Audio Books

LynnAB

Hi, Ronnie,

Actually, a while back I converted a few of my DVD's (of which I have a huge collection of romantic comedies) to .avi so I could watch them on a Cowon that I have. It turned out to be useless because the screen is too small for me to enjoy a movie on. Therefore, I'd like to get something bigger and watch my own movies. I have so many movies already, and it would be great to carry them around with me.

So it sounds like the iPod Touch is more finnicky as to formats. Is that correct? My Cowon takes .avi and .mp3, which is pretty standard, I believe. If only the screen were bigger. Sigh!

I'll check back for your book recommendations. Thanks!

Lynn

Hi Lynn,

Told you I lurk;) sound like what you need is the iPad it is much bigger than the iPad Touch but does pretty much the same things. I've taken a look a them and would love one but DH doesn't feel I need any more technology.:rolleyes:

The ITouch screen is way too small to watch movies. I do it because some people like to watch in the dental or doctor offices. Also I did it to make sure I knew how to do it. It's fun to use all of the technology I can. So you do not use news groups for your .avi's.? ? What program did you use to convert the dvd's over ? By the way, any Philips DVD player will play the .avi files and let you watch on your home t v. Same goes with portable players. That's what I use going to Vegas or PR. You can buy most for under $50.00 at Target or Walmart.

Hi, Ronnie,

I haven't converted one of my DVDs for a long time because it wasn't working out watching a movie on my Cowon. I think you're right about the ITouch being too small for that, too. My son commented on that. He said I'm better carrying my small portable DVD player around, which I love. I have a great Panasonic. I used to have DVD Shrink. I'm not even sure if that's a current program.

I've never used any news groups. Maybe I should?

Hi Lynn,

Told you I lurk;) sound like what you need is the iPad it is much bigger than the iPad Touch but does pretty much the same things. I've taken a look a them and would love one but DH doesn't feel I need any more technology.:rolleyes:

I got the same response from MY husband <g>. I honestly don't want an iPad right now because I have my computer(s), my netbook, my Cowan .. I sort have a lot of technology, too <lol>.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm listening to an interesting book, The School of Essential Ingredients, by Erica Bauermeister. So far this is definitely a woman's book and definitely also a foodie type book. The language is extremely descriptive, and I'm enjoying the use of words.

• 4 weeks later...
I'm listening to an interesting book, The School of Essential Ingredients, by Erica Bauermeister. So far this is definitely a woman's book and definitely also a foodie type book. The language is extremely descriptive, and I'm enjoying the use of words.

Just a heads up Lynn. I had to fly to Florida last week and I put a copy of Knight & Day on it and had no problem watching it on the 3X5 screen. Sure makes the trip go faster.

Thanks for letting me know, Ronnie. First of all, my husband and I saw Knight and Day in the theatre ... which is only worth mentioning because we rarely go to the movies. Funny that it should be the same movie you watched.

But ... instead of the iTouch, I ended up getting a DroidX phone, which I am madly in love with <g>. My son bought it for me on launch date (July 15), although my birthday was June 15th. Anyway ... I can now do EVERYTHING with my DroidX ... carry my music, movies, eBooks (although, of course, I still love and use my Kindle all the time). It's great, though, and does everything I need a multimedia player/phone to do. I'm soooooo happy finally. My son rocks!!! It was HIS idea.

You flew to Florida? Did you go on a cruise??????????????

Thanks for letting me know, Ronnie. First of all, my husband and I saw Knight and Day in the theatre ... which is only worth mentioning because we rarely go to the movies. Funny that it should be the same movie you watched.

But ... instead of the iTouch, I ended up getting a DroidX phone, which I am madly in love with <g>. My son bought it for me on launch date (July 15), although my birthday was June 15th. Anyway ... I can now do EVERYTHING with my DroidX ... carry my music, movies, eBooks (although, of course, I still love and use my Kindle all the time). It's great, though, and does everything I need a multimedia player/phone to do. I'm soooooo happy finally. My son rocks!!! It was HIS idea.

You flew to Florida? Did you go on a cruise??????????????

