All my cruise quotes are the same?

I've been reading these boards and seen people say they get alot of different prices. I've called around, checked the internet, even called the cruise line directly, and all my prices are within a few dollars of each other. Am I doing something wrong?

Yo-

If that is 6/26/2005 or 2006 - you are going to find the pricing pretty much the same-this far in advance-however when you get closer they may go down or you will start to see group bookings crop up that have some very attractive pricing, etc-

I got a slue of emails this week from the online T/A's that I am subscribed to with some fantastic deals (one was the NCL "Wind" 10 days Hawaii cruise for $649 pp included all port charges, taxes, etc for an inside room and the outside was only like $100 more - sails in November 2004) Several months that same cruise was like $1100 for an inside w/all fees-

So it depends on the timing and the fill rate of the particular cruise....

Hope this helps-

Happy Cruisin'

Mike

Thanks Mike - that probably explains it.... it is the 6/26/05 cruise.

RCCL and Celebrity along w/ a few other lines are all now doing a price control of sorts. The thing to look for is the perk attached to your cabin price. If all cabin quotes are the same then find the one that offers you a cabin credit, a MC/VISA check card, some free shore excursions, etc, You can really find a variety of perks so happy shopping and enjoy that cruise!!!

• 3 months later...

01Sweetpea,

I too have been looking to book a room on the Valor 06/26 for my honeymoon and have found similar quotes (within $50 or so) on over 12 websites. Someone had mentioned perks at some online TA's. Anyone have any examples...

Steven

Prices can go up too. I am sailing in February and while the ship isn't sold out they have some inside and ousides (no balcony) that cost more than the mini-suite I booked last April.

It looks like they upgraded a lot of the inside / outside windows to balconies and opened up the "lower priced" rooms for those who haven't booked yet.

ISUCyHopper

Examples of perks would be "value added" things like Free Shore Excursions or a Visa or Mastercard Gift card or maybe cabin upgrades. The cruise lines have imposed strict guidlines on discounting cruises. So, the value added option maybe be the only real difference that you will find.

Carnival has also implemented the online pricing policy like RCL. Online TAs have to have the same pricing as Carnival website. Apparently you can call these agencys to find out if they can give you a lower price or incentive though.

Hope this helps!

Booked a cruise on the Jewel for 12/05 while on the Splendour and since we have been home we have checked 8 different internet tas and all but 1 have the exact same price. One wanted more(go figure), 1 was giving a bottle of wine each night on booking a higher cat. and 1 was giving a free excursiuon( without saying which excursion). So with Rccl we will book early with them, no ta and watch for a price drop on their site.

• 2 weeks later...

When you book directly through the Cruise company can you than transfer it to an independent travel agent to get a better deal? I tried Cruise Complete and so far they are giving me a quote approx. $200.00 less than what Carnival is charging me.

Of course, when I booked with Carnival it was during an upgrade sail so the price that the agent from Cruise Complete is quoting me is for a 4A and I am currently booked in a 4C. I am currenly paying the price of a 4A but getting a 4C.

• 4 weeks later...

I guess since RCCL started this new policy the travel web sites are giving you other benefits like gift cards from Amex, Mastercard, Target, etc. I noticed almost all the sites were offering something.

I also got the same exact quote from a ton of different websites, but decided to go with Travelocity as they had the best deal at the time. We got a $150 Target gift card for booking before a certain date, and by using a Mastercard we got an additional $50 Target gift card from them. So, indirectly $200 off (good thing we love Target.) Although you don't get the cards until 4-6 weeks after you cruise.

I wanted to book thru RCCL website, but they had the *worst* selection of rooms for some reason.

My name is John Pain and I'm a reporter with The Associated Press news agency. I saw these postings on cruise prices and I was wondering if anyone would be interested in talking to me for a story I'm doing. I'm trying to see what cruisers are noticing about ticket prices, because all the major cruise lines say their average prices are going up. I would need to put your real name in the story. Send me an e-mail if you're interested.

Thanks

John

Cruise prices are pretty much the same from agency to agency. RCCL, Celebrity and Carnival all have regulations on pricing. Agencies may not undersell cabins at lesser prices than the cruise lines or forfeit their commissions.

As a result of this price control by the cruise lines, what is happening is that everyone is offering "bonuses" for booking with their particular agency. It may be free travel insurance or a gift card valued at the price of the cruise (not received until after the cruise) or numerous other things.

