Trivia prizes

Cathy-CA

I remember reading a comment a few weeks ago about the trivia prizes not being as good as they once were. My husband and I just returned from a 10-day Mexican Riviera cruise on the Zaandam and I'm happy to report this was not our experience. The first few games had the standard mugs, but as the time progressed, the cruise director made a point of having something different. We had umbrellas, t-shirts, hats, water bottles, and travel bags for the games later in the cruise. The prizes seemed to be the same merchandise you could buy at the end with Dam dollars.

We won so many games of trivia on the last cruise on the Ryndam that they ran out of prizes and went out and purchased throw away underwater cameras and gave those out. We also received beautiful silver picture frames with the HAL logo, of course. Along with the above mentioned prizes.

I've gotten so many different things in the last 5 years:

HAL umbrellas

calculator/clocks

luggage straps

luggage tags

key chains

mugs (two trips on the Amsterdam and two on the Oosterdam and I can spell VA VA VOOM with a few extra letters I can't use in that phrase)

lanyards

silver frames

hats

Dam dollars (when they ran out of prizes)

I've been on Carnival twice--never again--and they give out plastic silver ships on a stick or a ribbon. Ick. Again, ick.

Diane

Kakalina - I want to be on your team:)

Anytime, I love my trivia. I even found this cool website where I can practice everyday. I am a "spermologist". You will need an OED to figure that one out, it was a trivia question on board a few years ago.

Hi Trish!

You would be proud of me....just got back today from the Veendam (where I 1st met you in '05). They had a cumulative trivia contest--added 13 days together. My team won! We got a silver photo frame.

Some of the prizes were pretty "poor" in my opinion. Lots of key chains and even those paper works of art from the auction were given 3-4 times.

Not many games at all on this 14 day cruise. Kinda disappointing!

Deb C.

On our recent Noordam cruise, our team won the cumulative trivia on 4 out of the 5 days, also winning the cumulative prize. Days 1 and 2, the prizes were keychains; Day 3 was the floppy hat (LOVED these for shore excursions, kept the sun off our ears and faces), Day 4 we lost (dunno what prize was offered), and Day 5 was another floppy hat. The cumulative prize was the beach towel, plus Dam Dollars each game for everyone who participates.

We didn't play on port days, but we heard the prize one day was mugs... we were just tickeld to win ANYTHING, but we were especially pleased with the hats and beach towels. Gotta love free stuff!! :)

Hi Trish!

You would be proud of me....just got back today from the Veendam (where I 1st met you in '05). They had a cumulative trivia contest--added 13 days together. My team won! We got a silver photo frame.

Some of the prizes were pretty "poor" in my opinion. Lots of key chains and even those paper works of art from the auction were given 3-4 times.

Not many games at all on this 14 day cruise. Kinda disappointing!

Deb C.

Hi Deb! Great to hear from you. Sounds as if they have made some changes on the Veendam although how they play is ususally up to the CD. Cumulative huh? I think I might like that. Hope we sail together again some day, we can kick butt in trivia!! :D

Anytime, I love my trivia. I even found this cool website where I can practice everyday. I am a "spermologist". You will need an OED to figure that one out, it was a trivia question on board a few years ago.

Kakalina,

That was a trivia question in the original Trivial Pursuit game back in the 80's. My aunt and I call ourselves "spermologists" all the time....but I never met anyone else who referred to themselves that way until you :)

Kakalina,

That was a trivia question in the original Trivial Pursuit game back in the 80's. My aunt and I call ourselves "spermologists" all the time....but I never met anyone else who referred to themselves that way until you :)

Our team name last cruise was "The Dam Spermologists":eek: :D

On our Noordam cruise, the daily cumulative prizes seemed to be either a key chain or luggage tag. We won two days, tied and lost the tie breaker twice, and won overall. Prize was a nice rolling travel bag. Everyone also got a dam dollar for playing each game.

Archived