No my Mom is very sick so it was not a planned trip. I leave for San Juan on 08/28/10 to sail on the Serenade. How do you load your movies, books and songs on to your phone? ? It has to be better than loading on my Iphone or Touch. I have a PSP I loaded with movies and did not use it one time. Probably going to get rid of it as I don't need it. I also travel with a portable 8 inch Divx DVD player. You can load up to 6 movies on a DVD.

No my Mom is very sick so it was not a planned trip. I leave for San Juan on 08/28/10 to sail on the Serenade. How do you load your movies, books and songs on to your phone? ? It has to be better than loading on my Iphone or Touch. I have a PSP I loaded with movies and did not use it one time. Probably going to get rid of it as I don't need it. I also travel with a portable 8 inch Divx DVD player. You can load up to 6 movies on a DVD.

I'm sorry to hear your mom is so sick. Are you still going to be able to go on your cruise?

I don't think I do it any differently than you do. My books are ones I buy for Nook or Kindle (although I only have a Kindle). I download books to their software, which is free to put on iPhone or Droid. Movies have to be in mp4 format for the Droid. I don't know about the iPhone specifically. All my songs in mp3 format just drag and drop to my Droid. I believe you have to use iTunes, right? I do everything through Windows, which is nice and easy.

I'm sorry to hear your mom is so sick. Are you still going to be able to go on your cruise?

I don't think I do it any differently than you do. My books are ones I buy for Nook or Kindle (although I only have a Kindle). I download books to their software, which is free to put on iPhone or Droid. Movies have to be in mp4 format for the Droid. I don't know about the iPhone specifically. All my songs in mp3 format just drag and drop to my Droid. I believe you have to use iTunes, right? I do everything through Windows, which is nice and easy.

Hey Lynn.

What program do you use to convert your AVI's to MP4 ? I use one called PSP Convert or something like that. I will get the correct name if you want. I set my movies and TV shows when I go to bed and I have it shut off the computer when it's done. When you download books are they in a M4B format? ? I am so rushed when I get home I have time to do a fraction of what I want to do. I will list me books I like when I get time.

Hey Lynn.

What program do you use to convert your AVI's to MP4 ? I use one called PSP Convert or something like that. I will get the correct name if you want. I set my movies and TV shows when I go to bed and I have it shut off the computer when it's done. When you download books are they in a M4B format? ? I am so rushed when I get home I have time to do a fraction of what I want to do. I will list me books I like when I get time.

I just got my phone 4 weeks ago. I already had some .avi files. I haven't had to deal with anything yet. The books I buy on Amazon (Kindle) and Barnes and Noble (Nook) come in their own proprietary formats that import seamlessly.

I would love to see what books you like and recommend sometime. Its always great sharing ideas and suggestions.

Lynn

• 4 months later...
Hey everybody, I know this thread has kind of died off, but I wanted to say "Happy New Year" to everyone!!!

Hi, Jim,

You beat me to it! I was just signing on here to do the same <g>.

Happy New Year to Everyone. Here's to a Happy, Healthy one.

How are YOU doing, Jim? I'm actually just starting to get back into audiobooks again as of this week. My son gave me a 32 gb iPod Touch for Christmas, and I'm soooooooooo excited and having sooooooo much fun. It's WONDERFUL for audiobooks (as well as a lot of other things, of course).

We sailed on Oasis of the Seas again a few weeks ago, so I'm back in cruise withdrawal <g>. We had a fantastic time. I keep meaning to write about our cruise on my blog, but we've all had terrible colds since Christmas, so I haven't accomplished much around here. Today is the first day in a while that I'm feeling like myself again.

I hope all is well with you!!!!

Lynn

Hi, Jim,

You beat me to it! I was just signing on here to do the same <g>.

Happy New Year to Everyone. Here's to a Happy, Healthy one.

How are YOU doing, Jim? I'm actually just starting to get back into audiobooks again as of this week. My son gave me a 32 gb iPod Touch for Christmas, and I'm soooooooooo excited and having sooooooo much fun. It's WONDERFUL for audiobooks (as well as a lot of other things, of course).

We sailed on Oasis of the Seas again a few weeks ago, so I'm back in cruise withdrawal <g>. We had a fantastic time. I keep meaning to write about our cruise on my blog, but we've all had terrible colds since Christmas, so I haven't accomplished much around here. Today is the first day in a while that I'm feeling like myself again.

