What is there to do In Progresso?

cnewberry23

Although I still think Progreso is vile, and Merida not worth the trip (and I have traveled Central America extensively, and been to Mexico a few times), I am attaching a picture of one of my kids in Merida. I have beeter ones but I can't find them for some reason... IMHO I always like to have one day when I can stay on the nearly empty ship. Progreso would be that day!

WillMerida.jpg.5c1c6d4ed62accb9650dc080ed4ac6a4.jpg

A few more pics of Merida, Chichen Itza and Progreso for those interested.

http://pictures.aol.com/ap/myAlbums.do?includeReceivedAlbums=true&albumId=25859.2564.1197573481776.3

A bit more information about a Progreso port call.

The beautiful city of Merida, the capitol or the Yucatan State is also home to four universities. It's a very safe and clean city. You can get by fine without speaking Spanish. I don't speak anything but basic English. Never a problem. Food is very good. Beers that are not exported are also very good. Coffee is excellent everywhere. Mexico grows some of the best coffee beans in Chiapas. Merida is 21 miles from Progreso and you can visit for $3.00 round trip by modern air conditioned bus that runs about every 15 minutes.

Yes, Chichen Itza is a 2.5 hour ride, but just listed as one of the Wonders of the World.

Uxmal, my favorite ruins site, is about 1.5 hours and to me is more impressive, prettier and lots less crowded.

Hope these ramblings help some people in their planning.

Although I still think Progreso is vile, and Merida not worth the trip (and I have traveled Central America extensively, and been to Mexico a few times), I am attaching a picture of one of my kids in Merida. I have beeter ones but I can't find them for some reason... IMHO I always like to have one day when I can stay on the nearly empty ship. Progreso would be that day!

I find it almost astonishing that you continue to push such negitive opinions of Progreso and Merida, yet it has been more than 2 years since your visit! Just MHO:cool:

qprrules. I think Carla's impression would be the same today and I think that is a good thing. I've been going to the area for six years and it hasn't been changed by the influx of cruisers. It's still authentic. The Yucatan State doesn't depend on tourists for it's existance. Progreso never has six to eight cruise ships at the same time like Cozumel. Cozumel has two activities. Beach and shopping. Personally when I port there, I rent a jeep and head out to the less crowded areas. Have a snack at Mr Sancho's and a late lunch at Pancho's Backyard.

In The Pink. Good point. To visit Rome, Paris, London and many sightseeing destinations must be done through ports in other cities. Ships can't dock in those cities.

A few more pics of Merida, Chichen Itza and Progreso for those interested.

http://pictures.aol.com/ap/myAlbums.do?includeReceivedAlbums=true&albumId=25859.2564.1197573481776.3

Mr. Dawson, thank you so much for sharing your beautiful photos. I'm very excited to be going to Merida again next month. However, this link and the next one didn't work; it asked for a logon. Your first link and your 4th link did work.

Thanks again.

Good to have you back H.

Carlalena, I can honestly say that I have felt the same way about some of the ports that I have visited. If we were all alike, this world would be pretty boring.

So true! I absolutely LOVED Roatan and thought Belize was the most beautiful place on Earth. I think there are two others on CC who agree! :)

Just got back from our cruise that included a day of shopping and beach at Progreso. Here's my take:

We left the Holiday late in the morning. There were already people returning to the ship. I overheard one guy disparagingly comparing Progreso to a toilet. Not a good sign. The pier where the ships dock have a rough, messy industrial look: obviously a working port. Not "inviting" looking at all.

We took the free shuttle to town and did the double-decker tour bus of town. My family enjoyed this very much. In fact, my wife wanted to do the tour again before we left for the ship (unfortunately, the tour doesn't run all day long, so she was out of luck).

We shopped for a bit at the square where the shuttle drops you off, then hit the street shops. Prices and merchandise were comparable to the street markets in Cozumel. The shops in Progreso reminded me of other Mexican towns I've been in: relatively clean, but simple and gritty. Not "glossy" like the manufactured atmosphere of the tourist areas of Cozumel.

The people were friendly, and we never felt unsafe.

The beach was not nearly as nice as those in Cozumel, but comparable to Gulf coast beaches back in the states. The beach was free from garbage, but pretty plain. We grabbed a table at one of the restaraunt's areas and sit back for a some relaxation in the sun. Cokes, beer, and bottled waters were $2 each. An order of nachos was $7, but extra chips were free. A bit on the windy side, but all in all, a reasonably nice day at the beach

As others have mentioned, there were plenty of vendors walking by hawking their wares on the beach, but I never found any to be pushy. A simple "Gracias, no" and they would pass you by and not return. We quite enjoyed the musicians, and they seemed pretty happy to play a song or two for a buck tip.

