Spa services. What did you think?

JWestShuh

I am looking to get a bit pampered on my next cruise in March and was wondering if someone would give me some information about the spa services. If anyone has the prices of the services that would be great. Also, if anyone has gone to the spa, could you tell me what you thought? Basically I am wondering if it was worth it for you. Thanks!

I am looking to get a bit pampered on my next cruise in March and was wondering if someone would give me some information about the spa services. If anyone has the prices of the services that would be great. Also, if anyone has gone to the spa, could you tell me what you thought? Basically I am wondering if it was worth it for you. Thanks!

My wife has used the spa services and though they were good. However, they are a bit pricey -- after all, at sea, you cannot shop around for another service as you can at home. That said, we do not recall the exact price. If the spa treatment is good, my wife says you'll remember the spa service long after you have forgotten the price.

You might ask the spa people if there will be 'special prices' (i.e., lower) on days when the ship is in port. Verify if they will be open or closed on those days. Unless you plan to get off at each and every last port-of-call -- spending a relaxing day on a nearly empty ship can be very pleasant. On our last cruise, we skipped getting off the ship at the ports we had previously visited or were not particularly exceptional -- and had a great time on-board.

Fantastic service with no crowds. The spa people gave my wife extra time for no extra charge.

Personally, I would book some spa services for the day before the cruise with a nice land based spa. You will pay a fraction of the price and get the same (or better) service. That way you can start your cruise relaxed and still have some money left for some shopping.

Just my two cents

Hi, I generally get spa services. The spas always have daily specials, especially good on port days. I've never seen the spa closed during the day. You can sign up for a time that is after you get back from off the ship and still take advantage of the lower price or special.

The ship spas are generally considered expensive. They will by no means be the cheapest price you see if you are comparing them to the cheapest where you live but if you stay at a Four Seasons or a Hyatt resort they will be cheaper than that so it depends on your perspective. I think they are worth it. Especially a massage after a walking intensive day. For me pampering myself and relaxing is part of being on vacation.

For NCL, I was standing in line on the Dawn to make my appt and the lady in front of me was booking a facial because (as she said) her friend said it was the best one in the world. The lady behind me piped up that she agreed so I decided to book one also. I have not had many since a facial is not my favorite treatment but I had to agree. It was better than the one I had at the Red Mountain Spa and Resort in Utah and better than the one I had at The St. Julian in Boulder CO. So I recommend the facial.

I had three massages that same cruise and the first one was not up to par and then the person decided to pout that I didn't buy product. I complained to the manager afterwards and for my next appt. switched to a different therapist who I thought did a superior job so then I booked another with her. I did try a treatment that involved a mint rub of some sort and I do not recommend that. It was like menthol over your entire body and freezing. The therapist quickly washed it off and we did something else like a mud wrap before my massage so it worked out.

If you don't have a good experience mention why to the manager. If you do then you are in heaven! Nothing like taking advantage of the other spa facilities for relaxation also while on vacation. Make sure to allow yourself enough time and checkout the area in advance so you know if you want to steam, sauna, whirlpool etc.

I have sailed on Princess, Celebrity, Holland America and NCL. I have enjoyed the spas on all and had good luck getting a good person. Very seldom am I disappointed and I would have to say that I am usually more impressed than I am with land based services. The spa manager probably has her pick of talent so can quickly eliminate anyone who generates complaints.

Have fun on your cruise!

Michelle

I have to say - I've been looking forward to trying the spa this summer when we are on the Gem. I'm thinking twice though - because all I have read over the last few months are people talking about the "hard sell" they receive for future spa services. It's turning me off a bit - as I want to go there, get my massage and relax. Not worry about the sell. Please tell me they at least do this AFTER your service - and not during. I can't think of anything more annoying than that.

I have to say - I've been looking forward to trying the spa this summer when we are on the Gem. I'm thinking twice though - because all I have read over the last few months are people talking about the "hard sell" they receive for future spa services. It's turning me off a bit - as I want to go there, get my massage and relax. Not worry about the sell. Please tell me they at least do this AFTER your service - and not during. I can't think of anything more annoying than that.

I just had my first (and second) massage (on Azamara Journey). Particularly loved the hot stone massage. There too there was the product pitch. However, in answer to your question, yes they do it at the end. I'm sure they are obliged to pitch product by their management. I just said I would think about and I'd "discuss it during my next visit". Of course, I had a different therapist and didn't bother discussing it but gave her the same line.

