Audio Books

LynnAB

Still can't believe you did a back to back on the Dream

We did and we loved it. We were lucky enough to have two Cruise Directors, Jeff who was assigned to the Dream and John Heald who filled in for him when he went on vacation, they were both great. We met a lot of nice people many with whom we will cruise again. Two of the best things and if you ever cruise on the Dream I highly recommend them. The first is the Behind the Scenes tour, you get to see parts of the ship that not even all of the crew get to see. The other is the Chef's dinner, it is amazing and well worth the cost, you actually eat in the galley.

Now we are planning a Cruise on the Spirit for next Feb. and a lot of the MonkeyHeads have decided to join us. Don't know when we might do another back to back, we've pretty much decided that if we are going to fly to another state for the cruise we would like to spend a little time seeing the area either before or after the cruise. With Bill's work schedule it is hard to take more than two weeks at a time so that means one week to be tourist and one week to be cruisers.

We did and we loved it. We were lucky enough to have two Cruise Directors, Jeff who was assigned to the Dream and John Heald who filled in for him when he went on vacation, they were both great. We met a lot of nice people many with whom we will cruise again. Two of the best things and if you ever cruise on the Dream I highly recommend them. The first is the Behind the Scenes tour, you get to see parts of the ship that not even all of the crew get to see. The other is the Chef's dinner, it is amazing and well worth the cost, you actually eat in the galley.

Now we are planning a Cruise on the Spirit for next Feb. and a lot of the MonkeyHeads have decided to join us. Don't know when we might do another back to back, we've pretty much decided that if we are going to fly to another state for the cruise we would like to spend a little time seeing the area either before or after the cruise. With Bill's work schedule it is hard to take more than two weeks at a time so that means one week to be tourist and one week to be cruisers.

How many of the Monkey Heads cruise with you as a group?

OK, have a new author and audio book for everyone to consider. The author is Philipp Meyer and the book is American Rust. Very good listen, he is kind of like a Cormac McCarthy or John Steinbeck kind of writer (maybe I set the bar to high, but that is who i put his style like).

Jim

OK, have a new author and audio book for everyone to consider. The author is Philipp Meyer and the book is American Rust. Very good listen, he is kind of like a Cormac McCarthy or John Steinbeck kind of writer (maybe I set the bar to high, but that is who i put his style like).

Jim

Thanks, Jim. I'll check him out. I haven't read any of his books, so that's exciting.

Thanks, Jim. I'll check him out. I haven't read any of his books, so that's exciting.

According to the jacket (or cover as in the case with a CD book) it is his first book. Kind of written from 6 different people's perspective over an eventful time. Only part I was not to keen on is it is written referencing the recession in the south east and mid-west and mill closings etc. A little depressing.

According to the jacket (or cover as in the case with a CD book) it is his first book. Kind of written from 6 different people's perspective over an eventful time. Only part I was not to keen on is it is written referencing the recession in the south east and mid-west and mill closings etc. A little depressing.

I'll wait or a further review from you then. You know I like uplifting stories <g> ... at least a HEA (Happily Ever After). Okay, so that's NOT reality, but I get reality on an everyday basis.

I'll wait or a further review from you then. You know I like uplifting stories <g> ... at least a HEA (Happily Ever After). Okay, so that's NOT reality, but I get reality on an everyday basis.
Like most of the works of Cormac McCarthy that I compare him to, the ending would not make you all warm and happy inside. Not a nightmare....but certainly not riding off into the sunset.

Like most of the works of Cormac McCarthy that I compare him to, the ending would not make you all warm and happy inside. Not a nightmare....but certainly not riding off into the sunset.

If they're not a "nightmare," I'd probably like them. I can't read Stephen King and those types of authors.

If they're not a "nightmare," I'd probably like them. I can't read Stephen King and those types of authors.

It's not a nightmare and def. not Stephen King'esh style of doom and gloom. There is a murder and it revolves around the people that semi-involved with it. Good listen.

It's not a nightmare and def. not Stephen King'esh style of doom and gloom. There is a murder and it revolves around the people that semi-involved with it. Good listen.

Sounds good, actually. I'll put it on my ever-growing TBR list.

Sounds good, actually. I'll put it on my ever-growing TBR list.

I know what you mean....mine is approaching 60 books :eek: See you scheduled a cruise on the Majesty in celebration of the anniversary....good deal!

I know what you mean....mine is approaching 60 books :eek: See you scheduled a cruise on the Majesty in celebration of the anniversary....good deal!

