Hurricane Frances - Path, evacuations and reports

kristikae

I'm so tired of doing nothing all day already! This hurricane looks like it sfalling apart and it looks like it may never even make it to the Florida coast!

I have MAJOR cabin fever...and more than anything pissed becuase we could have left tommorow!!!

Time to kickoff my pre-cruise drinking!

By tomorrow we should have Hurricane winds in my area. I have more preparing to do today. The motels and hotels are all full in the Tampa Bay area. It is a eerie sight to see the huge amount of empty gas pumps in the area. I am going to try and stay off the road to conserve gas. The traffic has been unbelievably heavy, there are so many people evacuating. I don't blame them, I would leave the East Coast.

Last night the trees had a circular motion to them and the air was very humid. The humidity is one of the things that stuck in my mind from the last time an eye of a Hurricane passed over Tampa Bay. No electricity and the humidity was horrible. If the Hurricane stays on the same track as it is now we should not have the eye pass over Tampa Bay, but it should pass to the north of us. We will be within the 80 mile radius though which means Hurricane winds. The flooding that is predicted is for a min. of one foot of rain.

By tomorrow we should have Hurricane winds in my area.QUOTE]

I don't think Tampa will be getting any of the Hurricane force winds. LOTS of rain and some higher tropical storm gusts (I just saw it estimated at maybe 35- 40 mph by the time it reaches the Tampa bay area on fox 13). Plus, at the current path we will be on the south side of the storm, which will produce less rain and not as high winds.

It's still going to be nasty out there though, come tomorrow and monday, so everyone stay safe!!!

edit...ok, I totally screwed up the quote thing..sorry!!

Spoke to my dad and stepmom located in West Palm Beach in 3 separate calls at 9:30 this morning. The first 2 were cut short due to them losing power. The last call was from the cell phone saying that they have completely lost power. They already had near hurricane force winds at that time with a long way to go.

The Hurricane has come inland and the weather has worsened. We are having heavier wind and rain this a.m. I look for the electric company to cut the electricity when the weather gets worse. We are the evac. point, I can't imagine being in the direct hit area. The wind is really blowing here now. I remember some of the stuff from being a kid, but it is different when you are an adult. Yesterday the clouds were being blown by fast. It was strange sight to see. I'm as ready as I can be. Glad I'm not on a cruise ship today. It's not very often that you will hear me say that! LOL

UPDATE: Evacuation orders are being lifted here in Miami-Dade County. The airport will have its first flights at 2PM.....and we are now under a tropical storm warning...the hurricane warning has been lifted as well..

Hope my beloved Triumph can get here soon!

Been awhile since I have been on. We live in Melbourne and evacuated to Orlando on Thursday. With the teenage girl and new puppy and kitty cat. Feeling a little stress about what is going on at home. I have read reports on line that Melbourne looks like a diaster zone. Our house is on a very wooded lot near the river. So we are counting on the worse but praying for the best. Not feeling very good here. Feeling really stressed and need my old friends to cheer me up. So Crusiingwithmybaby> hope you are doing well there we can see tree's falling outside our hotel window. CruisinSteve and LIvtojump make me laugh here!!!

We crazy "northerners" decided we would go to Pensacola this holiday weekend even though a hurricane was headed for Florida. We didn't think it would affect our weekend. DH and I are planning on moving to Pensacola in two years and had been joking that if the forecasters even hinted that a hurricane was heading our way, we'd be out of town so fast. Well, we don't even live there yet and it happened. We packed up our bags on Sunday and left. We didn't want to be driving through the wind and rain. Still want to move to Pensacola despite the hurricanes. However, I'm not so sure about cruising in hurricane season anymore.

Norma

We crazy "northerners" decided we would go to Pensacola this holiday weekend even though a hurricane was headed for Florida. We didn't think it would affect our weekend. DH and I are planning on moving to Pensacola in two years and had been joking that if the forecasters even hinted that a hurricane was heading our way, we'd be out of town so fast. Well, we don't even live there yet and it happened. We packed up our bags on Sunday and left. We didn't want to be driving through the wind and rain. Still want to move to Pensacola despite the hurricanes. However, I'm not so sure about cruising in hurricane season anymore.Norma

I'm one of those crazy northerners who transplanted to Pensacola over 20 years ago. It's a really nice place to live. Even with a hurricane every now and then, I still choose to live here. Fortunately it doesn't happen every year. The most we should get from Frances is some wind and rain. I hope it isn't our turn here in N.W. Florida with Ivan. :eek:

Kidless, hope your house is o- there wasn't as much flooding in Melborne as expected= however I gues the river can still rise.

We are in the Orlando area and at least we have power!!! Many don't- we are under a tornado warning till 2pm today- still getting rain and winds.

A tree fell on my dad's pool patio screen porch- not all the way through though- we are going to see what e can do with it when it stops raining. He's in the hospital with heart problems on top of everything else going on here.

When it rains, it pours- literally now it seems :(

My dad called a short while ago from W. Palm Beach. They have no power since 9:30 am Saturday and not sure when they will be getting it back since the crews will be working from Miami northward.

They lost about a dozen tiles from their roof and they crashed through their screening aroudn the pool. They also lost a palm tree and some other bushes. Their whole complex (Riverwalk) is a mess according to my dad.

Archived