I would attend the Meet & Mingle if???

Ronrocks!

so, I am reading that different ships have different meetings. Last cruise I was on was the Explorer Dec 06. That was a dull M&M. My DH does not want to go again. No captain or CD. Didn't last long. I will be on Radiance next month, can any recent M&M goers on that ship give me a heads up on what to expect from them. If it sounds good, maybe I will be able to get my DH to go again, otherwise I will be alone:(

LOL I am huffing and puffing carrying this soap box! ....

A M&M is what you the cruiser makes of it not the RC staff. The first one I went to I didn't understand what was happening or what was expected. I thought the RC staff was suppose to make us all like each other! lol okay exaggeration but you get the idea. Now I make sure I plan games we can play and we have a state or country exchange planned and a cabin crawl after the M&M for anyone who wants to join in any of these activities. The point is the M&M is what each of us contribute to it. I knew this on my first one when the nicest lady I ever met walked up to my husband and I and said hi my name is .... and I was online with the name.... She woke me up and I realized RC is just providing us with a place to meet the people we have been chatting with online. Some RC crews do a little more and some don't, but it shouldn't matter. WE get together to visit and see each other. Okay...off my soap box.

(Gently slides soapbox over his side);)

LOL I am huffing and puffing carrying this soap box! ....

A M&M is what you the cruiser makes of it not the RC staff. The first one I went to I didn't understand what was happening or what was expected. I thought the RC staff was suppose to make us all like each other! lol okay exaggeration but you get the idea. Now I make sure I plan games we can play and we have a state or country exchange planned and a cabin crawl after the M&M for anyone who wants to join in any of these activities. The point is the M&M is what each of us contribute to it. I knew this on my first one when the nicest lady I ever met walked up to my husband and I and said hi my name is .... and I was online with the name.... She woke me up and I realized RC is just providing us with a place to meet the people we have been chatting with online. Some RC crews do a little more and some don't, but it shouldn't matter. WE get together to visit and see each other. Okay...off my soap box.

You are 100% correct in that WE make the difference in the excitement level as well as the activity.

However.... the history, from what I understand, is that these meetings started without the cruise ships involvement, and people just got together. Then the lines got involved for whatever reason, and have set an expectation of their involvement. I believe they reached out to engage the M&M people.

Yes we should all be able to have fun on our own without the involvement of the cruise staff, BUT :D if they choose to get involved, then they should do so 100%. Do no harm? IOW... by being involved and dictating the place we meet and offering whatever they choose to offer, they are also assuming some amount of responsibility to ensure the event happens well.... how many times have we read on here about the times and places being switched and the cruise staff not notifying people in a complete or timely manner... if people here are getting lackluster about the events, I would say that some of this attitude is a direct result of lackluster fulfillment of expectations set by the cruise line themselves.

Yes, to parties being duds because people expect to be entertained and they have no one to blame but themselves.

But also boo-hiss to the cruise staff that takes control of the event and then messes it up with changes....

--- offers soap box to whomever wants it.. .:D

Before M&M's we had rubber band parties to meet these people.

What's a rubber band party?

So, planning for "worst case scenario" what sort of meeting and mingling activities have groups done in the past on their own without help from the cruise staff?

The only ice breaking activities I know are the ones we did in college, like a scavenger hunt where you find "someone who has a brother, someone's that been to Europe, someone wearing red, etc" ... which may be a little corny.

I tried to register for a meet and mingle and I was told that you have to be on a cruise for 7 or more days to register...any alternatives? I'm going on the 2/4/08 Enchantment in case that helps.

You can do like most people do. Just go to your roll call and let everyone decide on a place to meet. Usually a bar or lounge some place. From what I am reading you will have just as much, if not more fun, than the cruise line sponsored event!! Good luck!!

So, planning for "worst case scenario" what sort of meeting and mingling activities have groups done in the past on their own without help from the cruise staff?

The only ice breaking activities I know are the ones we did in college, like a scavenger hunt where you find "someone who has a brother, someone's that been to Europe, someone wearing red, etc" ... which may be a little corny.

The ice breaking activities I know would get us thrown of the ship or worse yet arrested.:eek: Kidding.....kinda..

Hey everyone. With all the recent attention given to the Meet & Mingle over the past few days I thought this would be an interesting thread to start. I've been reading on the threads that many people do attend the official Meet & Mingle for one reason or another. What I would like to know is what RCCL and other lines could do to increase attendance? What are your thoughts and ideas???:o

For me it's simple:

1. I would like for the Captain to attend or at least drop by. I understand he is busy with ship duties but I am sure he could stop in.

2. Maybe free cocktails for at least an hour while there.

While on Navigator awhile ago, Capt Bang did attend our M&M for a brief hello and answred a few questions. That was pretty cool. !!

