What to ask steward for on arrival to room?

favouriteplaces

Check to see if you have enough hangers. Usually, there are not enough, so ask for more. Ask for bathrobes if they are not in your room. Ask for an ashtray if you are a smoker. Other than that, I can't think of anything else.

When I board, I tell my room steward the general time I leave my cabin for the evening as I don't like arriving back in my cabin after a late tour and finding it already made up; I much prefer to take a shower before dinner, change for a drink, then dinner, and get back to a freshly made-up cabin.

I haven't needed to ask my steward for an egg crate for the last two Princess cruises since the beds were very comfortable without the egg crate.

I really don't ask my steward for a lot.

Hi,

I found it's great to get to know your cabin steward. Ask him/her their name and where they're from.

If you take interest in and respect them, they will take interest in and respect you also.

Ciao for now!!!

No question--they can make your trip wonderful--as with anything in life--treat others as you wish to be treated--I also bedlieve in tipping--when not expectecd

Nancy:D

Hi,

I found it's great to get to know your cabin steward. Ask him/her their name and where they're from.

If you take interest in and respect them, they will take interest in and respect you also.

Ciao for now!!!

I agree completely. I also request that they remove items in the cabin we won't use (bottled water, etc and anything in the fridge that we won't use and might take up valuable space. It makes our life easier and they don't have to move it around all week and we won't accidentally get charged for it if it is misplaced.

I always introduce ourselves by our first names. I usually have them remove items like coffee table that I constant hit. I ask for bathrobs, and min of 3 towels. I also let them know approx. what time we go for dinner. Not much is asked, and if something comes up during the trip they are always quick to accommodate. Oh last cruise we asked for feather pillows. We always provide an extra tip on the first day, usually $20

enjoy your trip

Hi,

Ciao for now!!!

Well said Ron

Hi, I found it's great to get to know your cabin steward. Ask him/her their name and where they're from.

If you take interest in and respect them, they will take interest in and respect you also. Ciao for now!!!

We do the same. It is nice to get to know them and say hi as we come and go. We always tell him/her what dining we have (Late Traditional) so they can know when we will be out of our room. We also like to request an extra Patter each day so we have a fresh ones as souvenirs. ;)

We ask that there will be a big bucket of ice in the room and that there will be a delivery about 4 pm for afternoon cocktails. We ask that the mini bar be emptied. I tip a $20 at the start and say that there will be more at the end.

We ask how they are, how long on the ship, where from, and also ask for additional towels, robes, wineglasses, and to remove the bedspread. We tell him/her we have anytime dining and will look for them when leaving our stateroom in the evening for dinner so they don't have to guess if we have gone or not.

I actually write down the bedspread, towel and wine glass requests (the most important ones to us) so they don't have to try and remember since they probably have at least 20 staterooms, and that many requests to keep track of.

I think from now on we will pre-tip as well. We almost always have an evelope to hand to our cabin steward, together with a you made a difference card, on the last morning of the cruise. But it does seem like a good idea to pre-tip as well.

Thank you all for your wonderful suggestions. I'll write it all down and make sure we pre-tip etc.

Leaving this afternoon for London, once school has finished - can't wait!!!!!!!

Thanks once again - I love these boards :)

Hayley

The subject of pre-tipping is hotly debated. Some view it as bribery. Personally, I have never pre-tipped and we have almost always had great service.

One thing I do like to discuss with our steward is that while I am an early riser, my wife likes to sleep in. I usually suggest that he put our cabin towards the end of his rotation. SWMBO has never been disturbed by a steward anxious to take his afternoon break.

I always write a note for what I need, with a big thank you, leave it on the bed with a tip, as I'm asking for more than a regular cabin provides!!

Wine glasses,egg crates, special requests for the making of the beds, etc are not part of a regular cabin's supplies and take EXTRA time to provide!

I am asking for above and beyond the "normal" supplied in cabins and it deserves an extra tip!!

My requests have always been done in a timely manner. I feel my requests would be supplied tip or not, but out of respect for their time I tip!

Hi,

Ciao for now!!!

Right on Ron, that is exactly what we do to. Those room stewards work very, very hard so we try hard not to ask for alot of things.

Marilyn

really slippers are avail. I didn't know this, how are they?

vickie

We've had the slippers in the room w/robes--they are a large one-size fits all--we may have had them on this last cruise because it was a full suite

I took a look at the 2 pair--exactly the same size--encased in plastic wrap--and being in a full suite--the robes were the higher quality variety--anyway I opened one of the slipper packages--slipped them on--very large--I wear a woman's 7--have no idea what these are--I walked through the suite with them on--not bad--I used them for the cruise--the

sole looked a bit slippery--seemed okay--probabaly wouldn't wear them on a wet balcony

They are BETTER than they look--they should fit a man's foot easily

even though they are large--they pretty easy to walk in--when you ask for them they'll probably give you large and small--since I didn't ask--I assume they are all one size

Nancy:D

Great thread!

We normally ask for none of these things when we are on a Cruise. I didn't know you can make such requests!

This time, we faxed in a request for the Egg crate toppers. There was an overwhelming amount of people saying Princess beds were little to be desired. I also did check the box for the Robes on the Cruise personalizer. That was a great benefit to us.

Can someone please talk to me a little more about the Bedspread issues? Why a sheet on top, etc?

We have always purchased a pack of "Pre-Paid" phone cards from Sam's Club. They have about 30 minutes on each card. I believe we get 20 in a pack for a mere $20 or so (don't quote me!). We ALWAYS give them at the end with extra cash tips (according to service). Every morning, we leave one for the Cabin Steward (and assistant if he/she has one). Our kids, my husband and I always sign a "Thanks for all you do!" note with a little picture they draw and we place it on the bed with the phone card. I know for sure, those are VERY appreciated by these people as they are all usually international citizens and calling home to family is expensive. It truly is the little things that make the experience more enjoyable for US and THEM. Getting to know them vs making them feel that they are here simply to "Serve us" is a bad idea. They work hard and deserve more than just a smile sometimes.

Happy Fall :)

Extra pillows, robes & a top sheet for the bed

Linda, can I ask what is the reason for the extra top sheet? I've also seen other people mention removing the bedspread completely? I never thought to ask for that. It just gets in my way anyway..lol

Archived