Ginger Root for Seasickness?

romy

Hi, I've only been sick at sea once while in a forward cabin, but I like to be on the safe side. I went to the pharmacy looking for ginger candy and the pharmacist only had ginger root capsules.

Has anyone used these and if so, how? Preventively or after the fact?

I've read that there have been tests with ginger vs actual medicines and the ginger worked far better with no side effects. I'm just not sure if that's the candy (which I haven't found) or the capsules or if it doesn't even matter.

BTW, I asked the pharmacist all these questions and she didn't have a clue.

Thanks and happy sails!!!

Romy:)

Hi, I've only been sick at sea once while in a forward cabin, but I like to be on the safe side. I went to the pharmacy looking for ginger candy and the pharmacist only had ginger root capsules.

Has anyone used these and if so, how? Preventively or after the fact?

I've read that there have been tests with ginger vs actual medicines and the ginger worked far better with no side effects. I'm just not sure if that's the candy (which I haven't found) or the capsules or if it doesn't even matter.

BTW, I asked the pharmacist all these questions and she didn't have a clue.

Thanks and happy sails!!!

I can't answer your question, it sounds like the ginger root pills would be what you want, regardless, we too, have heard it works great.

Nita

I do not sail with out a bottle of Ginger Root capsules! I was told about them on my first cruise and followed the advice. Which was a blessing! As we had 20 foot waves on that cruise from a hurricane. Everyone else was feeling the effects of the seas and I never slowed down.

The next cruise I thought I was smarter and didn't need my little pills. We pulled away from the port and by the time we hit open seas, I was asking my mother for some of her ginger root.

Check with your doctor just in case, but we start ours about 2 weeks before the cruise. 1 pill 3 times a day and keep it up for about a week afterwards.

Thanks so much Let'scruise! Did you take them preventively, like every morning and how many?

Thanks again!

I took them preventively. As ChevyCruiser stated one tablet a few days before the cruise and one each day of the cruise was sufficient. I usually took mine first thing in the morning.

Thanks to all of you! Great tips and advice. I'll pop one right now.

The one cruise we were way forward the ship's doc gave me meclazine (sp) and if anything, that made it worse.

Thanks again everyone, I really appreciate it!

Happy Sails!

We've been able to find candied ginger at local health food stores. We always take it with us. The capsules are fine, but I like the taste of the candied ginger.

Besides mythbusters, we had a rough night on Crystal a few years ago and they had bowls of candied ginger on the table in the alternative restaurant. Also, there was a big bowl of it in the entrance to the Princess Grill restaurant on the QM2.

I used ginger gum on our last cruise and it worked really good. I got it at the CVS pharmacy where they sell Dramamine and stuff like that. The ginger gum I got is made by the same people that make Sea Bands which is what my DH swears by.

I start them one to two days before the cruise and I take one in the morning and one at night before bed on the cruise. I even take them at home if I have an upset stomach!!!

This is what I do... it seems to work the best! Never been seasick

I start popping ginger Altoids the day before the cruise (I can't find them in the stores anymore, but bought a case of them (12 tins, a lifetime supply) on Amazon.com), and they work quite well.

The ginger root tablets should work just as well. I know that you're not supposed to use large amounts of ginger if you are taking certain medications (blood thinners may be on that list), so check the label and check with your doctor (since the pharmacist appears to be clueless) to make sure you're not taking anything that shouldn't be combined with ginger.

My DH swears by the capsules. Before he used them he had tried every other method out there. We have more pics of his empty chair at formal dinners than I would like. Since he started them he has not missed any dinners or any activity he wants to do. He takes them in the morning, with lunch, late afternoon, dinner and bedtime. He's a lot more pleasant to be with when he feels better.

I took my first cruise in September and had Bonine in my bag and had taken it the two days beforehand as well.

By the second day I felt really queasy and I happened to be in the general merchandise store on the Golden Princess. Right by the cash register were ginger capsules. I bought them, took them immediately and felt fine from then on. As the days went on if I began to feel even a little bit "iffy" I took them again. No problems, side effects etc. I would definitely recommend them!

• 2 weeks later...

Archived