Half Moon Cay Question

outerbks

You will love Half Moon Cay. I do suggest you book a excursion, that or be waiting at the doors to the main show louge so you can get tender tickets that will get you to the island ASAP. Even though you get there and start getting to the island at 9am, if you have tender sticker 20 you'll liely not get there until after 10am or worse if you have a number close to 30!!!! I was heading for my 11am excursion when tender stickers in the 20's were still arriving!

The island is supposed to be uninhabited, but someone has to be a caretaker and look after the horses and such. There is out buildings that you can see, so a few people do stay there for maintenance. Well, I think that is how it is because I did see several out buildings on the other side of the island that could be homes.

They do take S&S in the shop, but the straw vendors take cash. The store is on the small side, but it has the usual tacky gifts/shirts!!!! There is a post office to!

This is the one place that I would recommend no excursion. It is the nicest beach I have ever seen. Sand is like baby powder.

For a neat experience, take some bread or crackers into the water. Then watch the tropical fish come up and eat out of your hand. Awesome!!

Don't worry. It will all be in your Capers. You get them in the lounge the morning you arrive.

I, too, wouldn't book anything. We did their stingray excursion on our first trip and it was very disappointing. Unlike the other stingray excursions I've been on, this one is in a tiny, enclosed area with steps leading down. You are forced to stop and get the stupid photo. Then, if you don't intend to snorkel the entire time (I'm not much of a swimmer or snorkeler), you're shoved over to the side and told to stay there.

They spent a few minutes feeding the stingrays, but, again, they were using it as a photo op. So, basically, I paid for the excursion and spent about 5 minutes snorkeling and never actually got to feed or pet the stingrays.

Anyway, yes, it the THE best beach I've ever seen. Of course, I still have a few to see, but it is fantastic.

Word of advice - if you want to rent a clamshell, don't bother going to the building closest to the pier. Head on down the beach (turn right when facing the water) and walk down to the other building.

We stood in line for 15 minutes before finding out that all the clamshells at the upper end of the beach were sold out. So we hiked down to the other building and waited in line for another 15 mintues.

Oh well. Once we finally got set up it was glorious. We were closer to the buffet down at that end, too, and away from the bar, music and party crowd.

The have a little straw market at which some locals sell handicrafts. These are not affiliated with the ship so they only take cash. The island is uninhabited so I guess these people boat in each day.

You can use S&S card for drinks, etc.

Wow... that is interesting. I had no idea that "locals" (I guess who aren't really locals) would make such a trip ...

Archived