Amatrak Seattle to Vancouver

SJCSuzy

Hi All,

We're planning our first Alaskan cruise for next July. We are looking into flying into SEA and taking the train to Vancouver where we'd board the Princess Coral. We'd save about $500 in airfare flying to SEA and the train would only cost about $100 but I'm wondering how feasible it is.

Our ship leaves Vancouver at 430pm and the train would arrive from Seattle at 1135am. Has anybody done this? Is it possible to take the train the same day and make the cruise? Do trains run late? Any suggestions from the experts out there?

Thanks in advance, I've learned so much from you guys already!

Suzy

I would be very cautious about getting in the same day the cruise leaves. What if your flight is delayed? We are flying into Seattle and cruising out of Vancouver also, but are going in a day early. If you haven't made your plane reservations yet, try to go a day ahead, then you won't have to worry about it.

I am with the last poster. I have not taken the train yet, but plan to next year.

We are flying in the day before and taking the train up 2 days before we cruise.

This way if there delay in flight. Or delay with the train or at customs, etc.

Let me clarify, we are planning to go to SEA the day before but want to take the train the day of the cruise. We're hoping to save on airfare and hotel costs seem to be a little better in Seattle too.

Thanks,

Suzy

Let me clarify, we are planning to go to SEA the day before but want to take the train the day of the cruise. We're hoping to save on airfare and hotel costs seem to be a little better in Seattle too.

Thanks,

Suzy

Depends on your tolerance for stress. It's Amtrak, remember, so on-time performance is by no means guaranteed.

I have a hunch, totally unsubstantiated, that if many pax were delayed on the train the ships might delay sailing for a short time.

Now all that said, Amtrak, the states of Oregon and Washington, and the province of BC are working to complete a new siding and track configuration that will allow a second daily departure from Seattle to Vancouver, hopefully by "summer 2008" according to the State of WA. The new departure would start in Portland in the morning, go to Seattle, and leave Seattle sometime in the late afternoon, arriving in Van around dinnertime.

This will be a great boon to all of us in this region when it's done. Right now border delays at the US/Canada highway crossing are bad and will get very much worse soon due to the US rebuilding the customs house at Blaine (I-5.)

We did the same thing you are planning this past July. We flew into Seattle a day early. The day of our cruise, we caught the Amtrak train in the morning. We left Seattle right on time and arrived right on time (11:35). We thoroughly enjoyed the train ride--lots of leg room. We arrived at the ship within 30 to 45 minutes and our ship was not scheduled to leave until 5 PM. Then, the ship had trouble with the azipod, so we didn't leave port until 8:00 or 8:30.

Is that flight $95 roundtrip? ...and I'm assuming it's per person. Roundtrip on Amtrak(for 2) is the price of one flight ticket so a flight doubles the cost? We also plan to fly into Seattle, stay overnight(free!) and train in the a.m. to Vancouver....actually looking forward to the train ride since we have not been on a train in years!

Just a question? Airfaire from Seattle to Vancouver is only about $95.00 plus a taxi to your hotel which I think is about $25.00. Just interested in why you would not choose that option. We are trying to weigh the pros and cons of a train and air. Thanks for your imput.:)

Hi! Airfare is about $100 more per person but since there are 5 in my family and 14 of us traveling over all that's a lot of money! It would only cost the 5 of us about $100 to take the train one way. Our cruise is Vancouver to Whittier so we'll be flying home from there. I'm just trying to find out if it's doable to take the train on the morning of the day we cruise.

Suzy

The answer is yes, it's certainly doable. There is a slight risk of the train running so late as to make the cross-Vancouver taxi a problem, but personally I'd risk it; others may have a different take.

Another option with 5 is to rent a car or two at SEA and drive, spending the night in Bellingham or some other place on the US side of the border so you can be early to the border the next morning. One way rentals ought to be around $100 - $120 (per car, maybe you can get an SUV or minivan to take everybody) which will be close to competitive with the train, cheaper all in when you add high-priced Seattle hotel rooms into the math vs. cheaper ones in Bellingham. Actually, counting transportation from Seattle airport to a hotel for the night, it'll be cheaper to rent cars.

