Question about "formal nights"

txflood3

Are suits/jackets required for formal night or would slacks and a shirt and tie suffice, maybe even some suspenders to dress it up a little more?

The reason I ask is that I only own 1 suit. I would feel weird wearing the same outfit (all the way down to the tie) to dinner with the same people 2 nights apart....sorry, call me vain.

I am also thinking about the size of my luggage and the suit, extra shoes, etc.

Are suits/jackets required for formal night or would slacks and a shirt and tie suffice, maybe even some suspenders to dress it up a little more?

The reason I ask is that I only own 1 suit. I would feel weird wearing the same outfit (all the way down to the tie) to dinner with the same people 2 nights apart....sorry, call me vain.

I am also thinking about the size of my luggage and the suit, extra shoes, etc.

What color is the suit??

The suit is grey which would require black shoes. I have brown slacks and olive green slacks which would require brown shoes. I just don't have a sport coat...only the suit....and I can't say that I would feel right in the grey coat with brown pants:rolleyes:

I was just trying to avoid buying things I may not need...even an extra tie.My job does not require a suit or even a tie, so I was trying to work with what I already had. I have no problem wearing a suit if the occasion calls for it, but, like I said, I was just trying to avoid buying things I may not need if my other options would work.

First, DO NOT mix a suit jacket and slacks.....EVER.

Take 2 shirts of color and two different ties. Black shoes will be fine. Make sure the socks are the same color as the suit.

First, DO NOT mix a suit jacket and slacks.....EVER.

Take 2 shirts of color and two different ties. Black shoes will be fine. Make sure the socks are the same color as the suit.

There's just something about a man that knows how to dress. ;)

and I have worn the same dress twice
OMG, SMC, say it isn't so! So have I. We are going on a 14 night Hawaii next year and I'm already stressed with the mix and match thing! And, do any of us really remember what the others at our table were wearing on lets say Wednesday? No, probably not.

Txflood: I'm with everyone else, two shirts and two ties. Wallymart should be able to fix you up for next to nothing....:o

Thank you for the replies.

For the record, I do know how to dress. The comment about mixing the suit coat and the slacks was sarcasm. I was thinking of taking the suit for 1 night and the slacks and tie for another. However, doing this would have required both the brown and black shoes. I was trying to save a little space packing by going with only the different slacks with a shirt and tie...thus only the brown shoes. Hence the question of if a coat was required. I didn't want to get there and feel underdressed.

Take 1 grey suit. Take 1 pair of black dress shoes. Take 2 dress shirts - 1 white and 1 blue. Take 2 ties - 1 for the white shirt and 1 for the blue shirt. Take 2 pairs of dress socks to match the suit - grey and/or black. Take 1 black dress belt.

Wear the grey suit, black shoes and black belt on 2 nights.

Sounds extremely simple to me. :rolleyes:

Thank you for the replies.

For the record, I do know how to dress. The comment about mixing the suit coat and the slacks was sarcasm. I was thinking of taking the suit for 1 night and the slacks and tie for another. However, doing this would have required both the brown and black shoes. I was trying to save a little space packing by going with only the different slacks with a shirt and tie...thus only the brown shoes. Hence the question of if a coat was required. I didn't want to get there and feel underdressed.

I think you were trying to get away one night without a jacket -- perhaps just the slacks and shirt.

My view you WILL need the jacket. And you (and the other posters) are right -- don't mix suit jacket with non-suit pants.

Therefore, as was said, 1 suit, two different color shirts, and two ties -- though you probably could get away with one tie. However, the problem with just one tie is that if you spill something on it and ruin it, you are out of luck.

And always: socks matches pants; belt matches shoes.

Enjoy!!!

CTMak

Just wear shorts and a tee shirt.

Nobody cares.

I have a black tux and a white dinner jacket so no prob dressing. Just have to carry 2 shirts and ties.

You will spill something or mess up your shirt or tie so do bring 2.

Just kidding about the shorts and tee.

Archived