Your perfect day in St. Martin

txsloth

For you St. Maarten veterans, what are the "must-dos" for a first timer? We dock at Philipsburg at 8 a.m. and leave at 5. Please include logistics in your responses (ie, if your perfect day includes a morning of shopping and afternoon at the beach, where do we store our purchases, how much can we expect cabs to be...etc). Thanks!

Get off the boat and grab a cab to Orient.

Taxi Rates.

Grab a taxi over to see Marigot if the desire strikes you, otherwise head back to downtown Philipsburg for shopping.

That way you're closer to the ship in the event of heavy traffic, and you don't have to deal with your purchases at the beach.

gary

Orient Beach keeps coming up in several different posts. Traffic is the other thing that keeps coming up. Since this will be our first visit to these ports (We sail the Caribbean Princess January 13th) we will probably get off the ship as soon as possible, catch a cab over to Orient Beach and stay for a few hours. Depending on what we learn during the cruise we will either call it a day and go back towards the ship and do some shopping or maybe check out another beach that may or may not (again, we will be learning as we go) be on the way back.

I've been watching these posts for months and Orient Beach seems to be the hands on favorite. Then Marigot as mentioned below.

Sounds like you are sailing before us and I would love to hear what your thoughts were on what you did when you return.

Orient Beach keeps coming up in several different posts. Traffic is the other thing that keeps coming up. Since this will be our first visit to these ports (We sail the Caribbean Princess January 13th) we will probably get off the ship as soon as possible, catch a cab over to Orient Beach and stay for a few hours. Depending on what we learn during the cruise we will either call it a day and go back towards the ship and do some shopping or maybe check out another beach that may or may not (again, we will be learning as we go) be on the way back.

I've been watching these posts for months and Orient Beach seems to be the hands on favorite. Then Marigot as mentioned below.

Sounds like you are sailing before us and I would love to hear what your thoughts were on what you did when you return.

Not everyone who stayed on the island in love with Orient. Too many people and activities for us. I prefer beaches with less crowd.

We were just in St. Maarten (although we were supposed to be in St. Martin!, but SeaDream switched that on us too, along with many other stops) around November 20-24. We went shopping in the morning, and then took a cab to Orient in the afternoon (plan on spending $20 for two, one way). It was fun to visit Orient, but it is very crowded, lots of activities (jet ski, parasailing, bars right on the beach) and the water is not as nice/beautiful as other places. If you want to be where everyone is and engage in water sports, good choice. If you want nice beach/water and a bit more privacy, somewhere else is probably better (we didn't go anywhere else, so can't recommend). We hung out on the nude side just because there were less people, but it was still crowded.

For anyone going to St. Thomas and St. Maarten, the liquor and perfume prices are much better on St. Maarten. If you buy six or more bottles, they deliver to your ship -- every store offered this, even the small ones. And most will give you the best prices, don't pay "sticker" because they all go lower without too much bargaining effort.

We were supposed to anchor in Marigot, but they took us to Philipsburg instead (and on Friday instead of Wednesday as we were scheduled, first supposedly because the port would be crowded on Wednesday and then made the change to Philipsburg because of the weather). But then, we left Philipsburg early because of the weather there -- yet the weather on Orient was just fine. Needless to say, we were not happy with SeaDream's frequent itinerary changes. But, that's another post . . . :)

Thanks all! I have a nearly identical thread in the St. Lucia board if anyone in chiming in there:D

My general sense from those who responded is that Marigot is skippable...anyone want to make a case for not skipping it?

My perfect day would be to grab a taxi to Orient Beach, asking to be dropped off at Club Orient. Stake out a couple of chairs and an umbrella at this very quiet and low-key clothing optional resort and enjoy a relaxing morning. Around lunchtime, wander up to The Perch right at Club O and enjoy some great ribs in the buff, or head to Baywatch for Andy's mussels topless, or throw the whole suit back on and head for Chez Leandres for some great French-Carribean cuisine and a rose wine that is out-of-this-world. Hang out till you absolutely HAVE to head back to the ship, and plan your next vacation as a 10-day stay right on Orient Beach. ::sigh::

GOOD GRIEF, Charlie Brown!

Ribs in the buff, topless mussels, put the suit back on for some rose'.....and then hit me with thinking about Key West and Michael McCloud at the Schooner Wharf Bar.

It just does not get any better!!! :eek:

When I die I'm comin' back as a Schooner Wharf Bar Dog! :D

Book a tour with Joyce Prince!!!! She gives you a tour of the entire island along with some good history. Plus she sets you up with whatever your shopping wishes are....for instance, one in our party was looking for rings and she brought us to her friend at the Jewlery Outlet....very attentive staff! Then she dropped us off at a beach of our choice. We chose Orient beach, but in hindsight we should have stayed at the one she recommended. Unfortunately I cannot remember it now. But it was beautiful......I want to say Mullet bay, but if that is the one near where the planes land then that isn't it. It was nice, but the other was better.