It has now become very frustrating to book a cruise. Originally, you could go to a favorite website & get the price you were looking for and book the cruise. Now every price listed on the internet cruise agencies is the same. The only difference is the bonus they are offering. The smaller agencies are unable to compete with the bigger ones and consequently unable to offer any bonuses because they can't afford to do this. I did a lot of online searching for the Med cruise we booked for October. The results were all the same.

I have found an online agency that I like and I will stick with them for my future bookings, whether or not they offer any bonuses. They will offer me the service I am looking for and that is far more important to me.

In the end we booked directly thru Canival. I'm happy with our decision to book with the PVP. We booked this cruise in Sept, had to make changes in Oct (we are now on the 7/3 Miracle), and were even able to apply the Entertainment book discount $100/cabin in Nov.

I know many people insist they can do the best deal themselves but I am still a believer that if you find the right ta agency, they can serve you better.

First you have to look at the over all picture, not just pricing. Pricing is great but there is more to the value of a cruise than it's dollar amount. If it's not the cruise for you, you've wasted your money, no matter how little you've paid.

But since pricing is the major thing on everyone's minds, let's address this.

Yes, there has been some changes made in pricing, forcing people to have 'the same pricing' but even here there are loop holes.

The key to all of this is finding a good agency that does not charge a surchage and that is affiliated with 'consolidators', for lack of a better word, to allow group pricing on limited number of cabins in a variety of sails.

OK, listen again, a limited number of cabins in a variety of sails. That means, just like those $69 airline seats, the discount is not available across the board and there is not an endless supply at this rate.

When the pricing is released it's first come first serve and the better the deal the quicker they go.

It pays to be hooked up with an agency that can act as your eyes and ears and let you benefit from the savings, holding a fab deal for you before the mass majority gets wind of it. Many of these group deals also offer other perks such as on board credit, cruise line beach towel, a bottle of wine, right down to 2/1 airfare, etc.

Agencies get hundreds of specials weekly, before they're released to the public plus last minute, 'happy hour' sales.

Overall, a limited amount of rooms are released to the public for purchase over a period of time. Ta's usually have access to more than the general public can see. If you're chosing solely on pricing you might just end up with that cabin right by the anchor but your ta should do you better than that as they should know better than that.

They can also keep an eye out for upcoming sales and let you know that for the same price or a small fee you can upgrade. They will also adjust the price down should the cabin fare fall. I don't see expedia, yahoo or orbitz doing this.

They're there to answer your concerns, make your dreams a reality and hold your hand and be there when something goes wrong.

If you let them know ahead of time what your booking wishes are, when the cruises hit the boards, they can get you a choice room, an early bird special rate, plus you'll have over a year to pay it off.

You're best bet is always the same. Be the best educated consumer you can be, which is what I hope was one of the driving throughts in in creating these boards.

Search for the right TA. It really can be not only helpful, but a pleasant experience and you'll save money to cruise another day!

My name is John Pain and I'm a reporter with The Associated Press news agency. I saw these postings on cruise prices and I was wondering if anyone would be interested in talking to me for a story I'm doing. I'm trying to see what cruisers are noticing about ticket prices, because all the major cruise lines say their average prices are going up. I would need to put your real name in the story. Send me an e-mail if you're interested.

Thanks

John

Wanted to respond but you didn't provide an e-mail address.

I traveled with my family of four last August on the RCCL Navigator of the Seas. We were looking to book the same cruise, same ship for the same week this coming summer (the hurricane last year knocked is off our itinerary) and the prices for the same cabin are 50% higher than what we paid last year. That's 50%. At that rate, although I like cruising, I suddenly do not feel like I'm getting value for my vacation dollar and will go back to picking a fixed vacation spot. RCCL you are losing a customer.

Richard

mwafb@yahoo.com

I am paying more for this year's cabin as well, same cabin same cruise, less the hurricane and with luck the planned itinerary. But no where near 50% more, (as in you paid $2000 last year and this year it's $3000??). I paid $1400 last year and this year it's $1700 but then gas prices aren't what they use to be either. And sadly traveling in August can still be quite pricy, especially if you're traveling with a family.

Looking at 06 pricing, they continue to escalate, however, i still think think the value for the dollar is excellent. No driving, one time unpacking, we were waited on hand and foot, no cooking, no dishes, enough food to feed a third world country. Built in baby sitters, kids programs so mom and dad can actually sit and relax on the deck or enjoy a dinner alone....Various activities, some wonderful, some ok, some ... eh!! But that's what makes the world go round.

