Passport question - AGAIN!

duckfans13

OK I know we've been there many times but I need your advise on an issue. Mom and I are cruising Dec. 14, 2007 on the NCL Sun. Itinerary: Miami, Labadee, Roatan, Belize, Cozumel. Our passports don't expire until Aug. 2008. I know once Jan. 2008 rolls around, passports are required on ships. We also have a cruise booked for Mar 3, 2008.

This morning I got a wild idea - why not renew my passport now and cruise Dec. 14 with a birth certificate. I don't know what travels await us next year and would hate to pass something up because our passports are within the 6 months of renewal. I was figuring why not take advantage now since I can use the option of a birth certificate. I was going to come back from the March trip and send them in right away but if I can do it now all the better.

What do you guys think? What is the renewal turnaround date now? Am I crazy? Has anyone cruised this itinerary and had any problems with just a birth certificate vs a passport?

Thanks, Debbie

You can send it in and ask for an expedite on it. I will cost more but you will have it back in time. I think it will come back in 10 days to 2 weeks. That is what my kids did when they realized that they were leaving and needed to renew them quickly. I think they had them back in 2 weeks. It may take a little longer now that people are rushing to get their passports done.

Well, as of June 2007 the dates were pushed back, you are worried over nothing...

The passport date for cruise passengers has been pushed again to an undetermined date in the summer of 2008, NOT January as it was previously. NCL simply hasn't modified their language yet on their web pages or brochures.

That being said, you should be able to order a new passport renewal and use your BC's without any difficulty in December (regardless).

I applied for a new passport, not even renewed, 2.5 weeks ago. I got an email today that it is on its way to me now. I should have it in the next week making it only 3-4 weeks time. A renewal might even be faster. If you did it now, you may just even have your passport back in time for your Dec. trip.

Go for it! We're also on the Dec. 15 sailing of the Sun. Have you posted on the roll call?

I just got mine in the mail yesterday - It took a grand total of 12 days. I'm renewing at a consulate so it may be a faster process, but it sounds like the long delays initially are a thing of the past.

Probably a good thing to have anyway - they're valid 10 years and you never know when you'll have an opportunity to go somewhere amazing. It would be a shame to have to turn down a trip simply because of not having a passport.

Thanks all. I appreciate the quick response. Mom and I are headed to town tomorrow. I think we are going to take the chance and get them in the mail. I just wish I would have thought about this a month ago when I first booked the cruise. Oh well, again thanks all.

KT32 No I haven't checked into the roll call. Maybe I will stop by and introduce myself.

Debbie

• Administrators

I agree with the above -- renewal is going super speedy fast at the moment. We mailed our passports for renewal and they were received at the agency on September 20. The new ones arrived by expedited mail (we didn't pay for that, or expedited service) on October 4 -- two weeks on the nose. It was $67 each. I think OP's idea is a good one -- ours were set to expire in December, but now we have brand new ten year passports so we can go on a whim if we choose.

I have seen posts recently where people have gotten their renewals or their new passports in less than 2 weeks - without expediting.

Yup (sort of) my husband and daughter did. I am still waiting for mine but it has only been 4 weeks. I won't panic for another 2 weeks.

Well I guess we are the exception . . . . it has been four weeks since we took our son's in for renewal - I did get an email a few days ago saying it was "in process", but it hasn't been sent to us yet. And we cruise in 2.5 weeks.

The bad thing is . . . we had to take his birth certificate in with the renewal so we don't even have a birth certificate to use if the passport doesn't come back in time. I'm not sure if the BC was needed just because he was a minor???

I will call on Monday - apparently if you are within 14 days of travel, you can call and hopefully speed things up. I'm starting to get nervous. A coworker just renewed his in two weeks shortly before we sent ours out so I chose not to expedite thinking ours would be returned just as fast. Oh well.

Well I guess we are the exception . . . . it has been four weeks since we took our son's in for renewal - I did get an email a few days ago saying it was "in process", but it hasn't been sent to us yet. And we cruise in 2.5 weeks.

The bad thing is . . . we had to take his birth certificate in with the renewal so we don't even have a birth certificate to use if the passport doesn't come back in time. I'm not sure if the BC was needed just because he was a minor???

I will call on Monday - apparently if you are within 14 days of travel, you can call and hopefully speed things up. I'm starting to get nervous. A coworker just renewed his in two weeks shortly before we sent ours out so I chose not to expedite thinking ours would be returned just as fast. Oh well.

Tomorrow I would see about ordering an extra copy of his birth certificate just in case. It's always good to have a second copy even if you don't end up needing it for the cruise.

Yep, we are University of Oregon fans. Daughter played volleyball for the Ducks on a full ride scholarship so we are pretty loyal to them. GO DUCKS!!!

Again, thanks all for your input on this passport thing. I think I'm going to expedite and go for it. I know I can travel with just the birth certificate but in a strange way I would feel lost without having it with me. It is kinda a security blanket.

Have a nice Halloween all. We were on a cruise ship last Halloween dressed up as Fred and Wilma Flintstone - too fun!

Debbie

Boy do I feel dumb right now.

DH and I just renewed our passports (both were expired).

We were nervous that they wouldn't come back to us in time for the cruise (I know that we technically don't NEED them, supposedly, but frankly we both felt like we should get them just in case.)

We (cheapskates that we are) even paid for expidited service because I got scared looking at the posted long turnaround times.

I'll let you guys know how long it takes for us to get them back; we sent them off last Friday.

-Sarah

Well, as of June 2007 the dates were pushed back, you are worried over nothing...

The passport date for cruise passengers has been pushed again to an undetermined date in the summer of 2008, NOT January as it was previously. NCL simply hasn't modified their language yet on their web pages or brochures.

That being said, you should be able to order a new passport renewal and use your BC's without any difficulty in December (regardless).

Right now NCL is still requiring passports starting Jan 2008, my TA gave me the whole remember your passports talk the other day, carnival is not requiring them, I think if you can renew now why not do it and get it over with? Who knows the prices could go up again.

I guess my whining last night about my son's passport issue brought us good luck . . . I rec'd another email today that it is in the mail!

OK, with all of you behind me, thanks guys I appreciate your input and support, Mom and I put our passports in the mail today. We decided not to pay the extra $60 to expedite but I have 42 days until the Dec. cruise. If they come great, if not, then we go on with our birth certificate and they should be here when we get back. I'm really glad I decided to do it now. I have another 10 years to deal with this mess again. That makes me a happy cruiser! I'll update on their progress and tell you when they arrive.

Debbie

Archived