I hope all is well with you!!!!

Lynn

Things are well. We just married off our last two (September and November). My son and DIL were on the Brilliance for their honeymoon over in the med when she had all that listing trouble. They were actually featured on GMA and Inside Edition (as well as others) and phone interviewed on the ship and then when they got to Malta. Got a free cruise out of it but never got to Egypt (the highlight of the cruise). They were pretty scared... All is well though:)

Just got off of Oasis....(again) you are living the grand life style now;):)

Things are well. We just married off our last two (September and November). My son and DIL were on the Brilliance for their honeymoon over in the med when she had all that listing trouble. They were actually featured on GMA and Inside Edition (as well as others) and phone interviewed on the ship and then when they got to Malta. Got a free cruise out of it but never got to Egypt (the highlight of the cruise). They were pretty scared... All is well though:)

Just got off of Oasis....(again) you are living the grand life style now;):)

Wow, Jim!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I read all about that cruise, of course, and remember the couple being interviewed. I would have paid more attention if I had realized that was your son and DIL. Why did think you had all daughters? I guess because of the engagements and weddings <g>. What a cruise that must have been!!!!

Yes, Oasis was amazing...even a second time. I loved seeing all the shows again...particularly Hairspray. RCCL really has spectacular entertainment.

Here's to a wonderful 2011. I hope we can resuurect this thread and start discussing books again. I've really missed that.

Wow, Jim!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I read all about that cruise, of course, and remember the couple being interviewed. I would have paid more attention if I had realized that was your son and DIL. Why did think you had all daughters? I guess because of the engagements and weddings <g>. What a cruise that must have been!!!!

Yes, Oasis was amazing...even a second time. I loved seeing all the shows again...particularly Hairspray. RCCL really has spectacular entertainment.

Here's to a wonderful 2011. I hope we can resuurect this thread and start discussing books again. I've really missed that.

I agree.....I kind of miss hearing about the reads (and listens). Happy New Year!

I agree.....I kind of miss hearing about the reads (and listens). Happy New Year!

Oh, good. I'm glad we're going to keep in touch and talk about our books again. I'm looking forward to it.

I kind of diverted to a light fantasy genre on my Kindle. After reading all five of the Percy Jackson series by Rick Riordan, I started liking YA fantasy. Not too scary for me but very magical. Now I'm reading one of Diana Wynne Jones's Chrestomanci books, Charmed Life. This discovery is a totally new genre for me other than Harry Potter. Fun!!!

I'm trying to broaden my reading horizons this year so I can "talk" about some different reads. Right now I'm in the middle of Hotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet...and enjoying it a lot! Have you read it?

I'm trying to broaden my reading horizons this year so I can "talk" about some different reads. Right now I'm in the middle of Hotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet...and enjoying it a lot! Have you read it?

Not at all. Who is the author?

Just looked it up. Looks very interesting. The write up kind of reminded me a little of snow falling on cedars....

Oops. I hadn't read this response when I replied to you. Yes, I think you'd really like it, too.

Hmmm. I never read Snow Falling on Cedars. Now I need to check THAT out.

Okay! We're back in tune with each other. The Art of Racing in the Rain is next up on my list. How is it?

Very easy read....good book. Written from a dog's perspective (very mature older dog). Made me cry....we had to put down our 16 year old this past March and brought it all back. That aside though, it was good.

Have another one for you to consider. Jonathan Franzen --- The Corrections. Almost done. Another good author.

Jim

Very easy read....good book. Written from a dog's perspective (very mature older dog). Made me cry....we had to put down our 16 year old this past March and brought it all back. That aside though, it was good.

Have another one for you to consider. Jonathan Franzen --- The Corrections. Almost done. Another good author.

Jim

OMG! You know I'll cry!!! Dogs (our two poodles in particular) are my passion. In 2001 we went through "that" with our 10-year-old poodle at the time and we were ALL devastated. Now we have two poodles coming up on 10 years. Sigh!

I keep wondering about Jonathan Franzen but have never read his books. Okay. They're officially on my list now. Isn't he the one who had made up stuff in his book but had claimed it was true? Am I thinking of the correct author who was on Oprah?