Oceania Upgrades at Check-In

lgcochran

Upon our arrival on board, friends of mine were upgraded from a C1 Ocean View to a B2 Veranda on our last cruise, which sailed from Istanbul to Athens.

It was their first cruise with Oceania, the weather was lovely, and needless to say they were thrilled, and thoroughly enjoyed having a balcony.

But I agree with LHT28, "If you want a specific category cabin just book it to begin with and you will not be disappointed"

Enjoy your cruise, Oceania is a wonderful line.

From my impression based on reading this board for years, it seems that unlike some other cruise lines which may upgrade passengers (to please them) just because there are vacant cabins in a higher category, Oceania only upgrades when they have some reason to need your particular booked cabin (such as when there is a group which needs to be together), and they have to move you somewhere. The unwritten convention is that cruise lines have the option of moving customers to a higher category without their requesting it. I don't know if you definitively want a particular booked (and fully paid for) cabin, whether you can pre-declare that you refuse to be upgraded.

Some years ago, when we booked and fully paid for a "category 1" on the Celebrity Mercury, we received our final documents and luggage tags with that cabin number printed on them. When we appeared at the pier to board, only at the check-in desk did they inform us that we had been upgraded to a "sky suite" (exact same cabin inside, but with a balcony twice as big). We accepted it, and because of the sudden change, we did not receive our luggage until after the ship left port (thankfully, everything was still intact)!

Many people would not consider it to be an upgrade from an inside category F or G on Decks 7 or 8 to a tiny porthole category D on Deck 3, but it is. This situation occasionally occurs, so make sure if you are being upgraded that you know exactly where you are being upgraded to.

Rickey

Archived