how to clean bottles

consig1

Taking 9 month old on a cruise in Dec and I am worried about how to clean bottles/nipples. If I remember correctly the sink water is not appropriate for drinking. Has anyone else delt w/ this?

As far as I know, the water should be drinkable...probably depends on the ship. I am just off the CCL Liberty. We drank the water...I think most people did. Check with your cruiseline. I don't see why you couldn't wash the bottles in the water. Take your own dish soap. I've heard Palmolive is coming out with dish soap wipes. I also know that you are allowed to carry on bottled water (at least on CCL). If you're worried about the water, carry on a case of bottled water, or buy it by the gallon.

For cleaning the bottles the tap water should be fine; it is potable, at least on Princess. To be extra safe, you could ask the cabin steward to bring you a carafe to keep for your cruise....then go to the buffet to fill it with hot water each time you need to do a rinse/soak in your cabin.

We took our own little thermos for the hot water to prepare some baby food in the cabin which was convenient.

Happy Cruising.

We carried on a case of water for the actualy formula but used the tap water for washing the bottles. Just be sure to bring a small container of soap (you can buy a 99 cent travel bottle of shampoo, empty it and refill) and a bottle brush.

The truth is that , hot water, regular hair shampoo, a decent scrubbing with a wash cloth, along with a good rinse, will really be just fine......

I found using bottles with disposable liners much easier for travel. I premeasured the powder in each, rolled them up and only had to add water while on the road. The ring and nipple where the only things to wash. Worked great.

If not, the sinks, water, etc. are fine for bottles.

All of the main cruise lines offer safe drinking (potable) water. The bottles with liners work the best. You can use tap water for the formula as it is well filtered (the same thing we drink in the DR). Fill the sink, add some dish saop (sample from the mail or pick up one at walmart or use a drop of shampoo), wash the nipples and rings, drain on a hand towel. Have fun!

Dawn makes these pads with dishwashing soap in them, which we used for bottles/nipples. Same solution as bringing a small container of liquid but they don't leak. I would not worry about washing bottles in the tap water, but would use bottled water for mixing formula.

The disposable liners also sound like a great solution but if your child is used to a certain kind of bottle, you are probably better off sticking to what works. I tried using liners with our bottles and it was a leaky mess.

I found using bottles with disposable liners much easier for travel. I premeasured the powder in each, rolled them up and only had to add water while on the road. The ring and nipple where the only things to wash. Worked great.

I brought a box of ziplock bags for this idea. I hated the idea of not recycling them BUT I was able to pre measure the formula into them and store it for traveling (excursions, etc) Very easy.

You can also simply rubber band a roll of ziplocks if you don't want to pack an entire box of them.

We did exactly the same thing--Traveled all over France with DS3 and Ds6 months--

so with the baby--it was sooo much easier

You can buy a plastic dishpan for a couple dollars. I pack it with clothes in the suitcase so it doesn't take up much room. I put my dish soap in with shampoo and such and have never had a leak.

I fill it with water from the shower because it gets much hotter than the sink water.

Fogfog,

Love your Beth Moore quote. Is it old or from her new book?

• 2 weeks later...

After all the replys and reading the family cruising section we booked Disney Wonder for December. Our first cruise was Disney and we wanted our Daughters first cruise to be too. Thanks again to everyone!

Have a great time! I can tell you what we used to do. We filled the bottles with bottled water. I used playtex disposable liners. Then we carried the measured formula with us in the diaper bag. When it was time for a bottle, we just added the formula to the room temp water.

When it was time to wash the bottles, we carried a small container of dish soap and some paper towels (folded in a ziplock). We washed it in the cabin sink and dried them with the paper towels. Always just kind of seemed icky to me to dry them with bath towels used by someone else...lol. ;)

I've bought the wet and wash dish washing towels. Worked great. Also, see if your wait staff will run it through dishwashing in the back. They offered to do this for my son's sippy cups on Carnival. It only took a minute. Have fun on your cruise. My son has been cruising since he was 13 months and loves it! He is now six and asks to go on a cruise over Disney World! Big plus since cruises are so much more relaxing for mom and dad!

Archived