In short, if seeing a real Mexican town would depress you, or if you don't like dealing with beach vendors, or you are expecting a Cozumel-like beach, then Progreso probably isn't your cup of tea. On the other hand, if you want to see a real Mexican small town before it turns into a tourist spot, then go enjoy a day there!

So true! I absolutely LOVED Roatan and thought Belize was the most beautiful place on Earth. I think there are two others on CC who agree! :)

Hola amiga,

The beaches in Belize were pretty nice, but the town of Belize City could use a facelift. On our first visit we went cavetubing and got to see alot of the countryside. We saw no wildlife and very little civilization. Second trip, I fell in love with the beaches. Bannister Island was gorgeous.

I will have to go back to Roatan. There are still plenty of beaches to explore and they are all easy to get to by taxi.

Merida is 21 miles from Progreso and you can visit for $3.00 round trip by modern air conditioned bus that runs about every 15 minutes.

Where do you get the bus to Merida?

What would you suggest when your arrive there? We enjoy walking around, enjoying the sights and catching the local flavor.

Thanks!

yogimax. When the courtesy bus drops you at the plaza in Progreso, just ask directions to the AutoProgreso bus terninal. It's only three blocks. $3 RT. The terminal in Merida is only three blocks from el centro (central plaza) in the middle of the historical area. Several building from the mid 1500s. After exploring el centro, take a carriage ride out to Paseo Montejo. $20 for a fifty minute ride. Have a great visit.

yogimax. When the courtesy bus drops you at the plaza in Progreso, just ask directions to the AutoProgreso bus terninal. It's only three blocks. $3 RT. The terminal in Merida is only three blocks from el centro (central plaza) in the middle of the historical area. Several building from the mid 1500s. After exploring el centro, take a carriage ride out to Paseo Montejo. $20 for a fifty minute ride. Have a great visit.

Can you give me some more info on Paseo Montejo? I'll be with DH and elderly parents on Voyager in February. We want to do something local (would love to go to ruins, but the parents would have a hard time walking around) and this sounds interesting. I think one way from Progreso to Merida on the local bus would be great, but could we get a taxi back to the port? We have 12 hours in port and I really want to plan something cultural, fun, but doable for us and my elderly (but fairly energetic) parents. YOu have a great love and appreciation for this area and culture and I'm grateful for your input.

Charlsee. Paseo Montejo is an upscale, broad, somewhat European style blvd. Beautiful homes and converted mansions. Taxi from Merida back to Progreso is about $25 US. You may also want to visit the Mercado, central market. Very interesting and very local shopping. Not at all tourist oriented. Just ask directions. About 3 or 4 blocks from el centro.

• 3 weeks later...

Hdawson,

We want to just take the bus to Merida and see the town. Running out of time on research as we leave on Saturday. Could you list the points of interest that you have been to in Merida. It is so wonderful when you have someone that will share their knowledge on the board. We found a Jewish Museum in San Juan that no one knew about. We stumbled onto it when we were there. Got to share that little bit with future travelers a couple of years ago on the board.

Hope you are doing well health wise. I love to see cities before they become so commercial that they lose there true flavor.

An easy introduction to the city of Merida is the open-air bus tour that leaves every day from Santa Lucia Park at the southwest corner of Calle 60 and Calle 55 (just a few blocks from the main plaza). The bus leaves at 10:00 AM, 1:00 PM, 4:00 PM and 7:00 PM daily and the tour lasts about 1.5 hours and costs $75 pesos. On board, a guide will point out and explain the stops along the way. The tour starts downtown, goes up Paseo de Montejo, past an old 15th century neighborhood church, past many old mansions on Avenue Colon, south to the church of San Sebastian, through the San Juan Arch and back to where it started. Halfway through the tour, the bus will stop at Parque de las Americas where you can get out and stretch your legs.

Read more about the city of Merida here: http://www.yucatantoday.com/destinations/eng-merida.htm

You'll also find maps of dowtown on our site.

An easy introduction to the city of Merida is the open-air bus tour that leaves every day from Santa Lucia Park at the southwest corner of Calle 60 and Calle 55 (just a few blocks from the main plaza). The bus leaves at 10:00 AM, 1:00 PM, 4:00 PM and 7:00 PM daily and the tour lasts about 1.5 hours and costs $75 pesos. On board, a guide will point out and explain the stops along the way. The tour starts downtown, goes up Paseo de Montejo, past an old 15th century neighborhood church, past many old mansions on Avenue Colon, south to the church of San Sebastian, through the San Juan Arch and back to where it started. Halfway through the tour, the bus will stop at Parque de las Americas where you can get out and stretch your legs.

Read more about the city of Merida here: http://www.yucatantoday.com/destinations/eng-merida.htm

You'll also find maps of dowtown on our site.

Will this tour accept US$ or will we have to have pesos?

Archived