Audio Books

LynnAB

OMG! You know I'll cry!!! Dogs (our two poodles in particular) are my passion. In 2001 we went through "that" with our 10-year-old poodle at the time and we were ALL devastated. Now we have two poodles coming up on 10 years. Sigh!

I keep wondering about Jonathan Franzen but have never read his books. Okay. They're officially on my list now. Isn't he the one who had made up stuff in his book but had claimed it was true? Am I thinking of the correct author who was on Oprah?

Boy, you are good. Yes and no.... LOL This novel was in 2001 and there was controversy tied to Oprah. He was very dis-satisfied with her choosing this novel (don't know why). The one I think you are alluding to was James Frey's A Million Little Pieces supposedly about his drug addiction (fact based) and she had him on the show and then again when it turned out to be made up.

Regarding our dog...yes it is heart breaking and one of the toughest things we had to do (cried like a baby). The first chapter of this book is similar...told thru the dog's perspective, which in and of itself is hard...but somewhat re-assuring......don't want to ruin the read for you.

Boy, you are good. Yes and no.... LOL This novel was in 2001 and there was controversy tied to Oprah. He was very dis-satisfied with her choosing this novel (don't know why). The one I think you are alluding to was James Frey's A Million Little Pieces supposedly about his drug addiction (fact based) and she had him on the show and then again when it turned out to be made up.

Regarding our dog...yes it is heart breaking and one of the toughest things we had to do (cried like a baby). The first chapter of this book is similar...told thru the dog's perspective, which in and of itself is hard...but somewhat re-assuring......don't want to ruin the read for you.

I'm not that good <g>. I was thinking of the wrong author!!! You're right!!! It's James Frey I'm thinking about. THAT kept me avoiding Jonathan Franzen's books. How sad. Oh, well. They have the same initials, right?

I finished Hotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet last night. I consider it a "must read," although there are some sad moments. I started The Art of Racing in the Rain and was disturbed by the first chapter. You're right again. That was sooooooooooo sad already and setting me up for future heartbreak. I wasn't going to read the book. Then again, I get that way late at night. This morning I got back into the book and am going to LOVE it even though I'm going to hate the ending, right? Anyway, I'm enjoying it immensely.

I understand the "crying like a baby." We all did here and will again. My husband was sooooo upset last time that he didn't want to get another dog. We did, of course, because of all the wonderful years of love.

Did you get another dog? Actually, we got two for the first time in our lives.

I'm not that good <g>. I was thinking of the wrong author!!! You're right!!! It's James Frey I'm thinking about. THAT kept me avoiding Jonathan Franzen's books. How sad. Oh, well. They have the same initials, right?

I finished Hotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet last night. I consider it a "must read," although there are some sad moments. I started The Art of Racing in the Rain and was disturbed by the first chapter. You're right again. That was sooooooooooo sad already and setting me up for future heartbreak. I wasn't going to read the book. Then again, I get that way late at night. This morning I got back into the book and am going to LOVE it even though I'm going to hate the ending, right? Anyway, I'm enjoying it immensely.

I understand the "crying like a baby." We all did here and will again. My husband was sooooo upset last time that he didn't want to get another dog. We did, of course, because of all the wonderful years of love.

Not yet. I was the hold out on putting her down. That is what made that first chapter even harder.:( I think my wife is ready....but not me yet. Working on it....

Must read!!! Moved up a lot on my list now. The big to do between Franzen and Oprah ran on for a couple of years... Did not stop her from adding his book Freedom to her list in 2010 though.

Not yet. I was the hold out on putting her down. That is what made that first chapter even harder.:( I think my wife is ready....but not me yet. Working on it....

I can understand 100%, Jim. We ended up getting two poodle babies (six months apart, actually) to help our son...but it ended up helping ME a whole lot, too. These two puppies, Candee and Taffy, have added so much love to our home again. The little one, Candee, is truly MY little girl, though. She is glued to me all the time and even has to sleep right next to me. I did a bad, bad thing. I am way tooooooooooo emotionally attached AGAIN.

I can understand 100%, Jim. We ended up getting two poodle babies (six months apart, actually) to help our son...but it ended up helping ME a whole lot, too. These two puppies, Candee and Taffy, have added so much love to our home again. The little one, Candee, is truly MY little girl, though. She is glued to me all the time and even has to sleep right next to me. I did a bad, bad thing. I am way tooooooooooo emotionally attached AGAIN.

Can understand that. There is something to be said for unconditional love though!!!!;)

Hi guys, I know long time no hear from. I just picked up The Art Of Racing In The Rain at the library yesterday should be on my ipod by the end of the day. LOL You know I'll cry also, our oldest beagle is getting up there and has started to slow down some, she just can't keep up with the pups the way she used to.

Spencer Quinn has a mystery series that is also written from the dogs point of view, the Chet and Bernie mysteries. So far he has written only three books, Dog On It, Thereby Hangs a Tail and his latest To Fetch a Thief, which I also picked up at the library yesterday. I may save that to listen to on our cruise next month.

Can understand that. There is something to be said for unconditional love though!!!!;)

Actually, "unconditional love" is one of my FAVORITE expressions about our "babies." It's soooooo amazing to be loved so completely. I see the way Taffy (our miniature poodle) looks at my husband. I tell him if I EVER find out she is a reincarnated girlfriend, he's dead <g>. She adores him <lol>.

Seriously, I got to the point where I feel it's better to have the unconditional love of these puppies as long as we can rather than to not have it at all. Of course, I say that NOW. I'll be destroyed...