If you feel that strongly about it, make it clear at the beginning that you do NOT want to discuss product.

Enjoy!

nlvc

I'm glad that they at least wait until the end to sell. I know that it is a part of their jobs, but I have never bought a product from a spa. Too expensive. Do you guys remember any of the prices for the spa services? I am debating on whether to do it the day before the cruise - as that was mentioned - or booking during our last day at port. Great Stirrup Cay doesn't sound all that appealing to me, but a massage does!

I had the hot stone treatment on the Sun during our cruise in Oct., infact two of them and it was $171.00ea. I think the time was an hour or so. One of the first things I mentioned to her was I do not intend to buy any products because I have my specific brands that I use from my own hometown spa. She was just fine with that and I didn't have to listen to a talk on what I should or should not use. She was very good and professional. Both of my treatments were done on sea days. I know they had special rates for inport days.

To me part of my cruise enjoyment are the Spa treatments that I get during our cruise vacation.

Deb

I've only had the 'hard sell' happen twice that I can think of. This is spread over many spa treatments. Usually I just say 'no thanks' to any products and I do that to on-land spa personnel who try to sell me stuff as well as my hair stylist. If they take the 'no-thanks' with a smile then I don't consider that a 'hard sell'. Its only a 'hard sell' to me if they won't stop asking or as in the instance of the one person who pouted I complained about the treatment. Also they've only asked at the end.

Don't worry about it, go and have fun! If your comfortable saying 'no-thanks' to your hair stylist you'll likely have no problem with the spa personnel.

Cheers!

Michelle

The BEST thing I did for myself on my last cruise on the Pearl was to buy a spa pass for the week. It included using the whirl pools, therapy pool, hot stone loungers, saunas, etc... It was SO relaxing, and I met some really nice people there. I went every day.

Here is a link to the spa menu (click the spas at sea in the dropdown menu)

http://www.mandaraspa.com/Main/SpaView.aspx?SpaID=21

As for hard sell, I figured out long ago how to put a stop to that immediately. They have you fill out a form before you go in for a treatment,a profile of sorts, in the comment section I put a star and then the phrase **"I am here for quiet and relaxation NO sales pitch please"**

works like a charm! Also one other hint even though there is a line on the slip to add in a tip you are already autocharged like 15 percent so if you want to add more just be aware of that. I had gone for a stone massage that was around 200.00 I had figured out to give the tech a 40.00 tip (20 percent) and wrote it on the slip without even checking it, when I got back to my cabin I noticed that they had already added in a tip of around 30.00 so the tech ended up with 70.00 in a tip from me!:eek: My husband wanted me to go back and have it adjusted to only give her the extra ten dollars but I felt too foolish. Lesson learned though, read before you sign:o

I second what retiredonthesea said. My son and I both had multiple spa treatments on our last cruise (Spirit). They had us fill out a questionnaire before the first treatment "to have on file" and we skipped most of the questions on it (unless they seemed relevant - but most looked like they were there in order to be able to tailor their sales pitch and/or market things to you after - why would they need your address, etc.). Instead, we both wrote, PLEASE NO SALES PITCHES OR ADVICE. WE ARE JUST HERE FOR A RELAXING TREATMENT.

Neither of us got any sales pitches. It was wonderful to not have to deal with that.

Great idea - about writing it in ahead of time. Although I also don't have a problem saying no - I just wouldn't want to have to say it during the treatment. Too bad they have to go for the sales pitch though.......can't wait to visit though.

One last question - if you are at the spa for a treatment - do you get to use the facility for the day? Can you go and come back later??

Thanks.

There are always specials on port days, if you can get your hands on one of the coupon books you can buy one get one half price on treatments on port days. I am planning on doing that Christmas morning, why DH and DS go play tarzan in the rainforest I will spend three hours in the spa.... :)

btw you can use the facilites before and after your treatment but not come and go all day, at least that has been my experience.

The BEST thing I did for myself on my last cruise on the Pearl was to buy a spa pass for the week. It included using the whirl pools, therapy pool, hot stone loungers, saunas, etc... It was SO relaxing, and I met some really nice people there. I went every day.

Do remember what the price was for the week. I know on the Dawn for 7 days it is $75 and was wondering what the 9 day price was. I am really looking forward to the spa pass!

