Prime C / Aqualina Menus (Updated 1/14)

Andy

We just returned from the June 30th 12 day cruise on Azamara Journey to The Baltic. We ate in the Aqualina and Prime C restaurants most of the time. We enjoyed the menus and the service much more than the Discovery restaurant. We liked the quiet factor of the specialty restaurants and the service was much more personal. The menu is a bit more limited but one could ask for specific foods if so desired 24 hours prior to dining. You just have to learn the ropes of cruising and know what to ask for! For us, it was worth the extra minimum charge. Ask for Daniel in Aqualina and he will take very good care of you. If you want a really great wine ask for Ivo.. He is fabulous and sooooo knowledgable! :):):) Have fun!

Interesting - we had Daniel on our one night in Prime C. Both restaurants were very nice, and well worth the $15 pp charge. The only disappointment was the 3-cheese onion soup - the cheeses were very bland (I can't believe they used Gruyere, as it could not be tasted). Mushroom soup was fabulous, the mixed grill was far too much for one person. In Aqualina, get the chilled seafood platter & either souffle. I liked both the steamed lobster & the Thermidor, but a new friend form the cruise thought the Thermidor sauce reminded her of Campbell's soup.

• 2 months later...

Not sure what is going on at Aqualina these days, and while some things are subjective, having food served improperly isn't. For example:

1. My lamb came to the table cold. It was done correctly, but cold. Instead of re-firing, it was reheated for 15 minutes. Rookie mistake.

2. My wife and I both ordered lobster at the same meal. Her's was overdone. Mine was raw.

I'm not making a judgement on flavor or presentation here, just technique, which is lacking on Journey for the 10/10/10 trip.

Not sure what is going on at Aqualina these days, and while some things are subjective, having food served improperly isn't. For example:

1. My lamb came to the table cold. It was done correctly, but cold. Instead of re-firing, it was reheated for 15 minutes. Rookie mistake.

2. My wife and I both ordered lobster at the same meal. Her's was overdone. Mine was raw.

I'm not making a judgement on flavor or presentation here, just technique, which is lacking on Journey for the 10/10/10 trip.

My wife and I sailed on the Journey to the Baltic last year, and although the food was of a fairly high standard, neither of us was impressed to the point of the raptures that others on this forum seem to have reached. At best the fare in the Aqualina was as good as one could expect from a high-end medium-priced restaurant in London.

What did impress us, however, was the sommelier (a slightly scary Eastern-European woman) whose knowledge of her cellar was extensive and very helpful.

We didn't experience the appalling service you have described, but thanks for the heads-up; I shall keep my wits about me on the Holy Land cruise in a few days time.

David

My wife and I sailed on the Journey to the Baltic last year, and although the food was of a fairly high standard, neither of us was impressed to the point of the raptures that others on this forum seem to have reached. At best the fare in the Aqualina was as good as one could expect from a high-end medium-priced restaurant in London.

What did impress us, however, was the sommelier (a slightly scary Eastern-European woman) whose knowledge of her cellar was extensive and very helpful.

We didn't experience the appalling service you have described, but thanks for the heads-up; I shall keep my wits about me on the Holy Land cruise in a few days time.

David

I agree about their sommeliers. We were impressed with the two who were in Aqualina and Prime C for the 10/10/10 holy land trip.

I'd be curious to know whether Azamara improves although food enjoyment can be subjective. It's important to have the quantifiable basics working first and then go on to presentation. To me, it seemed like that cruise had it backwards. The whole food experience on that ship came across like a banquet hall.

• 2 weeks later...

Can someone clarify what the specialty restaurant options are for both suite guests and non suite guests now?

Who is allowed to dine in them, How many nights, Is there a charge at all or it gratuities only? I know what Azamara says but am curious how it actually shakes out onboard.

Any dishes in your opinion are not to be missed?

We are sailing on the Journey in Dec.

Thanks, Nancy

• 3 months later...
Hi Fun2Bwith !

You can surely disagree. Not a problem at all. The bottom line, is that everyone's tastes in food are subjective. What can be great to me, can be terrible to someone else. Furthermore, the quality of provisions can change from sailing to sailing. Host Karen was just on Quest, and she said the steaks werent all that great. When we were onboard Quest, while I wasnt very happy with the steak in the Discoveries Dining Room, the steak in Prime C was some of the best we ever tasted, and that's from a party of 6 people who all agreed. FWIW, I have eaten at many of the finest steakhouses in the country. We also had a wonderful meal in Aqualina. The service was excellent as well. We thought the 25.00 per person charge was well worth it, but then again.... if I had a bad experience, I am sure I would have felt differently. Overall, the reviews on Prime C and Aqualina have been wonderful. I hope nothing has changed, and you caught them at a bad time.

My husband and myself ate in Prime C (as well as Aqualina) on the 24 Nov. sailing and both had the fillet mignon which was wonderful. I am not a steak eater as a rule but the steak on this occasion was faultless.

