Do This Instead Of Walking Key West

luvmygirlz

We had planned on walking as we were told it wouldn't be a problem. Then we walked from the Mel Fisher Museum to Hemingways House (about 9-10 blocks) then had to walk back. The southern most point was another long walk. You are only in port for a short time.

So what did we do? We rented an electric car that held 4 people (saw some that held more). We paid $100 for 4/5 hours. But let me tell you, it was the best $100 we spent the entire cruise! We were able to zip all over KW in no time. Parking is free. We drove all over to several beaches, shopping, taking pictures, whatever. Plus you can come and go when YOU please, not dependent on the trolley/train. If you think about it, the trolley/train is not cheap either. We had 4 people and it would of cost us almost the $100 to do either one of those.

I can not express how much this is worth it! I fought my husband because it was $100 we did not plan on spending, but again, it was the best $100 we spent!!

Sorry, but I do not remember the name of the company, but I can tell you where we got it from. They are right across the street from the front of the Mel Fisher museum. They will shuttle you from there to the spot where you actually get your car. When you are done you simply return the car to where you picked it up and they will shuttle you back to the boat. The place were you actually get the car is by the Dennys on Duval street.

You will need your drivers license and a credit card (we paid cash, but they still took an imprint of the cc, which they gave to us when we paid the cash).

My brother also rented one with us and they really enjoyed it also.

As far as parking. There seemed to be plenty of spaces. The cars are small. The only problem we ran into is they were blocking/closing some of the streets for the Goombay (sp?) festival. We just went a 1/2 to 1 block away and parked. Still a lot closer than walking all of KW

Yes. We were specifically told all parking at meters was included. Included in the rate that you pay to rent the car is a $10 fee to the city of KW. I guess this is to cover parking.

There were some spots here and there where you could park that did not have meters.

We did get a $25 ticket, but it wasn't for parking. It was for an expired registration on the car. When we brought it to the attention of the attendant where we rented the car, he just laughed and threw it away! He said they get them periodically, something to do with the city not giving them enough decals at one time.

• 2 weeks later...

Realizing that these are kind of a novelty and are also good for the environment, I'm still struggling a little bit with $100+ per day.

Am I being cheap, shortsighted or both? I guess, perhaps when DW and I have our rental for a week, it'll just be a spur of the moment thing anyway, but still the cost seems, oh I don't know, just a little high, maybe??

And I've seen $250 a day also... :eek:

I'm too cheap to rent one. ;) Actually, so much is within easy walking distance that unless I had (or was with someone who had) mobility problems, I'd skip the car and walk. When we vacation in Key West, we rent a double scooter to get around, but we'd even skip that if we were only there for a few hours for a port visit.

I can not express how much this is worth it! I fought my husband because it was $100 we did not plan on spending, but again, it was the best $100 we spent!!

This sounds like a great suggestion. I would like to see the lighthouse, the Southernmost Point and the Duval Beach Club. Would you still suggest the electric car for these points of interest?

I'm sure we'll still have plenty of time to visit other sites but I can't decide on any other must see/do places.

You have to decide keeping in mind that Whitehead, Duval, and Simonton Streets are 1.25 miles long, 16 blocks with two half blocks on Duval and Simonton. The Southernmost Point and lighthouse are both on Whitehead along with Hemingway's House and the DBC which is called something else now but is the same is one block over walking on South Street. It's probably most convenient to walk rather than electri car this loop and you will see more.

Pjk

I'm too cheap to rent one. ;) Actually, so much is within easy walking distance that unless I had (or was with someone who had) mobility problems, I'd skip the car and walk. When we vacation in Key West, we rent a double scooter to get around, but we'd even skip that if we were only there for a few hours for a port visit.

How about scooter rentals? Would that be cheaper for a few hours?

• 1 month later...

Is there ample parking at the beaches? We are taking our 2 kids and I know my husband would love to rent one of these. He loves trying new electronic things. We saw many of these golf cart type cars when we visited my Aunt in Florida. Is it easy to get around in the car, or do you have to know your way? Does anyone have a good map?

Dayna

If there is a lot of "car" traffic you will be in traffic as you drive the electric car on the same roads. But, it is a lot smaller and very easy to maneuver . It was just plain fun! And yes we found there was plenty of parking everywhere and it is free at the meters. There was a big festival in the afternoon that they began closing some of the streets off for. At that point the parking was a little harder to find, but still available.

I agree that a good map is essential. The one we had was okay. Just something we picked up at a local shop.

The electric GEMS (the older, egg shaped cars) have a small lockable trunk hanging off the back. Make sure the operator gives you a KEY to it, it's not the same key as the "ignition". The owners buy parking stickers to eliminate having to feed meters. They are pricey, but since you're here for such a short time, it may be worth it. The companies are all priced within 5% of each other.

If you have never been to KW, as I, I was expecting a quaint little town where you could leizurely stroll around and visit everything. WRONG!! Although there are a lot of things you could walk to, I do not see how someone could see as much in the time you are in port walking as you could riding. We walked to the Mel Fisher Museum which is right across from where we docked. Then we walked to the Hemingway house......I believe it was 14 or 16 blocks. Not tooo bad, but you have to walk back. Then so many blocks the other direction, and so on and so on. If you were there a couple of days it might be different. My brother and his wife and son rented one of the cars first. Then my husband wanted to. At first I was totally against it. $100 for a day!!! No way. But he insisted and I have to say I was so glad he did. We were just able to see so much more of the island. It just gave us so much more freedom. Just think, how much does someone pay for a jet ski for 45 minutes or an hour?

The scooters might be a good idea for adults, but I would not recommend it for kids. There is a lot of traffic, but it seems the locals are pretty use to the cars.

Again, I think that was the best $100 we have spent doing something on a cruise yet.

Michell

What a great comparison.We have spent $$$ for jet ski rides, but it was so expensive we only rented one jet ski for my husband and son. My daughter and I watched from the shore. This will hold all 4 of us and we will have easy transportation around the island.

My husband thought maybe we would get to the beach on our own, stay a few hours and then rent the car for 2 hours or so, to sight see. His thinking is, why pay for it to be parked at the beach. We are still talking.

Any opinions?

Dayna

Daynab, our beaches suck. I would spend your short time here visiting tourist sites or on a train or trolley.....sorry to cut to the chase but your ship will likely take you to much better beach destinations than here. I love my island but it's not a beach location.

If you have never been to KW, as I, I was expecting a quaint little town where you could leizurely stroll around and visit everything. WRONG!! Although there are a lot of things you could walk to, I do not see how someone could see as much in the time you are in port walking as you could riding. We walked to the Mel Fisher Museum which is right across from where we docked. Then we walked to the Hemingway house......I believe it was 14 or 16 blocks.

While I agree that you can certainly see more of the island on wheels than on feet in a such short amount of time, we find Key West VERY walkable. We go to Key West for frequent vacations and we do rent a scooter, but if we were only there for the day we wouldn't even bother with that. I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but was thinking that it's only about eight blocks from Mel Fisher to Hemingway House.

While I agree that you can certainly see more of the island on wheels than on feet in a such short amount of time, we find Key West VERY walkable. We go to Key West for frequent vacations and we do rent a scooter, but if we were only there for the day we wouldn't even bother with that. I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but was thinking that it's only about eight blocks from Mel Fisher to Hemingway House.

You are correct in all respects. I don't know how Key West could be more walkable.

Mike:)

Archived