UK Cruisers-with regard to Fuel Surcharge

Elizanessie

Please Mods do not merge this with the other thread on this subject.

Just to let you know that it is very likely UK Cruisers will not be charged the Fuel Surcharge announced last week by RCCL/Celebrity.

Within a report on Travelmole about the surcharge was this comment-

"The company has followed Carnival Corporation in not introducing the supplement in the UK."

At this moment in time the UK office hasnt been able to confirm this but it is hoped there will be a statement later this week.

Now I dont know how this will work with regard to those from UK booked with US TA's.:(

I don't think that is quite correct I do believe that it has just not been completely decided just what they are going to charge here. However they will charge a surcharge here tooo. Remember all Carnival Corporation outfits based in Europe (COSTA, AIDA etc) have been charging EU Bookings (only)with fuel surcharge for more than a year now.... Only now the rest of the world is being added.

As to RCCL, X and Azamara well it seems they are still working on a watertight solution for EU & UK bookings.

I find it strange that in the announcement they did include what the surcharge would be on Pullmantur -50 Euros

Have to say I thought it strange that UK etc wasnt mentioned in the announcement from Miami RCCL offices.

So I right away emailed my contacts at UK office to try and see what was happening and from what I have been told so far it looks like they have yet to make a final decision...or perhaps they are still doing their sums :D

But then again you would think that they would have thought all this out before Miami made their announcement :confused:

If you try and book a new cruise on Celebrity UK the following appears

Note: For North America reservations, a fuel supplement of $5.00 per day per person for the first two occupants of a stateroom (Subject to a maximum of $140per Stateroom) will apply to all sailings departing on or after February 1,2008.

David

is this because of

the strength of the £ against the $

If you try and book a new cruise on Celebrity UK the following appears

Note: For North America reservations, a fuel supplement of $5.00 per day per person for the first two occupants of a stateroom (Subject to a maximum of $140per Stateroom) will apply to all sailings departing on or after February 1,2008.

David

is this because of

the strength of the £ against the $

Now I have to say that is so weird....I went to rccl uk site and pretended to do a booking and didnt get that message but like yourself I got it on the X uk site :confused: mmm...will need to phone a friend on this one ;)

It will be interesting if those in the UK can cancel without a penalty and return of depost...

Jade13 :D

I would say yes they would be allowed to cancel,within a certain timeframe, without penalty or loss of deposit. Actually this was reported earlier today but I believe that was before more meetings took place at the UK office.

Lets hope it doesnt come to that and hopefully we will all hear something soon...fingers are sore from being crossed :o

Ok this was posted by Dellas1000 on the RCCL forum-

Ok here is the deal for UK and Irish bookings ::

All bookings already booked with either deposit or full payment NO CHARGE

All options on bookings must be confirmed by close of business Wednesday to avoid charge.

For new bookings from Thursday the following charge will apply :::

£2.50 or Euro €3.50 per person per day which is capped at a Max of £35 or Euro €49 per person per cruise !!!

So not too bad , we are getting off lightly for cruises already booked. :)

Just to clarify ANY UK passenger who has booked with a USA/Canada Travel agent will be charged the fuel supplement as their booking is governed by US rules.

Thanks for posting this information. I have paid the balance on our SA cruise as it is a 15 day for 3 of us - I'd rather spend the money in the Martini bar!

I have often been irritated by the fact that we have so many restrictions around deposits and price changes, cabin change charges etc This seems like it is a time when booking in the UK has paid off.

Angie:)

I suspect some of this "generosity" is because the £ conversion for the cost of the cruise was done when the brochures came out and at a rate of c£1=$1.89. They are already doing quite well from the old £ bookings, though less so on the Eoro ones

Liz, Gets more and more confusing:confused: , have a cruise booked direct with RCCL in Miami in GBP for which I have paid the deposit but using my English Address and have been told this morning that NO SURCHARGE will apply:) :D ,(will have to wait and see):rolleyes: but also have another cruised booked on Celebrity in April through Miami and using our US address and in $US and was told that the surcharge WOULD apply, but got lucky on that one too as just before we left the UK last month I went onto the internet to pay a couple more hundred $$$s off the total and I hit the wrong button and paid the full amount:o , so have saved $140;) . Nice when it does work in our favour though.

John.

Ok this was posted by Dellas1000 on the RCCL forum-

Ok here is the deal for UK and Irish bookings ::

All bookings already booked with either deposit or full payment NO CHARGE

All options on bookings must be confirmed by close of business Wednesday to avoid charge.

For new bookings from Thursday the following charge will apply :::

£2.50 or Euro €3.50 per person per day which is capped at a Max of £35 or Euro €49 per person per cruise !!!

So not too bad , we are getting off lightly for cruises already booked. :)

Just to clarify ANY UK passenger who has booked with a USA/Canada Travel agent will be charged the fuel supplement as their booking is governed by US rules.

I am in the US but that is my issue with Celebrity. They are allowing some pax a certain date to pay in full. Regent gave pax a date, NCL made it on new bookings and Carnival Corp (HAL etc) is charging everyone but at least it is the same.

Archived