Live from the Coral - 11/20/07

marlinmike

NOTICE! It was announced shortly after casting off at Aruba yesterday that it has been announced that there will be a general one day strike by the major labor unions in Costa Rica on Monday, Nov. 26th – the day we were supposed to be there. The strike is in protest of Costa Rica’s participation in the North American Free Trade Agreement. Traffic and communication will be disrupted as demonstrations are scheduled for all the major cities. So, we’re not going there! 11/24 is still Columbia, 11/25 is still Panama, 11/26 is sea day, 11/27 is Ocho Rios, 11/28 is Grand Cayman, 11/29 is a sea day and back in FFL on 11/30.

Debbie – in answer to your questions about room service. When in a suite you get a card that you can hang on your door the night before. It has juices, fresh fruits, yogurt, cold cereal, breads & pastries, preserves, basic omelets or scrambled, breakfast meats and beverages. You can select a time for it to be delivered. You also get a menu that they would have in the dining room that you can call room service and order any of the above or al a carte by dialing room service. This morning’s breakfast took 30 minutes.

We just left Cartenga and are setting course for the Panama Canal. The weather has been beautiful and so was Cartenga. We did a bus tour – the Scenes of Cartenga – and it was fabulous. I think a lot of those bus tours have a lot to do with the guide you get and we got a good one. This was the most sold tour and was split into 5 or 6 buses, each and different guides. The history was fascinating. Tonight’s menu – Spaghetti alla Scarpara, Filet of Halibut Salmoriglio, Brochette King Neptune, Breast of Chicken Jacqueline or Dry-Aged Nebraska Prime Rib au Jus. Bon Appetite!

Sorry to make this one so short, but I'm late for a cocktail party in our friend's cabin :-)

Slowpoke48--the anytime and traditional dinning rooms do have the same menu! The alternative dining rooms (Bayou and Sabatini's on the Coral) have the different menus and of course there's always the buffet.

Marlinmike--so sorry to hear you will miss Costa Rica! This has been about my favorite port to date (although this trip will add Columbia and Aruba, which are new to me!). Also sorry to hear the Costa Ricans are not on-board with the free-trade agreement!:(

By the way, it does sound like there are new menu options on this cruise--it makes me all the more excited!

No matter the unforeseen circumstances, continue to enjoy your cruise Marlin mike. Arizona just turned Winter-like (60's) so I'm ready for the 80s again! We're so spoiled:D

Have fun in Panama--incredibly beautiful country and the locks are fabulous! Thanks again for posting!

All the best,

VB1

Thanks for the update. Grand Cayman is a nice replacement port...Glad you have turned the weather around for us cruising on the 30th! You make the food sound wonderful and from past reviews, we were a little worried because people said the food was not that good. We are so ready to be where you are! Hope you have a great days for the rest of your cruise! Happy cruising!

They must have taken on all new cooks for this cruise.

We were on the 11/10 and the food was awful.

We have previously sailed The Crown and The Sapphire with good food.

The food had fancy names but it was not good and breakfast room service never showed up ?

We also ate a the Bayou and the New York Strip had a T-Bone in it ? Strange for a strip steak. We asked, they said yes, that was a New York Strip.

Glad the food is better on your cruise.

Marlinmike glad to read that you are on another cruise.

We sailed the Crown again this past summer. Same itinerary, same day of the week departure and we had 100% success with a 9 day cruise and 4 ports of call. Unlike last year's post tip cruise.

Have a wonderful rest of the cruise.

Sorry it’s been so long – been having a blast. The Panama Canal was as expected. We are fortunate Pacific Northwesterners and we kind of had an idea of what was going to happen. Just like the Ballard locks – just on a BIGGER scale! It was still neat to be there doing it. The downside was that it was humid as hell, with no wind. You had could drink a bottle of water and watch it pour out your skin as you drank it. We were blessed with good weather however, in that there was no rain. The girls in the group went ashore in Cristobal, while we sat in Explorers and watch the CBS football games. The cruise director stopped by and bought us two buckets of beer and they had chips, salsa and guacamole.

Today has been an at sea day because of the itinerary change. We’ve been crossing the middle of the Caribbean Sea all night and day long with 12’ to 15’ seas. Yes, it’s been bothering some – you can tell at the public areas and especially at the art auction. We’ve got another cabin cocktail party at 6:00 tonight and we’re going to The Bayou again tonight.

Dinners: Last night on Panama Canal day was the International Menu with Rollatine di Magro alla Caprese (Spinich and Ricotta crepes), Snapper Filet, Rainbow Trout, Leg of Lamb or Surf and Turf (filet & shrimp). Tonight is Itilain night with Pappaardelle al Sugo di Lepre (rabbit and noodles), Saltimbocca Baby Turbot (fish), Gamberi alla Fra Diavolo (shrimp flambee), Costoletta di Vitello Piemontese (veal) and Brasato di Manzo al Barolo.

Sorry about the spelling and typing – the seas are rough, the keyboard is moving and I’m in a hurry. Remember, I’m bringing home all the menus and patters and will scan them for posting on someone’s website.

It is now Tuesday and we just left Ocho Rios. I apologize for not uploading the previous information, but you know how busy you can get when you’re having fun. I know I’ll have some time for awhile before dinner so I’ll be able to get this one posted. While in Ocho we did the Sandals Resort thing. We went to the Dunns Falls Sandals. The resort was a little old, but kept up. Grounds and buildings were clean. This place has a beautiful beach and a huge pool with a swim-up bar. Lunch and all drinks were included. They did do a little pitch to us, but that wasn’t that bad (actually less than I was anticipating). The bad part of the excursion was the last ½ hour was spent in an air conditioned room trying to get people to learn to do some Jamacian dances. WHAT A WASTE OF TIME! I would have rather spent that time doing what I paid to do, sit in the sun and/or pool.

Tonight is formal night with the traditional Captain’s Gala Dinner. One of the servers last night at the Bayou told me they now server one lobster tail and two large prawns with the lobster dinner so just order the Beef Wellington and the lobster – just the right amount of both. I’ve tried several times to get a copy of the Bayou menu, but they are pretty tight with them. The Bayou Maitre D said he’d copy one and send it to my room but I haven’t seen one yet. Tonight’s choices are Ravioli con Salsa di Funghi, Cold Water Barramundi in a Coriander Butter Sauce, Lobster Tail with King Prawns, Royal Pheasant in Pan Juices and Beef Wellington.

Tomorrow it’s Grand Cayman, one more sea day then it’s back to the rat races unless I can find a place on this ship to hide out :-)

Archived