I had a facial on my last cruise. It was fine, but I did not like the person who gave it to me. She actually really upset me. She told me I had wrinkles and broken capillaries all over my face and they would only get worse and never better unless I bought her product. She even started pushing on parts of my face that she thought were showing age. Mind you, I am only 33 now. I was 32 then and I have never been a person to go out in the sun or do things that damage my skin. She really nailed me on telling me how old I would look unless I bought their products.

I didn't complain. I didn't do anything about it. I just decided not to use their services again. It's not relaxing to be told I look like an old haggard wench!

How irritating. I'd hate to think what that lady would say about my face - yikes. That's the type of "sell" I was asking about. Once I had a facial (not on a cruise) and the lady told me - in the middle of the facial - "you know, you really need to wax your eyebrows". Ok, maybe they needed it but it wasn't a unibrow or anything! So, don't interrupt my peace, make me feel like I look like you know what, or anything else to make your sell. It urks me - yes, I can say no - but it does irritate me. Sounds like you all had some great advice though - fill out the form and say "don't bug me - I'm not buying"!

I will start with the massage, my daughter said it was the most relaxing thing she has ever done. She was treated well by the attendant and was not given the hard sell.

Now...Ionithermie. When my wife said she wanted to have this done I choked on the price :eek: ( I have since blocked it from my memory )but thought Oh well, it's vacation. I was very skeptical about what it the treatment claims to do... reduce inches from your body. Guess what...It worked :). She truly did lose inches, enough that her pants fit her significantly different and I could visibly see a difference. This was not water weight...I can't explain it but weeks later she still looked leaner in the hips/thighs ;). She was a Very Satisfied Customer.

Hello,

I have worked as a Massage Therapist for more than 16 years within a variety of practices from OB/GYN offices to a few luxury resort spas. MTs HATE that they are forced to do the sales pitch as much as most clients hate to hear it. My suggestion to you is to realize that they are as uncomfortable as you with that aspect of the job (we are monitored daily, our "numbers" posted and expected to bring in a certain percentage). Kindly share that you understand that this is required of them and that you are happy with the relaxing service provided, but wish not to lose the post massage (wrap/scrub/facial) glow in a sales pitch.

Enjoy,

Dawn

On the Jewel last Dec we booked two different spa treatments. The first was one of the spa specials where you get five treatments for $100. It was a huge disappointment. They did the facial, pedicure, foot massage, neck massage and hand massage right out in the bright lights in a chair you get your hair cut in. Additionally, we were told that these were full treatments and would each last 1/2 hour. We were in and out in one hour. If we had been told it was an hour long and would be in the middle of the spa I would have booked something else. My sisters didn't even last an hour and she disputed it and they removed the charge. The spa hostess/receptionists were very rude but the actual therapists were very nice. The spa manager to whom I complained to yelled at me on the phone then had the nerve to ask is I was satisfied with my treatment. I wasnt looking for my $$$ back just an apology for the mix up.

We had already booked a couples massage that was an hour or hour and half long and it was truly wonderful. Pricey, yes, but very good. I'm glad I didn't cancel it based upon the first experience.

Hello,

I have worked as a Massage Therapist for more than 16 years within a variety of practices from OB/GYN offices to a few luxury resort spas. MTs HATE that they are forced to do the sales pitch as much as most clients hate to hear it. My suggestion to you is to realize that they are as uncomfortable as you with that aspect of the job (we are monitored daily, our "numbers" posted and expected to bring in a certain percentage). Kindly share that you understand that this is required of them and that you are happy with the relaxing service provided, but wish not to lose the post massage (wrap/scrub/facial) glow in a sales pitch.

Enjoy,

Dawn

My wife has found the following works. She books only ONE spa treatment and makes it very clear to the therapist when they first meet (to discuss the session) that, while she knows they are expected to attempt extra sales, in her case it is a complete waste of time and that any attempt at a sales pitch will result not only in no extra sale but she will take it into account in considering the gratuity. BRUTAL, but it works. She is never bothered with an extra sales pitch.

I had a couple of services on the Spirit in September. With the port-day deals, prices were comperable to local spas on land. There was a little sales push at the end for products, but nothing that made me uncomfortable and when I said "no thank you", that was the end of it. Definitely worth the visit, IMO.

Archived