We Need Summit Advice Fast!

Kevbear

Our Summit sailing on 9/10/04 out of Vancouver has been canceled. We've been on the phone with the TA for the past hour while they try to get us squared away. We have been offered by RC a Grand Suite (on Serenade Of The Seas) in place of our Royal Suite on Summit (no charge), plus full refund on the RS on Summit. Problem is we are booked via Hotwire & Priceline pre & post in Victoria & Vancouver. HELP!!! With 2 day date changes on sailing scheduals we are will be out $$$ I have asked for Celebrity to foot the bill for those 2 nights. I could really use some feedback tonight folks, we meet with TA AM tomorrow to decide. Comparisons of ships & services & suites would be a big help too... And this was out 1st cruise for our anniversary... sigh... Murpheys Law kicks in, please answer quick while I go get another double scotch!!!

Kevin

How could you be out money???? RC is offering you, what basically amounts to a 'free cruise'. Forget the small priceline dollars...those couldn't possibly add up to a free cruise...

I would take their offer and run...The Serenade is a great ship. We've been on her sister, the Radiance, and it's our favorite ship to date, out of 10 cruises.

Good Luck!

SDCruiser

What a bummer to hear about the Summit - we had a very nice cruise on her just a few weeks ago. But, it sounds like you still have a great option. As previous poster said, you should still come out ahead. And I assume you would lose your hotel money anyway, so you might as well still get out there and enjoy the other cruise rather than add insult to injury. If it's any consolation, while a great cruise, our Summit trip was hardly perfect (she did seem a little "tired") and I left it thinking that I was ready to try others (i.e. RCI), so I think you'll be okay. (we had been on Summit four months earlier and enjoyed that cruise experience more)

I am sorry to hear about your misfortune. I had a similar experience two years ago with Celebrity. They offered me the same deal and it ended up being the best cruise I have ever had. Yes, your GS may be a little smaller than RS but still better than most people will be sailing. I spent a fortune in the spa with all the money I saved being they reimbursed entirely for the cruise. I say go for it. Look at this as a blessing in disguise. Good luck to you and I hope you decide to take Celebrity up on their offer. It seems like more than a fair deal. Never been on Serenade but looks like a great ship from the pictures I've seen. Do a search on Google and you will find pictures and virtual tours of the GS on Serenade. Not too shabby!

Press Release Source: Celebrity Cruises

Celebrity Cruises Cancels One Alaska Cruise

Wednesday September 1, 6:00 pm ET

Celebrity has established a special Help Desk to assist guests and travel agents with reaccommodations. The Help Desk number is 1-877-200-2897.

Summit is operating safely, merely with its speed reduced from 23 to 18 knots. Summit's current sailing, a seven-night Alaska cruise from Vancouver to Seward, which concludes on September 3, will not be impacted by the bearing issue.

The ship's seven-night September 3 sailing, from Seward to Vancouver, will make minor adjustments to two port calls.

Summit's September 17 sailing, a 14-night Alaska and West Coast cruise, departing Vancouver and concluding in San Diego, will be delayed three days and depart on September 20. Celebrity will contact each guest booked on that cruise to rearrange their embarkation in Vancouver and provide further details.

Thanks Celeb Man,

Our TA is doing the Sept 3-10 cruise and was told by Celebrity that they will be doing a slower travel time & reduced port times.. Ours is (so far) the only itinerary canceled completely by X...

Kevbear,

I want you to know how truly empathetic we are for you in this situation. I cannot imagine the frustration and disappointment you are now feeling having booked our own X cruise over a year ago. I know that Folgy over on the RCL board posted a daily diary and seemed to have a wonderful time on Radiance. I hope you will be able to adjust your plans and still have a wonderful time.

Kevbear.... Talk about flexibility training! So sorry to hear of your cancellation.

Your suites will not be very comparable. But....for the deal you are getting, it is still excellent.

About Priceline: Will they allow you to change the name on your reservation? If so, you maybe could sell it? :confused: ....cheap and still get some of your $$?

Good luck this morning with your decisions. Everything will work out just fine!

Thanks folks with the sunrise we are starting to look on the bright side... we get a free cruise! And with the refund we get from a RS we are looking at having two more cruises next year... just not in a RS and all paid for already :D

You'll love Seranade. We love Summit (sailed her twice two years ago) but we sailed Brilliance this year and we loved her just as much or perhaps a little more.

I think they are offering a very fair deal, even though it's a very frustrating situation. On the bright side, you don't have to deal with Hurricane Frances.

Have a great time!

I agree with Anne. We were in a Grand Suite on Serenade's sister ship Brilliance. We've also sailed Summit, with another Summit cruise booked for February. I think you will enjoy Your Serenade cruise, and you will still be able to celebrate your anniversary. Make reservations at Chops on the special date, and you'll have a truly memorable experience.

Most of the experienced cruisers I have met realize things happen on a ship. Not only are they beautiful floating hotels, but they are also ocean going vessels. When things happen, and you need to be flexible and come up with an alternate plan.

It sounds like you have made a great adjustment to the abrupt change in plans, and you have a good attitude. Next year on your second anniversary you'll be laughing about how your first did not go according to plan, but what a great time you had!

Enjoy your cruise, and your future Celebrity cruises. And most importantly have a great anniversary aboard Serenade.

OK, I am happy we got the free cruise and were reimbersed the $ we had spent for our RS. What I am just having a hard time with is 9 months of planning to get the right ship, the right cabin, the right experience for our celebration of our 1 year marriage marker and all the effort I have expended to make this perfect for my sweetie... What is so galling is the fact that my TA and myself were treated like dirt by Celebrity in the person of one "Phil" (hope you're hearing me Jack) she was hung up on, she was insulted and we do not have the dream of 9 months that I had planned. You know folks... money is not everything, decency in the way we treat our fellow human beings is what I learned at an early age. Always presume a women is a lady no matter what the circumstance, always but always be a gentleman... no matter what the situation. That is what I thought I was getting with Celebrity and the Summit, it appears that every once in a while (preferably not often) one wakes to the fact that the world is not filled with the world of gentlefolk as one had believed and hopes but that there are also trolls... So we are booked on the Serenade, we will have a great time because that is who we are... but always in my heart will be the fact that what was lost is gone and we were treated very poorly by Celebrity in the person of one "Phil" in customer service. In hopes that all your future cruises will be great...

Kevin

I am not kidding when I say this, but I had a bad phone experience will Phil too. I had called Celebrity customer service and was treated somewhat rudely by Phil. Is it the same Phil? Probably. Was he just having a bad day? Could be. Luckily we didn't have our cruise cancelled on us. I'm sorry for those people that did have their cruise cancelled or changed. I know we'd be really bummed too. We are celebrating our 4 year anniversary on our cruise next week. We also planned for a year in advance. I hope you have an even better trip on the new cruise.

Lydia

His name is Phil Marley unless there are two Phil's. I also was treated very rudely and as if I was trying to cheat Celebrity!! This is our first cruise on Celebrity, but we will go back to Princess if Celebrity does not get into customer "goodwill" and common courtesy by their employees.

Archived