Just a question? Airfaire from Seattle to Vancouver is only about $95.00 plus a taxi to your hotel which I think is about $25.00. Just interested in why you would not choose that option. We are trying to weigh the pros and cons of a train and air. Thanks for your imput.:)
We use the rule of thumb in Europe that if the train is 5 hours or less in time, then we take the train. Same theory applies here. Airports are usually located out of town while train stations are usually more centrally located, so you need more time and $$ for transfers to and from the airport. But the deciding factor is the stress of dealing with the airports these days. By the time you add the 1.5 or so hours prior to your flight for security clearance and then some type of passport control after you arrive in Canada, it likely would take longer to fly than to ride the train with the train being much more relaxing and scenic. It sounds like on-time performance for the train is sketchy, but that is definitely the case for flights. So I would also choose the train in that situation, and the $$ saved would be a bonus.

Happy travels,

Donna

we did this summer of 2006 - flew in Seattle the day before (much cheaper for 5 people than flying to Vancouver) and spent the night. Then took the train the morning of the cruise - we were at the ship by 12:30 PM, cruise left at 5. there are earlier posts in this area on this subject - do a quick search and you will see the earlier posts with helpful hints about what time to get to the station and luggage restrictions. have fun!

we did this summer of 2006 - flew in Seattle the day before (much cheaper for 5 people than flying to Vancouver) and spent the night. Then took the train the morning of the cruise - we were at the ship by 12:30 PM, cruise left at 5. there are earlier posts in this area on this subject - do a quick search and you will see the earlier posts with helpful hints about what time to get to the station and luggage restrictions. have fun!

Thanks for the info, I'll search and see if I can find info about that. Now I just have to talk the rest of the group into this. My kids have never been on a train so I think this will be really fun.

Can you tell me what hotel you stayed in? We're looking for something closer to the Amtrak station.

Thanks again!

Suzy

Do you know that Princess offers motorcoach transfers from the Seattle airport to the pier in Vancouver? The cost is $45 per person one way. According to the brochure, the trip is about 4 to 4 1/2 hours.

I agree that the train would be more fun and possibly more comfrotable, but if you are looking for inexpensive, reliable transportation it might be worth considering. You'd have to meet the motorcoach at a designated spot at the airport rather than have them pick you up at your hotel. That shouldn't be an inconvenience since you'd be taking a taxi anyway if you decide on the train.

Can you tell me what hotel you stayed in? We're looking for something closer to the Amtrak station.

we stayed at the Best Western Pioneer Square. Nothing fancy, but it is clean and close to the train station, and included continental breakfast. Plus it had a great rate for downtown Seattle, as I booked early and got a great AAA rate (I think I payed about $135??).

There were about 4 other rooms there that were also taking the train to Vancouver for cruises, as we were all down at breakfast at the same time. It was between $5 - 10 cab fare (don't remember exactly how much). The hotel was used to travelers taking the train, as we told the front desk the night before we needed cabs, and they had them ready at check out. Plus it was an easy walk to Ivar's for dinner on the day we flew in.

Check the dates though - we went in early June in 2006 and just booked one night. Next summer we are going out of Seattle for a cruise this time (week of July 4), and looked into this hotel again, but the week we are arriving they have a 2 night mimimum. So I just booked us at the Sheraton for a AAA rate of $179 for one night. I'll keep an eye out for better rates in the coming months, but thought this was a great rate for downtown Seattle.

http://book.bestwestern.com/bestwestern/productInfo.do?propertyCode=48128

http://www.ivars.net/

have fun!

We've used Amtrak for Seattle/Vancouver several times, never a problem. We've also used bus service as well as car rental.

Amtrak is my favorite transfer by far. Customs was a nightmare by bus, as every piece of luggage was unloaded and reloaded by the bus driver, very time consuming.

We always fly to Seattle the day before, stay downtown, then are up bright and early to be at the Amtrak station to get choice seating on the west side of the train. Waterfront views are spectacular in places!

Unless a catastrophe happens, I don't see timing being a problem at all.:)

We flew into Seattle the day before and took Amtrak the day off. We arrived right on time and it was a great way to start our trip.

We stayed at the Sheraton downtown, booked on Hotwire for $130. The Amtrak station isn't in the best neighborhood so I'm not sure about what hotels are near it. It was only about a $10-$15 cab ride from our hotel there. We were in walking distance from the attractions downtown.

Archived