Hope you have a wonderful time in St. Maarten.......it was our favourite island!

Jackie

• 2 weeks later...

We got a cab at 10:00 and went straight to Orient Beach. First, the cab experience on St. Martin was unlike any other island on our cruise--no aggressive sales pitches, very orderly, prices displayed clearly--very refreshing.

We fully expected to leave the beach in time to shop in Philipsburg for at least 90 minutes, but we quickly decided this was going to be a beach-only day. Hands down the best beach I've ever been on--the fun people watching enhanced this for us. Of the islands we visited, this is the one I see us spending a lot of time at in the future.

We got a cab at 10:00 and went straight to Orient Beach. First, the cab experience on St. Martin was unlike any other island on our cruise--no aggressive sales pitches, very orderly, prices displayed clearly--very refreshing.

We fully expected to leave the beach in time to shop in Philipsburg for at least 90 minutes, but we quickly decided this was going to be a beach-only day. Hands down the best beach I've ever been on--the fun people watching enhanced this for us. Of the islands we visited, this is the one I see us spending a lot of time at in the future.

We have this on our list of things to do and you just about confirmed it for us. Glad to hear you had a great time.

we have been around the island & do not really like beaches other thqan for scenery --can you suggest a nice restaurant near the ship pier where we can have a nice lunch--once tried to get into Kangaroo court but it was jammed packed with a very long wait...

also is is better to take a taxi or water taxi into Philipsburg?

Thanks

For you St. Maarten veterans, what are the "must-dos" for a first timer? We dock at Philipsburg at 8 a.m. and leave at 5. Please include logistics in your responses (ie, if your perfect day includes a morning of shopping and afternoon at the beach, where do we store our purchases, how much can we expect cabs to be...etc). Thanks!

Been to Phillipsburg Sint Maartin x 2 times. There's actually some great jewelry shopping there (not that I care) that my wife enjoys. My experience has been a stroll around town, a visit to Lucky Too Cigar Shop for Cuban cigars that are genuine, reasonably priced with honest staff (just off the town center) and a trip to the beach, where they've got Caribes delivered to you at $1 each. In town, get a balcony seat on the second floor of the Reggae Cafe for some awesome Conch Frittas, and watch the people down below.

I rest my case.

gary

There are any number of nice restaurants along the new Boardwalk.

Take a look at their menus and locations and make a decision on the spot.

I'm not currently aware of any with a BAD review.

gary

p.s. I'd take the Water Taxi. Think of it as the cheapest island excursion that you ever took. Some great photo op's on the way in, and probably a great shot of your ship on the return.

I think Maho is a must-see. It is such a unique place. Here's some of Kal's airplane videos http://www.bywindkal.com/Planevids06.html (Kal's site is great by the way).

To me, a perfect day on St. Martin for the first timer.

Maho Beach

Snorkel at Baie Rouge (or substitute with Ille Pinet - but after Marigot).

Visit the outdoor markets are Marigot and see the views from the Fort

Walk around downtown Philipsburg then take the water taxi back to the ship.

For the frequent St. Martin visitor:

Maho (it's just too cool to pass on :-)

Beach of your choosing. I like the beaches on the French side better.

browe;

OK, I have to ask.

How much is kal paying you for these comments?

gary

NOT ENOUGH. Matter of fact I'm still awaiting my first payment. Invoice was sent in February 1986, but we know Gary is suffering from terminal "Get a Round Tuit" disease.

Gary

thanks for the input--we enjoyed the water taxi last time so I guess we'll try that--hope there's not a long line from the cruise dock..It's 5 pp for the pass, correct?

We'll try the boardwalk area for a light snack restaurant after a visit to some shops! where is the boardwalk in relation to the water taxi drop off--

really looking forward to a nice low key day & hope the area is not too crowded with other cruisers!

Book a tour with Joyce Prince!!!! She gives you a tour of the entire island along with some good history. Plus she sets you up with whatever your shopping wishes are....for instance, one in our party was looking for rings and she brought us to her friend at the Jewlery Outlet....very attentive staff! Then she dropped us off at a beach of our choice. We chose Orient beach, but in hindsight we should have stayed at the one she recommended. Unfortunately I cannot remember it now. But it was beautiful......I want to say Mullet bay, but if that is the one near where the planes land then that isn't it. It was nice, but the other was better.

Hope you have a wonderful time in St. Maarten.......it was our favourite island!

Jackie

The beach you are probably referring to is Mullet. It's one of the prettiest on the Dutch side near Maho Bay/beach which is the beach overlooking the airport/runway. Everyone raves about Orient but unless you're looking for major beach activities like parasailing, banana boats, I'd pass. Just too busy for our tastes.

Archived