Yes, we did. I am so not a small ship person. Actually, Majesty is one ship we have never even sailed on. The thing is that we sailed on Oasis in May and are hoping for another week's cruise towards the end of the year. Majesty sails on our anniversary in November and does a 3-night cruise. That would be a perfect quick getaway that we do without using up vacation time.

We have several friends who love Majesty. I'll have to let you know. I like big, big ships and lots of excitement. I'm a kid at heart <g>. This will be nice, though, since our honeymoon cruise 27 years ago was on Song of America.

Yes, we did. I am so not a small ship person. Actually, Majesty is one ship we have never even sailed on. The thing is that we sailed on Oasis in May and are hoping for another week's cruise towards the end of the year. Majesty sails on our anniversary in November and does a 3-night cruise. That would be a perfect quick getaway that we do without using up vacation time.

We have several friends who love Majesty. I'll have to let you know. I like big, big ships and lots of excitement. I'm a kid at heart <g>. This will be nice, though, since our honeymoon cruise 27 years ago was on Song of America.

Majesty is the one RCCL ship I have sailed on... It is small but they recently added a whole center section during a dry dock. Anything would be small compared to Oasis...

Majesty is the one RCCL ship I have sailed on... It is small but they recently added a whole center section during a dry dock. Anything would be small compared to Oasis...

Is it as big as Oasis's lifeboats? I'm wondering. Oasis is HUGE.

Is it as big as Oasis's lifeboats? I'm wondering. Oasis is HUGE.

That is a good one.....You are going from Royal's largest ship to their smallest (class wise anyway). All that being said, I am sure you will have a wonderful time. When we went on the Imagination last year for a 3 day (much smaller ship...less of a difference than you have, but still the same idea), we had a blast. Sure you will have a great time!

That is a good one.....You are going from Royal's largest ship to their smallest (class wise anyway). All that being said, I am sure you will have a wonderful time. When we went on the Imagination last year for a 3 day (much smaller ship...less of a difference than you have, but still the same idea), we had a blast. Sure you will have a great time!

I think it will be fun, too. We're going to enjoy our anniversary and the ocean. We'll save Oasis for "getting out there" and going nonstop.

I think it will be fun, too. We're going to enjoy our anniversary and the ocean. We'll save Oasis for "getting out there" and going nonstop.

I am so in cruise wanting denial.....can't wait till August! A year between cruises is way to long.

I am so in cruise wanting denial.....can't wait till August! A year between cruises is way to long.

I know!

Just in case you haven't seen it, this is a very well done review on Carnival Dream. I had such a good time living vicariously through this group's cruise, including ports I haven't been to. Check it out, and let me know what you think.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1216856&highlight=carnival+dream

I know!

Just in case you haven't seen it, this is a very well done review on Carnival Dream. I had such a good time living vicariously through this group's cruise, including ports I haven't been to. Check it out, and let me know what you think.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1216856&highlight=carnival+dream

LOL, I have read it. Thanks for bringing it to my attention, though. The Dream had a little rocky start in terms of some of the reviews posted here, but it has settled down. This Itin is the same one we are going on (think it is the 10th time I will cruise and stop in Cozumel!).

Couple of interesting things about this review. First, how do two older guys (relatively speaking...they are much younger than I ...sigh!) get to travel with 4 younger girls....(where was all of this when I was single!). Second, they took some nice pics. Pretty good review. The Carnival main blog is pretty large and has some really good reviewers (actually story tellers). I finally posted an abbreviated (first time review) from our Splendor cruise last August...kind of felt I owed it to the community, but it was a far cry from some of these:eek:

I can only assume they do the same thing in the main Royal blog area (I think they have a separate one for Oasis if I am not mistaken). You would be a great review writer. Have you done one for your Oasis cruise?

Jim

LOL, I have read it. Thanks for bringing it to my attention, though. The Dream had a little rocky start in terms of some of the reviews posted here, but it has settled down. This Itin is the same one we are going on (think it is the 10th time I will cruise and stop in Cozumel!).

Couple of interesting things about this review. First, how do two older guys (relatively speaking...they are much younger than I ...sigh!) get to travel with 4 younger girls....(where was all of this when I was single!). Second, they took some nice pics. Pretty good review. The Carnival main blog is pretty large and has some really good reviewers (actually story tellers). I finally posted an abbreviated (first time review) from our Splendor cruise last August...kind of felt I owed it to the community, but it was a far cry from some of these:eek:

I can only assume they do the same thing in the main Royal blog area (I think they have a separate one for Oasis if I am not mistaken). You would be a great review writer. Have you done one for your Oasis cruise?

