What to ask steward for on arrival to room?

favouriteplaces

They do not launder the bedspread between sailings. You never know what people did on them the sailing before. They do change the sheets between sailings so they are always safe to leave on. Not sure about the extra sheet though.

Thank you, I didn't realize that...yuck. :eek:

Linda, can I ask what is the reason for the extra top sheet? I've also seen other people mention removing the bedspread completely? I never thought to ask for that. It just gets in my way anyway..lol

We asked that our bedspread be removed from the room for the entire week. It isn't necessary as there was a nice duvet on the bed, (and it's bulky and not attractive either). I do the same in a hotel room and never even sit on it!

I highly recommend the top sheet...as I doubt that these duvets are cleaned every week either. I don't know why they don't place a top sheet on the bed to begin with. (You aren't asking for an 'extra' top sheet, there isn't one unless you ask for one). And the bed was very comfortable and no need for the egg crate for us anyway.

We have only gotten the slippers when in a suite or been VIPed by someone at Princess.We have a drawer full of them at home.

Once we turned Elite we started getting the slippers even in an inside cabin.

what is a "patter"?

I do like this thread but just wondering what is in the mini bar is it chargeable?

A "Patter" is the daily paper delivered each evening with the next days programs, etc.

The mini bar has small bottles of alcohol, bottled water, soda, and specialty water. A one time set up is provided free to Elite and Suite Passangers.

If you are neither of these there is a list of beverages, etc. and their prices provided.

We asked that our bedspread be removed from the room for the entire week. It isn't necessary as there was a nice duvet on the bed, (and it's bulky and not attractive either). I do the same in a hotel room and never even sit on it!

I highly recommend the top sheet...as I doubt that these duvets are cleaned every week either. I don't know why they don't place a top sheet on the bed to begin with. (You aren't asking for an 'extra' top sheet, there isn't one unless you ask for one). And the bed was very comfortable and no need for the egg crate for us anyway.

They don't put a top sheet on the bed because the whole point of a duvet is not to have to use a top sheet -- it's a very European way of making a bed. I'm sure they wash the duvet covers between sailings. It's pretty obvious if you look at it when you first arrive -- it's freshly ironed and obviously crispy clean. Now the bedspread is another matter, those they definitely don't wash. But I tend to just leave it be -- that way when I come into the room and drop my wet/dirty pool towel and sticky suntan lotion bottle down on it, I don't have to worry.

Once we turned Elite we started getting the slippers even in an inside cabin.

A "Patter" is the daily paper delivered each evening with the next days programs, etc.

The mini bar has small bottles of alcohol, bottled water, soda, and specialty water. A one time set up is provided free to Elite and Suite Passangers.

If you are neither of these there is a list of beverages, etc. and their prices provided.

We are also Elite and only received the slippers when someone at Princess gave us the VIP status or were in a suite.It is not shown as an Elite benefit so it must be something new.

Wine glasses,egg crates, special requests for the making of the beds, etc are not part of a regular cabin's supplies and take EXTRA time to provide...................

So you can ask your cabin steward to have WINE glasses provided in your cabin? Or is this only for suites? We will have an OV and have had inside cabins.

Why I ask, is because on a previous cruise with Carnival, I asked our steward for wine glasses and he told me I had to call room service for them. That really was a pain waiting for them to arrive, since I enjoy a glass of wine in our cabin while getting dress. So after the 1st night of calling room service and waiting for the glasses, I just washed out our glasses and kept them in my closet, so they would not be taken out of the cabin.

This would be really nice to have the wine glasses set up to our cabin daily with the ice bucket!

Also, another question, I have previously on cruises requested that the ice be filled by 5 PM, since the DH likes to have a cocktail while dressing. But our stewards have always told us that they service the rooms around 6 PM or after. Well, by 5 PM the morning ice has melted and we are out of the room going to meet friends for the evening or cocktails. Then when we get back to the cabin, the newly filled ice is no longer needed since we have had drinks at the bars during the evening and don't need it before bed. Just wondered how some of you handle this problem.

So you can ask your cabin steward to have WINE glasses provided in your cabin? Or is this only for suites? We will have an OV and have had inside cabins.

Why I ask, is because on a previous cruise with Carnival, I asked our steward for wine glasses and he told me I had to call room service for them. That really was a pain waiting for them to arrive, since I enjoy a glass of wine in our cabin while getting dress. So after the 1st night of calling room service and waiting for the glasses, I just washed out our glasses and kept them in my closet, so they would not be taken out of the cabin.

This would be really nice to have the wine glasses set up to our cabin daily with the ice bucket!

Also, another question, I have previously on cruises requested that the ice be filled by 5 PM, since the DH likes to have a cocktail while dressing. But our stewards have always told us that they service the rooms around 6 PM or after. Well, by 5 PM the morning ice has melted and we are out of the room going to meet friends for the evening or cocktails. Then when we get back to the cabin, the newly filled ice is no longer needed since we have had drinks at the bars during the evening and don't need it before bed. Just wondered how some of you handle this problem.

The room stewards come on at 5:30 on Princess,so ice is available then.If you really need it,go to a bar or the Horizon Court and get some large glasses of ice.We always ask for wine glasses on the first day and there are clean glasses provided every day.

Having hotel experience I am familar with the top sheet request. In many of your nicer hotels it is called triple sheeting. It goes between the bedspread and the blanket or duvet and is changed everytime the sheets are changed. It serves two purposes - to protect the blankets and provide the guest with a clean place to sit. Blankets, down duvets and bedspreads are usually laundered on a weekly to bi-weekly basis.

I was looking at my Personalizer on Princess and saw they had me down for 2 twins. Called and I guess that when there are 3 in a room the system defaults to this setting. Now in my mind having things done ahead of time makes a lot of sense but with Princess they have no way to override this and you have to ask your steward upon arrival. Double work for someone. What a shame.:(

We always ask for ice to be there all day long. We're usually brought a big bucket in the afternoons and a small one in the fridge. A fresh bowl of fruit each day. As elite we always have bathrobes and slippers and the bar set up. The room steward actually checks the robe & slippers before we think of it since we don't normally use them. We just get glasses from the bar and leave a note not to take them. Of course, introduce and get to know steward and waiters. I like the phone card idea. Might do that on the next cruise.

I was wondering if I could call room service and request ice to be brought around 4-5 PM? I don't mind tipping for this service...it would be easier for me to have this done than run all the way up to the Horizon Court for ice, since we are on the Emerald...way below it.

Also, the suggestion for 2 buckets for ice is great. I will do that also and keep one always in the refrig.

I asked for towel animals and got them. Though I haven't tried it on Princess, on CCL, I asked that my ice bucket be kept full of ice and left my smuggled beer next to it. The cabin steward kept the bucket full of ice and beer the whole trip!

The reason for asking for a new bedspread is because they do not change them every sailing. Have you every watched those 60 minute shows where they show all the germs and nasties on the bedspread?

I always just take them off every cruise.

Archived