Just an FYI, Prime C menu has changed with more entrees and appetizers to choose from as well as the layout of the menu.

Hi Jtd !

I'm sailing on Journey this weekend, and will be posting the latest menus when I return home. Thanks for the heads-up.

Thanks for posting... My mouth is watering! Question- as we plan to eat in the alternative restaurants for the most part, what nights are a "must" in the MDR?

Host Dan

Host Dan...I was told by a crew member the dining room menus changed from when I was there in October/November 2010. I knew they would be changing so I didnt take the time to gather and post them. Also, each itinerary allows something "special" from the locale to possibly be brought onboard for both the dining room and complimentary wines

The dinner menu is posted outside of the dining room each day (just like many other cruise lines) However, you could ask to see them even further in advance and they will accomadate you.

This way you can plan ahead.

Also, just want to confirm that a high ranking restaurant crew member confirmed to me in the beginning of Feb. that all my menus and price lists were still accurate and they werent anticipating any changes in the near future.

My DH loves Quail, so we made sure to be in the dining room for that.

Also, we found all of the chilled soups in the dining room to be excellent. Though the strawberry was a bit tart for my DH, so added a packet of sugar and declared it PERFECT!

Have a wonderful cruise..I have to say our 24 day Journey experience was near perfect.

Host Dan- The MDR menus for each day are available on your stateroom TV when you board, so you can plan ahead but note that the date order for the menus does not necessarily run in sequence on the screen. The menus may also alter slightly. We enjoyed both Prime C & Aqualina. The Sea Bass in A and the Halibut in PC are really good if you want a change from red meat or shell fish. Our waiter in PC suggested I have the halibut plainly grilled without its sesame seed topping and it was delicious. I also enjoyed halibut in the MDR.

• 1 month later...

I am confused re the specialty restaurants: Can I make a reservation before I board and what is the additional cost?

Can we order something not on the menu in the regular dining room? ( lamb chops, steak, etc?)

It is our first time on an Azamara cruise.

thanks,

Diane

I am confused re the specialty restaurants: Can I make a reservation before I board and what is the additional cost?

Can we order something not on the menu in the regular dining room? ( lamb chops, steak, etc?)

It is our first time on an Azamara cruise.

thanks,

Diane

• 3 weeks later...

We just got back from the 4/17 Journey from Rome to Venice. We ate enough to gain weight and think we're experts, so here's our input.

Aqualina was A+++. We ate there 3 nights. The setting was delightful and quiet. Our waiter Darel was excellent, as was the entire staff. The food was outstanding. We were charged $15 per person. We bought local wine in Sicily; the $10 corkage fee was low and well worth it.

Prime C got a mixed review. B+/F. We ate there one night, very nice setting and table. Service was not so good. The nightly special was very good. My Angus steak, supposedly a New York strip cut, was awful; medium rare came out well done and had obviously sat for a while before being served.

Discoveries dining room did not pass muster. We tried it for breakfast and lunch. Both were tasteless. Service was pleasant, setting hectic. Don't wait in line for this food.

Mosaic Cafe served great coffee and was a pleasant spot to sit and chat.

The buffet and pool grill added to our weight gain--not much more. Gelatto bar was very nice.

:D

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Is there a charge for children in these restaurants?

Hi myaffe,

Because this thread is a sticky, people probably gloss over it and not click through to your post.

You're probably going to get more response by creating your own thread with the question as the thread title.

Having said that, none of the menus mention a separate children's cost, so it would seem that the per person charge applies to all people eating there, including children. But again, someone who's actually sailed and dined with children could better respond if they actually saw the question.

Cheers.

Is there a charge for children in these restaurants?

Hi Myaffe !

Children are charged the same rate as adults. Enjoy your Cruise !

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Was glad to see that lobster was being offered 'Your Way' in Aqualina.

On Celebrity, the lobster is now done tableside with the meat in a sauce - somewhat akin to thermidor but without the final oven finishing. Arggh..

Now for the important part of the meal - wine. Are the boutique, complimentary wines offered at the specialty restaurants?

Thank you for the responses.

Indeed the wines are and sometimes they even offer different ones to those being served elsewhere but in the main they are the same as elsewhere - they are just served with style in Reidel glasses which makes them taste even better :)

• 2 weeks later...
Was glad to see that lobster was being offered 'Your Way' in Aqualina.

On Celebrity, the lobster is now done tableside with the meat in a sauce - somewhat akin to thermidor but without the final oven finishing. Arggh..

Now for the important part of the meal - wine. Are the boutique, complimentary wines offered at the specialty restaurants?

Thank you for the responses.

This will be my first Amazara cruise - I love Lobster - Do they serve lobster tails (at least one evening) in the MDR or do you have to go to the specialty restaurant to get lobster?

Marion