Jim

I was wondering the same thing <lol>. They "work together," one of the post reported. That being said, HMMMMMM. I believe the 26-year-old woman and the 42-year-old man are a couple. Just my guess or figuring it from something I read.

Anyway, you can live vicariously <g>.

No, I've never done a review. Maybe I should for Oasis? Have to think about it. That you for the vote of confidence.

Off to work ... TONS of transcription to do this weekend.

I was wondering the same thing <lol>. They "work together," one of the post reported. That being said, HMMMMMM. I believe the 26-year-old woman and the 42-year-old man are a couple. Just my guess or figuring it from something I read.

Anyway, you can live vicariously <g>.

No, I've never done a review. Maybe I should for Oasis? Have to think about it. That you for the vote of confidence.

Off to work ... TONS of transcription to do this weekend.

Just got back from a long weekend down in your neck of the woods (Ft Myers). I say do the review, the ship is so new, everyone would love to see it.

• 2 weeks later...
Hi, Ronnie,

That's okay. Jump in anytime!!!

I have been thinking about an iPod iTouch because it sounds really neat, BUT I haven't actually tried one. I have a few questions <g>.

Do you also read books on your iTouch, or just listen to audiobooks? If you READ them, too, is it hard to read on the small screen? I guess I should say -- is it too hard to read, or do you find it okay?

Do you convert movies? I have DVDs and .avi files that I would love to watch. Is it possible? Or do you have to buy all the movies?

I'd really appreciate if you could give me any direction about software so I could put my own movies and books on the iTouch.

Thank you sooooooooooooooooo much,

Lynn

Since you have .avi files you must use the n g's. I don't want to say too much about them. Let the man go after p to p people and leave us alone. I use Xnews for my reader ( free ), PSP Video 9 ( Free ) to convert from .avi to drag and drop onto my Touch. .avi movies are small enough once converted to put on a Touch. Never tried DVD's. I don't have that much space. If you download audio books you need to convert from MP3 to M4B. Use a program "MP3 to IPod Audio Book Converter " . Just Google as it's free. I will list my favorite books tomorrow.

RonnieD

Since you have .avi files you must use the n g's. I don't want to say too much about them. Let the man go after p to p people and leave us alone. I use Xnews for my reader ( free ), PSP Video 9 ( Free ) to convert from .avi to drag and drop onto my Touch. .avi movies are small enough once converted to put on a Touch. Never tried DVD's. I don't have that much space. If you download audio books you need to convert from MP3 to M4B. Use a program "MP3 to IPod Audio Book Converter " . Just Google as it's free. I will list my favorite books tomorrow.

RonnieD

Hi, Ronnie,

Actually, a while back I converted a few of my DVD's (of which I have a huge collection of romantic comedies) to .avi so I could watch them on a Cowon that I have. It turned out to be useless because the screen is too small for me to enjoy a movie on. Therefore, I'd like to get something bigger and watch my own movies. I have so many movies already, and it would be great to carry them around with me.

So it sounds like the iPod Touch is more finnicky as to formats. Is that correct? My Cowon takes .avi and .mp3, which is pretty standard, I believe. If only the screen were bigger. Sigh!

I'll check back for your book recommendations. Thanks!

Lynn

Hi, Ronnie,

Actually, a while back I converted a few of my DVD's (of which I have a huge collection of romantic comedies) to .avi so I could watch them on a Cowon that I have. It turned out to be useless because the screen is too small for me to enjoy a movie on. Therefore, I'd like to get something bigger and watch my own movies. I have so many movies already, and it would be great to carry them around with me.

So it sounds like the iPod Touch is more finnicky as to formats. Is that correct? My Cowon takes .avi and .mp3, which is pretty standard, I believe. If only the screen were bigger. Sigh!

I'll check back for your book recommendations. Thanks!

Lynn

The ITouch screen is way too small to watch movies. I do it because some people like to watch in the dental or doctor offices. Also I did it to make sure I knew how to do it. It's fun to use all of the technology I can. So you do not use news groups for your .avi's.? ? What program did you use to convert the dvd's over ? By the way, any Philips DVD player will play the .avi files and let you watch on your home t v. Same goes with portable players. That's what I use going to Vegas or PR. You can buy most for under $50.00 at Target or Walmart.