have a great vacation! Bob

POA 9/5/04

We're on the PoA on 9/5, and we're going to stay there. From what we've been reading on this board lately, we didn't realize that our very first cruise on the Patriot in 2001 was so bad. Didn't realize how poorly the ship was maintained, or how miserable the crew was, etc. We had a great cruise!

The PoA is not the Flying Dutchman. A good cruise is what you make of it, we believe.

Bring on formal night! :D

Good???? Look at the percentage of posters that have canceled.....Over 20% now that alone ia a high number!!

I would agree, if we weren't polling a group that has done so much complaining. As outspoken as this forum has been about the PoA I'm surprised it's not much higher.

-Monte

I know all 3 of my posts so far are about Pride of Aloha but I want to make my 2 cents pretty clear:

1) The ship offers an ACCEPTABLE product already, and NCL has made up for the quirks on my trip and then some!

2) I think that with time things will only get better. Hopefully bad press from the bunch of (self-censored) that have been spreading complaints doesn't prevent NCL America from having a genuine chance to do so.

3) The only times I ever cancel one of my cruises is when I find something completely different that I've really wanted all along. So far this has happened 2 times.

A- I cancelled my 2001 cruise on the Jubilee after winning any Carnival cruise up to 7 days long of my choice in a T/A booking contest. Needless to say I lucked out and I don't expect to see it happen again anytime soon, though it certainly would be nice! I choose the Elation because I didn't think I'd otherwise be able to see the Mexican Riveria with the cost of airfare from Newark. Had a nice time, though of course they always make out destinations to be better than they really are, not that they were bad...

B- I cancelled my cruise on the Caribbean Princess for next year after noticing almost all of the extra space added is used for more cabins and at the same time Carnival sent me some brochures for the Carnival Liberty's 2005 Europe season. I'll probobly really like that one, but I was really hoping to cruise on Princess sometime soon... :(

1) The ship offers an ACCEPTABLE product already . . .

Perhaps acceptable to you, but not all cruisers, especially those with past cruising experience. I for one am horrified by the reviews of the buffet, the long waits for dinner, and the short staffing. Further, dinner stops at 9 pm, but the brochure states that you only have to be seated by 10 or 10:30 pm.

2) I think that with time things will only get better.

I sincerely hope you are right! However, it is alarming that people have been complaining about the service and writing NCL for over two months before they took public action (perhaps they were doing something behind the scenes). And then, it appears that it was reactionary as a result of bad press rather than proactive. As a result, my concern is that even if NCLA fixes things, will they work to keep them that way or will things deteriorate once again when the "fix-it team" is off the ship?

3) The only times I ever cancel one of my cruises is when I find something completely different that I've really wanted all along. So far this has happened 2 times.

I've only cancelled one cruise in my life and that was because of a career change and the sailing date no longer worked. I spend too much time researching a cruise to cancel, but must admit that I am seriously considering cancelling my POA cruise. I like cruising for cruising, not simply as transportation around the islands.

Now I really hate to sound combative, but I do have past cruising experience. I'm sure many of you have "outdone" me but the Pride of Aloha was my 16th cruise, and it was nowhere near the best but it was not the worst. (The worst was the Nordic Empress in '91- their daily program was one side of one paper, and some of those activies were cancelled because the band didn't show up! The food quality varied wildly, and the ship did nothing for me. The whole experience made me stick with Carnival and nothing else for the next 10 years. But that's another story.) Just because there are loads of bad reviews doesn't mean they're correct- even if they are opinions. I don't think most people who had a great time are as compelled to write an online review within 45 minutes of their return as the nitpickers that refused to even let themselves have fun at any event. I only say this because having seen that the only problem that I personally encountered was the horrid wait for 2 nights. This problem was solved in the middle of the cruise and NCL more than made up for it- so I don't see what the panic is about.

RandomUser,

Please include your past experience in your review. I believe that will give many of us insight on where your opinions/views are coming from. Also, as much detail as possible PLEASE! I am on the fence regarding cancelling, and need some current reviews to help make the decision.

:) We just decided to extend our Hawaii vacation to stay two extra days after our cruise. We are trying to decide if we should go through NCL to book the post cruise at the Waikiki Marriott. ($169 pp. for two nights) We are staying there for one night prior to our Feb. 13th cruise and were lucky to get government rates - $112 for partial ocean view. Has anyone done a post cruise? If so, what are the advantages. I know they advertise that you can check in from the hotel and book restaurant reservations and spa reservations from the hotel. Is this really true? Also, the package pays for transportation to or from port to hotel, as well as a tip for the bellman. How much is that? Also, is this hotel close to things, or will we need transportation or tours?

NCL from Skyward, Sunward, Sunward II, Dream, Norway to POA

Carnival - lots

RC - Sovereign

Celebrity - Millie - and going on Mercury to Alaska next May - YES!

Plan to do Panama Canal in 2006.

Pre & Post cruise stays are great, especially if you're flying in a great distance and/or spending a lot on the airfare. If so, the added expense of a couple extra nights is negligible compared to the cost of the airfare and an affordable way to extend your vacation.

Only the precruise stay will help you with reservations onboard. Obviously, post cruise is just for relaxing. The benefits of pre-cruise stays is that you get to rest up before boarding, get to explore the port area, have extra time in case of unexpected delays, less chance of missing the ship, and you can ensure that you arrive to the port early to be one of the first onboard to maximize your vacation aboard. Post cruise stays are nice because you are not rushed the last day of the cruise and can leisurely wait out the disembarkation process. Further, most hotels will let you check in early, or at the very least store your luggage. Further, the airport tends to be a little bit better as you don't have everyone on the cruise rushing to the airport around the same time. May not be an issue in some places, but in smaller airports with a lot of cruises arriving/leaving on the same day, these days at the airport can be quite busy.

We did cancel our booking for the 11/28/04 sailing. After going through the Pride of America to Pride of Aloha rebooking process, we did not feel any great excitement about taking a chance this cruise would be better by the date we sail. Since we already had our airline tickets, we converted this trip into a land vacation of two islands. We will reconsider another Hawaii cruise at a later date and possibly with another line. Maui and Oahu here we come!!!

Awesome---you made the right choice. I'd rather NOT go on a bad cruise and wonder what I was missing, as opposed to going and then being laughed at by everyone when I stated what a dreadful time I had. It's simply not worth it. I was on the July 4th sail of POA and I feel like I was robbed-- not only of $4,000+, but also my honeymoon. We felt like starving prisoners trying to escape the whole time. ENJOY your land vacation....MAUI is beautiful---I loved it!

We are scheduled to cruise POA on 12/12 and are weighing our options and watching the boards closely. We have until 9/28 to cancel without penalty from the cruise line. We have to weigh the flight and internet company cancellation fees vs our excitement about seeing Hawaii for the first time vs our love for constant, decent food on a cruise. Thankfully, we booked one of the cheapest rooms on the ship.

Any recommendations for a nice, reasonable hotel near Honolulu?

We have to weigh the flight and internet company cancellation fees vs our excitement about seeing Hawaii for the first time vs our love for constant, decent food on a cruise.

Ladytc,

I'm in a similar situation as you. I've considered a land trip, but I want to see the islands, not just one or two. Further, prices for this cruise are only likely to rise in the future. With that said, however, I also don't want a lackluster trip because NCL cannot get their act together.

One suggestion: contact your internet TA and see if they'll waive their cancellation fee. They might given the circumstances. As for the flight, if it's through NCL, you might have to resign the $50pp. However, if you booked on your own, book your vacation that same week and use the tickets as is.

Archived