Choosing a TA

Sea and Me

We have used our travel agency forever, nearly 30 years and have booked everything from land to cruise getwaways. It comes as part of our insurance company. We've had different agents (mostly due to retirements and one accidental death) and they do different things. Some have sent us wine, some flowers, some just OBC to do with as we choose. The perks are up to the agent and there's nothing to say that they have to do anything for you. I think a lot of it has to do with how easy you are to deal with, both as a customer and a person.

Charlie

Hi Carol;

I use one internet TA well known on this board, but I always do a lot of shopping online before I book. So far, my current agent is always the lowest price or within a couple of dollars of it. If there were a significant difference, I would give her the opportunity to match, and if not , I would book with the lowest price.

fair winds

Dave

We have a great TA who usually has a little something waiting for us in the room (i.e. a 6 pack of pop and some snacks), sends us a little photo album at home a week or so before we depart, and on our last cruise (12 wonderful days in the Med), treated us to a dinner at the alternative dinning room.

We found them by word of mouth, and they do nothing but cruises. They are aware that we’ve shopped around a bit for better prices (like Costco or AAA) but we’ve never found anything that was substantially less expensive, and then again, how do you value great service?

You might want to ask around - firends and coworkers to see if anyone has a TA that they love.

As a TA myself, the best thing you get from a good TA is service. We can't solve all your problems, but we are there, we give the best prices we can and if a real problem arises it is nice to know someone is on your side. as for perks, this depends on the agent and the company. I do like to suprise my clients with a little something, but I hope my service is why they book with me. Just my thoughts.

Nita

When I booked our Hawaii cruise I used an online agency. When I started the roll call I started chatting with other posters and they were using a TA in Sac and she was offering transportation by bus for a fee. I thought that sounded good as my husband would not have to drive so we switched. She also offered $50.00 each as credit onboard. When we got onboard there were vouchers for Sabatini's (2), Sterling Steak House (2), A balcony breakfast for 2, a bottle of Champagne, a bottle of red wine, a dozen red roses. We knew about the credit but the rest was a total surprise. Plus she has someone in her office always checking prices and if they go lower she gets that for her customers - we didn't have to always check. I know we have found our TA for our cruising in the future.

First let me say it builds my confidence up when I read some of your reports .I know that there are great TA's out there.

I have found that you can get a great price from the internet TA's..........Then I have found if you wont to contact them say to make a payment installment.. or question regarding your booked cruise,they can be very difficult to get hold of.On the other hand if you do get an internet TA that is there to answer those questions him or her cruise price will not give you the same discount as the first.

If you know what you wont ,don't wont to make any changes I'd say go for the cheapest....(In my own experience).

Now I have dealt with a couple of face to face TA's in my own area Vancouver BC with agencies in Canada and USA I innocently approached as a novice first time cruiser...it did not work out well....Several persons on this web site complained about this agency.......which we are not allowed to name now.......but they still sponsor on this site.

Secondly quite recently face to face got a great deal.....Noticed on the web that agencies in the states were then selling alot cheaper.Mentioned this to the local TA........who stated we had the fixed group rate that was it .E-mailed the page from the web a week later to this TA...who said 'Oh did you not get the cheaper rate?'...Then only then was I given the lower rate.This was long before final payment.

I would like to say its great for those that have excellent TA's that look after their clients interests....They will always have those customers.

I would always say to anyone looking for a TA to check the prices even if you have booked and feel comfy with that agent. If you see the price has gone down contact and let the TA know.

For those of you that have a TA that checks prices for you...You have a gem of a TA hold on to them they are as precious as gold.........Heather:)

Our TA gives us first class treatment. Usually no perks just great service and has anwsered all of our questions in a timely manner. She is just a super nice person and a joy to talk to. always has valuable information as to ships and ports.

cricketdog

We book a lot of cruises (around 70 days of cruising per year) and over the years have developed our own "short list" of 6 TAs. They are all relatively large agencies, all have decent service, and because they are large they also have some clout with the cruise lines. In the end, we go with the agency that can get us the best price. In some cases, the price differences can be over $1000 between TAs, so it does pay to shop. As to first class treatment, I simply fill out an on-line for or make a quick phone call and its done! When I need "hand holding" I simply hold my wife's hand! :)

Hank

Hank

Archived