Update on Costa Maya dock repairs?

39august

Just returned after spending Thanksgiving in Costa Maya.

Repairs to the Cruise ship dock have started. A large barge and crane have been moved to the pier. Work has been started.

Work is well underway in town. Work is also underway on the Malecon (new walkway / road ) on the waterfront. The area just south of the Hotel Mahahual and extending to the area of the fishing pier to the south. Many hotels and restaurants have started to re-open.

The road to the south of town to Maya Palms has been regraded and packed - in excellent shape.

Life has started to return to more 'normal'.

Repairs to the Cruise ship dock have started. A large barge and crane have been moved to the pier. Work has been started.

Work is well underway in town. Work is also underway on the Malecon (new walkway / road ) on the waterfront. The area just south of the Hotel Mahahual and extending to the area of the fishing pier to the south. Many hotels and restaurants have started to re-open.

The road to the south of town to Maya Palms has been regraded and packed - in excellent shape.

That is excellent news indeed. We look forward to the return of the cruise ships.

Please tell me.. did you see how Chac-Chi Resort next to the pier is doing.

They took a huge hit and this was my favorite place to go while in Costa Maya. As you may know, you had to access it through a hole in the fence as the pier built a wall to stop tourist from easy access.

Were you able to see any rebuilding going on at Chac-Chi.

Thank you.

Marge

• 2 weeks later...
Please tell me.. did you see how Chac-Chi Resort next to the pier is doing.

They took a huge hit and this was my favorite place to go while in Costa Maya. As you may know, you had to access it through a hole in the fence as the pier built a wall to stop tourist from easy access.

Were you able to see any rebuilding going on at Chac-Chi.

Thank you.

Marge

The news on Chac-Chi ( last I heard) was very good. They lost some roofs off their cabanas and of course did receive some damage...but nothing that will stop them from coming back better than ever.

I just hope it knocked the fence down!!!

• 2 weeks later...
I have not seen anything about the Cat's Meow. Any information on that?

Look for the thread about someone bumping into Ivan in Cozumel.

Apparently David and Ivan have relocated their incredibly popular tours north to Cozumel and they are taking tours to Tulum now.

Ivan told the poster that the Cat's Meow was completely destroyed and Barbara lost everything and returned to Canada.

Bill

Apparently David and Ivan have relocated their incredibly popular tours north to Cozumel and they are taking tours to Tulum now.

Ivan told the poster that the Cat's Meow was completely destroyed and Barbara lost everything and returned to Canada.

That is so sad to hear. Barbara was a delightfully warm and kind woman. Our family visited Costa Maya and the village in June of 2006. My DS3 commented just the other day that his fav port was there because he really enjoyed just sitting at a table on the shoreline drinking a bottle of beer and letting the day go by. Best Wishes to Barbara and the memory of the Cat's Meow.

• 4 weeks later...

Just returned from Mahahual. Pier is 60% complete. Ahead of schedule. Pier complex is being worked on 24 hours a day. They expect to be ready for one ship my April 08, but not sure when the cruise lines will start back. The town is full of re-building activity and the beaches are already lined with chairs/tables and open for business. No more jet-ski's allowed from the reef to the beach, so snorkerlers will be much safer. Cozumel is getting 6 ships on some days, so the governement is putting alot of effort to get Costa Maya open.

• 1 month later...

Archived