Art Auction

lcdmartin

I am a little embarrassed to post this, but if I can help someone that’s OK.

My husband and I recently cruised on the Miracle out of NY. We attended the art auction and purchased a piece of art. We have come to find out that we could have purchased it for substantially less at a regular gallery. Of course I tried to cancel my order right away and I have withheld payment to the credit card company. I have sent a registered letter with price quotes from three different galleries to Park West (as per instructions form the corporate office). Hopefully they will take this off my bill without too much trouble. Unfortunately we believed the auctioneer when he said their art work was discounted anywhere from 40 to 80 percent from regular land based art galleries.

So if you are going to buy any art aboard the ship please check it out before purchasing it.

I think you have to know the prices of what you're looking for. On our anniversary cruise last year, my DH and I picked up a Charles Schultz Peanuts print that was an excellent price. I found some similar, but smaller on line and at galleries for almost twice what we paid.

I agree - some of the prices on some peices seemed a bit high, so if you know what you're looking for you can either get a good deal or skip the bad ones.

Sorry to hear about your misfortune. I purchased a Thomas kinkade from Park West at sea at well below retail price, but I agree, some of the prices seemed high on other items. Just for information, E-bay is loaded with people selling Cruise Auction art at very low prices and I have aquired several pieces for a song (with Park West certificates). The cost of framing motivates mant to unload them. Still in all, the art auctions on ship were a fun event and excellent for learning about art and lithography.

Aloha

Mark

Yes, I agree you need to know what the prices are first. We've bought some pieces, but they were all less than we could get elsewhere. (We've shopped elsewhere) At least 2 appraised for more than we were told they were worth on the ship.

About cancelling a piece, though - how do you do that? We're still waiting for a piece they couldn't locate and had promised we could return without penalty. We never got to see it other than on a computer monitor, and at this point, I'd like to stop it from coming and not pay for shipping both ways.

Travelitis,

I called Park West and told them I wanted to cancel my order (we purchased last week and there is a 6-8 week delivery time), due to the price. The women told me to send them a letter with proof of the lower prices. I sent out this information registered mail Thursday, so we'll see what happens, I hope I don't have to get a lawyer involved. I feel like such an idiot.

Travelitis,

I called Park West and told them I wanted to cancel my order (we purchased last week and there is a 6-8 week delivery time), due to the price. The women told me to send them a letter with proof of the lower prices. I sent out this information registered mail Thursday, so we'll see what happens, I hope I don't have to get a lawyer involved. I feel like such an idiot.

Ever hear of "Caveat Emptor!" I don't think you have a legal leg to stand on.

BnB

Trick

Park West and almost all modern galleries deal with a lot of Lithographs and Serial lithographs, sometimes refered to as Silkscreens. The are PRINTS, and not original paintings. Some people are confused by these facts and that is where you could be gouged. The prints are nice, textured and if framed look like an oil painting. Do research on the internet now and get an idea of prices. Park West stocks a lot of Peter Max, Itszak Tarkay, Krasnyansky, Linda Lecampf, Igor Medvedev, Fanch Ledan, Thomas Kinkade among others. The bottom line is Art is as valuable as you decide it is.

Good Luck

Mark

Am I missing something here?

Are these AUCTIONS or straight sales? If an auction, then the highest bidder wins and must purchase, no matter the assessed value, right?

If you decide you MUST have a certain piece and are willing to pay $200 for it, the bidding goes that high, and it's "worth" only $100, aren't you still obligated to purchase the piece due to the whole concept of "auction"?

Maybe I'm wrong here... but if you look at something, decide you want it, set a price and the price is accepted, aren't you bound to the sale regardless of what you might find next week on the streets of NY?

JHHK

These "Auctions" of art on board have very little bidding and always start with a minimum, which is usually what the piece sells for. The "Reserve" is set by the auctioneers and the final price does not include the 15-20% Auctioneers fees, plus shipping and insurance. They also have "Blind bid" where you bid sight unseen on a pieces minimum asking price and all bidders are awarded that piece at that price if you like it once you see it. If for some reason you do not, you can back out. That is the only time you can back out of a bid as far as I know. As I said before, these pieces are prints (Lithographs to be precise) which is why they can offer multiple sales of a single item. I have found the auctions on board fun and educational, but I buy very little and take the free art they offer you for sitting trough the process.

Hope this helps.

Archived