Timing is everything. One cruise can sell for $850 pp in October and that same cabin cost $1350pp in July or August. There are always early bird booking specials, discount coupons through crown and anchor and where else can you put your vacation on layaway and pay it off without being levied any processing fees or penalties if you cancel by the drop date??

There is so much more to travel value to pricing alone.

And john if you'd like to contact me feel free. Tinsel57@hotmail.com

That's a rosy picture you paint, and I sincerely appreciate that. Nevertheless, my D1 category cabin cost us Slightly below $3100 last year (for four persons) and was consistently quoted slightly over $4600 this year. The DIFFERENCE being the ENTIRE price of your cruise. Still think its a good deal? And that $50 or $100 cabin coupon fron Crown & Anchor will not alleviate my feelings of dismay at what RCCL is doing.

I am paying more for this year's cabin as well, same cabin same cruise, less the hurricane and with luck the planned itinerary. But no where near 50% more, (as in you paid $2000 last year and this year it's $3000??). I paid $1400 last year and this year it's $1700 but then gas prices aren't what they use to be either. And sadly traveling in August can still be quite pricy, especially if you're traveling with a family.

Looking at 06 pricing, they continue to escalate, however, i still think think the value for the dollar is excellent. No driving, one time unpacking, we were waited on hand and foot, no cooking, no dishes, enough food to feed a third world country. Built in baby sitters, kids programs so mom and dad can actually sit and relax on the deck or enjoy a dinner alone....Various activities, some wonderful, some ok, some ... eh!! But that's what makes the world go round.

Timing is everything. One cruise can sell for $850 pp in October and that same cabin cost $1350pp in July or August. There are always early bird booking specials, discount coupons through crown and anchor and where else can you put your vacation on layaway and pay it off without being levied any processing fees or penalties if you cancel by the drop date??

There is so much more to travel value to pricing alone.

And john if you'd like to contact me feel free. Tinsel57@hotmail.com

I am not sure I am a painter, but I am just trying to understand your position and present other points of view from experience!

I also don't know your booking details so it's really hard to give a factual answer. If you are looking to book this summer now, it may or may have an effect on the pricing. Right now you can book through summer of 06 and the cabin choices are plentiful with pricing that is only sure to roller coaster as time goes on. The advantage of booking early usually is early bird pricing with a cabin you choose and your fare can be adjusted down if the rate goes down. And if something all together comes up you can cancel with no or small penalty, depending on your agent.

Pricing comes in all sorts of packages, as well as cabin prices can fluctuate several times a day. There are sales and groups and specials and it may be that last year's price was at a great discount, I have no way of knowing and frankly a lot of times the consumer doesn't know either.

Do I think it's a big jump from $775 p/p to $1115, you bet I do, I can see that you'd be upset having to pay $375 more for what you see as the same vacation.

But is this really different than pricing in many other arena's? Take airline seats, not even considering you flew the same day last year to the same place, let's just talk about a current flight and although it's the same plane the same seat the same arrival and departure site, the pricing varies within each classification. They may advertise a $69 fare and have 20 seats at that price and when they're sold, the fare jumps to $119.

What about buying a car? IF you preorder that new 06 sport car before it hits the dealer you pay full price, but if you wait until Jan of 07 if the car is still on the lot you'll see a huge price variance.

Even puchasing a 12 pack of coke at the grocery store. Sale and coupon you've got it just before the holidays at $2.oo but come Feb, that same 12 pack is $3.49.

I don't know if I am reading you right but I feel what you're saying is that with such a price increase you feel you're being treated unfairly, that the cruise line is performing poor customer service by raising their prices so drastically.

But let me ask you this, did you enjoy yourself, did your kids have a good time? How much did you actually value the experience?

Last year it cost you $110 and change per person per day. This year, that same cruise is $157, $47 more per day per person. What can you comparitively get for that and does it suit your needs and is it of more than just pocket book value for the price?

You could change dates and save, you could get a different cabin, go as a guarantee cabin and save, you can look for a group booking and save or you could chose to do something all together different.

Or if you're like some families and that's the only date you can take for vacation, you're locked into a certain set of restrictions and pricing is pricing. So than maybe this isn't an option for you this year and maybe you need to take a shorter cruise or a different vacation type. That's the great part about our lives, we are lucky enough to be able to make choices.

I am sorry that you're upset about the pricing, I think you must have enjoyed the cruise or you wouldn't be so upset over it. Sadly, price variations are a fact of life. Better pricing is obtained through consumer knowledge, research, flexibility and understanding.

I do hope you can find something that will meet all your needs and put a smile on your face too.

Archived