Ideas for Puerto Vallarta???

jjb415

We will be stopping in Puerto Vallarta while on the Oosterdam in January. Any ideas for activities during the day? Thanks in advance !! :)

If you can do a trip out to Las Caletas, it is worth it. It is a beach area only reachable by boat. We were there during an Atlantis resort week in 2000. Some of us went scuba diving, other snorkeled off the beach and others just hung out on the beach.

The served a great lunch on the beach. To me is was a very Shirley Valentine moment. :)

I don't have any information on how to arrange a trip out there unfortunately.

We will be stopping in Puerto Vallarta while on the Oosterdam in January. Any ideas for activities during the day? Thanks in advance !! :)

Hey Jack,

As somebody said before "Blue Chairs" is the place to go! It is really wonderful there, great service and not expensive at all. Check out the roof top pool, where you get a great view of the city! I have been so many times there!

Marcus

Certain days of the week, the owners of Paco Paco (the big gay disco - at least it was) would run a boat out to there private island resort along the bay... very nice and very remote.. maybe that was what the poster meant by Las Caletos... anyway, there is tons of gay info for PV available on the internet by googling. It's a wonderful town.

Certain days of the week, the owners of Paco Paco (the big gay disco - at least it was) would run a boat out to there private island resort along the bay... very nice and very remote.. maybe that was what the poster meant by Las Caletos... anyway, there is tons of gay info for PV available on the internet by googling. It's a wonderful town.

Hi Matt! That was me. It was an Atlantis excursion when you and I both were there in 2000 (but did not know each other yet).

It's called Las Caletas and seems to be on the coast south of PV, like Paco's Paradise (it was just not as gay :) ).

This looks like the place: http://www.banderasnews.com/vallarta-photos/south-coast-las-caletas.htm

We are doing the "sea lion encounter" at the the dolphin center, booked through HAL. The cruise lines seem to pre-book all activities available on that port day, so you have to go through them. Looks like great fun, and a google search turned up no issues with any PETA disapproval. The center's website says it is one of the two places to swim with sea lions, so it sounds pretty unique to me. I also think sea lions and sea otters are as cute as kittens!

I found an attractive boat trip offerd by the Blue Chairs, but, unfortunately, it isn't going to be offered the day that we are in port. Too bad, since we will have a late departure from Puerto Vallarta. I'll keep looking.

Thanks to everyone who has offered suggestions! I appreciate it. :)

Right outside the cruise terminal is the main road. Get on any bus that says "CENTRO" ask the driver or other other tourists to advise u of the last stop and u can walk to blue chairs appox 20 min walk as u leisurely walk by all the shops. The bus is about a 20 min ride and cost is about 1.25 a cab will be 30 from pier. U can also get off the bus a soon as u see the maelcon (boardwalk and hang around downtown, lots of bars rest. and stores.

If you want a FANTASTIC place to eat in PVR seek out Red Cabbage Cafe. The stuffed Chili with pork and pommegranite cream sauce is to die for!!! You can actually eat there then walk to the Blue Chairs hotel for a day at the beach....and maybe catch gay bingo on the roof at Blue Chairs.

As for Paco's Retreat I recently heard they are closed?? Can anyone confirm this?

• 3 weeks later...

I was just in PV and had a great time.A cab ride to Blue chairs is only about 10 to 12 bucks. DO NOT take a white taxi out of the port. Walk out of the port and take a yellow taxi. Very short walk. The white ones are run by the national govt so the fare is higher.

We took a day cruise with SantaMaria cruises. The ship we went on was YATE. GREAT time. gay friendly. Well the whole area is gay friendly. Don't feel you have to do a gay tour just to feel OK.We did 3 str8 tours while we were there and were treated with nothing but repect and kindness.

The Blue chairs is OK and is fun, but if you want to see more do a tour.

Have a great trip!!

Cheers!!

Jeff

Yep, another vote for Los Veranos...

We did the ziplining at Los Veranos. My partner thought he'd be afraid of the heights. At 500 feet (the highest line), I thought I might be too. It was FANTASTIC. Highly recommended. Plus, at the end is a restaurant overlooking a river / swimming area. Also fun.

is a great lunch (or dinner) ocean-side restaurant, Daiquari Dick's. It's too expensive for locals, but all the ex-pats living in the area (and the in-the-know tourists) go there. It's highly recommended and not expensive by US standards at all.

Gary

San Francisco

Puerto Vallarta has a thriving gay neighborhood, the Zona Romantica, located in the same general area as the Blue Chairs. There are coffeehouses, internet access, shops (Liquid Men's), good restaurants, bars and clubs (Paco Paco) for nightlife. You can even get a massage from a professionally trained masseur for $35/hour (Venus Massage)

Its a good town for walking, as mentioned before, you can walk to most places from the Malecon (waterfront boardwalk). Although weve not done the Zip line, Ive heard alot of positive reviews about the experience.

We did the ziplining at Los Veranos. My partner thought he'd be afraid of the heights. At 500 feet (the highest line), I thought I might be too. It was FANTASTIC. Highly recommended. Plus, at the end is a restaurant overlooking a river / swimming area. Also fun.

Hey SingerEsq, if you're still around, what company did you use for the ziplining trip?

Archived