Hi guys, I know long time no hear from. I just picked up The Art Of Racing In The Rain at the library yesterday should be on my ipod by the end of the day. LOL You know I'll cry also, our oldest beagle is getting up there and has started to slow down some, she just can't keep up with the pups the way she used to.

Spencer Quinn has a mystery series that is also written from the dogs point of view, the Chet and Bernie mysteries. So far he has written only three books, Dog On It, Thereby Hangs a Tail and his latest To Fetch a Thief, which I also picked up at the library yesterday. I may save that to listen to on our cruise next month.

HEY!!!! :DGlad to hear from you. Love the titles of the Spencer Quinn books. Let us know your thoughts on it after you are done. Which cruise are you going on?

Actually, "unconditional love" is one of my FAVORITE expressions about our "babies." It's soooooo amazing to be loved so completely. I see the way Taffy (our miniature poodle) looks at my husband. I tell him if I EVER find out she is a reincarnated girlfriend, he's dead <g>. She adores him <lol>.

Seriously, I got to the point where I feel it's better to have the unconditional love of these puppies as long as we can rather than to not have it at all. Of course, I say that NOW. I'll be destroyed...

I know, I know....BUT I still long for the that tail wag and dog smile that I got each and every time I walked through the door!:)

I'm soooooo happy to see you here again!!! That's amazing that we're all kind of "into" The Art of Racing in the Rain at the same time. I know I'm going to be crying, but I'm absolutely loving this book from the dog's point of view...so far <g>.

I'll check out those Spencer Quinn books. Thanks for mentioning them. I've never heard of them and want to read more books from the dog's point of view.

I know, I know....BUT I still long for the that tail wag and dog smile that I got each and every time I walked through the door!:)

There's that unconditional love thing again. I'm sooooo needy.

Okay. I couldn't stand it. I went to my library (since today is my day off) and picked up the first two Spencer Quinn audiobooks. I have to order the third one to be transferred to my library. They look great. Thank you for mentioning them!!!

Now I have to get these on MY iPod Touch, which my son gave me for Christmas. I'm in love with my iPod Touch, by the way.

Since you mentioned an iPod, do you use the Bookmark app? It was the first (and one of few) app that I bought. It's sooooo worth it unless you have an alternative I don't know about.

Edited by LynnAB

Okay. I couldn't stand it. I went to my library (since today is my day off) and picked up the first two Spencer Quinn audiobooks. I have to order the third one to be transferred to my library. They look great. Thank you for mentioning them!!!

Now I have to get these on MY iPod Touch, which my son gave me for Christmas. I'm in love with my iPod Touch, by the way.

Since you mentioned an iPod, do you use the Bookmark app? It was the first (and one of few) app that I bought. It's sooooo worth it unless you have an alternative I don't know about.

I think you will enjoy the books, I did. I know this sounds silly but to my mind the "voice" of the character is that of a big dog. I have had both big and little dogs and this feels more like a big dog. When I read the first one it reminded me so much of a dog one of our neighbors had, which helped the enjoyment.

I have a fifth generation iPod nano, which only has books on it, if I want music I use my husbands nano ;). I didn't know they had a bookmark app. and I don't know if it would work on my ipod. Since I listen to only one book at a time (although I maybe reading to others at the same time) I don't have too much trouble loosing my place. Although I do try to check which disc and track I am on before I turn it off. I'll have to check with itunes and see if the app will work with my nano, thanks for the heads up.

I think you will enjoy the books, I did. I know this sounds silly but to my mind the "voice" of the character is that of a big dog. I have had both big and little dogs and this feels more like a big dog. When I read the first one it reminded me so much of a dog one of our neighbors had, which helped the enjoyment.

I have a fifth generation iPod nano, which only has books on it, if I want music I use my husbands nano ;). I didn't know they had a bookmark app. and I don't know if it would work on my ipod. Since I listen to only one book at a time (although I maybe reading to others at the same time) I don't have too much trouble loosing my place. Although I do try to check which disc and track I am on before I turn it off. I'll have to check with itunes and see if the app will work with my nano, thanks for the heads up.

Oh, I hope you can use the Bookmark app. It's really great.

I'm sad. I put the first book on my iPod last night, but the second book, Thereby Hangs a Tail, has a problem with one of the CDs. Sigh. Oh, well. At least I can start with the first book today while I'm driving to work. That's a great thing.

Oh, I hope you can use the Bookmark app. It's really great.

I'm sad. I put the first book on my iPod last night, but the second book, Thereby Hangs a Tail, has a problem with one of the CDs. Sigh. Oh, well. At least I can start with the first book today while I'm driving to work. That's a great thing.

You move them from CD to your Ipod?

I use Windows Media Player to put the CDs on my hard drive. They are stored as mp3s that way. Is that what you mean?

Not sure what I mean:D So, if you use WMP to copy them to your hard drive you can them move them to your Ipod?

Not sure what I mean:D So, if you use WMP to copy them to your hard drive you can them move them to your Ipod?

Yes, Jim. I believe that's what Karen (GlassBeagles) does, too. You can add files through the iTunes software. At least that's what I do with my iPod Touch.

Yes, Jim. I believe that's what Karen (GlassBeagles) does, too. You can add files through the iTunes software. At least that's what I do with my iPod Touch.

hmmmm Have to try that. Would make it much easier. Thought I tried that some time ago. Have to look at it again.

hmmmm Have to try that. Would make it much easier. Thought I tried that some time ago. Have to look at it again.

Jim,

I just emailed some info to you. Please let me know if you get it.

Lynn