While on Navigator awhile ago, Capt Bang did attend our M&M for a brief hello and answred a few questions. That was pretty cool. !!

Well I think if the cruise line is going to give us a place to hold the Meet & Mingle they should at least have a senior staff member stop in and say hello, how are you, please don't fall off our boat.

I agree that RC should be more reliable about the time and place for the meeting and more consistant with the provisions. I have been to 3 RC M&M's and 1 Celebrity Connections and all 4 of them served basically the same thing. Snacks and coffee, tea or juice so far it has been consistant for me. :)

But when I hear about the people being bored at them I have to wonder how much of themselves have they invested into the M&M :confused: the whole purpose of the M&M is to see each other not see what entertainment or gifts RC is going to give you.....Jumped off soap box and waiting to hand it off. :D

We'll be on the Explorer on Friday, and we're looking forward to our M&M. Our Roll Call thread has been very active, and some of us have been getting to know each other for the better part of a year. Whether folks have been on the board for a long time, or are just signing up, all are welcome. Some families that have been around for a while have even planned excursions together. We also have a gift exchange planned. :cool:

It is what you make of it, I guess. :)

We have 80 people signed up for our Meet & Mingle. However, only a dozen or so have been active on our roll call. Some have planned a gift swap since it is just before Christmas. It will be interesting if all 80 people show up. I am not familiar with the ship but we are meeting in Elington's Lounge on the Mariner. Hope it's a big lounge!!

• Administrators

Here are the BEST tips I can offer everyone to ensure the success of their Meet & Mingle party:

- Show up

- DO NOT SIT DOWN at the party.

- Repeat: DO NOT SIT DOWN and expect to be entertained.

Sticking yourself at a table and not moving is the kiss of death. The ship's staff do attend, and do a minimal amount of "speaking" at these events. They aren't the main event -- YOU ARE.

Get up -- mingle (why do you think we call it that???). :D Put on your nametag and your smile and you'll have a great time!

Laura

Here are the BEST tips I can offer everyone to ensure the success of their Meet & Mingle party:

- Show up

Sticking yourself at a table and not moving is the kiss of death. The ship's staff do attend, and do a minimal amount of "speaking" at these events. They aren't the main event -- YOU ARE.

Get up -- mingle (why do you think we call it that???). :D Put on your nametag and your smile and you'll have a great time!

Laura

Yep. That's how I met Laura, and it was NOT an official RC event. We just all agreed to meet in the Champagne Bar after boarding! :D

- Show up

Laura

Very well said...thier is a time and place to act like adults...the Meet & Mingle is NOT it!! Have fun!!!

- Show up

Laura

Which is why our unofficial ones prior to the real event have been great. And the RCCL ones....

- Show up

Laura

This is a biggie, and I appreciate the sentiment.

How can we help prevent the scheduling mix ups?

How can we get less dungeon-like facilities assigned?

It seems that these two issues have not helped several M&M's go off as planned, despite the best efforts of our Roll Call Groups. So what can *we* do to smooth out those wrinkles.

Is there a way to have the person in charge on board make contact with the lead person in the Roll Call? Communication is an amazing tool....:D

We set up a day time and place and wore things like rubber bands ( or red ribbons and such) with the people on our roll call. For the Freedom inaugural we had pink boas and became known as the pink boa society.

I have never been to a dud because all the roll calls I have been on have been very active. I am not sure I would go to an M&M if I did not post to a roll call.

And as for scheduling, you can NOT make everyone happy. My friend spends most of the sea day in the gym and on the jogging track ( just like she does at home) so for her there are very few times she would be free. What about those with spa apointments and such. And some have late dinner, some early, so people sleep in some do not.

And all of our past ones have at least the CD come and a few others, we even had some secrets told to us about the Freeedom by the CD on one cruise. On another we invited the CD, disco DJ, and favorite bartender on a fishing trip. The CD did not make it but his boss did the ( director of the food... his exact title escapes me) but he was the former head chef and when they caught a fish he brought it back on the ship and cooked a private dinner for our group.

The last one we did on the Brilliance we all brought gifts to exhange amongst the roll call buddies who chose to . So I really do believe the M&M is what you make it.;)

This is a biggie, and I appreciate the sentiment.

It seems that these two issues have not helped several M&M's go off as planned, despite the best efforts of our Roll Call Groups. So what can *we* do to smooth out those wrinkles.

Is there a way to have the person in charge on board make contact with the lead person in the Roll Call? Communication is an amazing tool....:D

One idea is maybe have the Meet & Mingle at the Pool Bar or someplace outside in the fresh air. Maybe even have durring the sail away on the pool deck! It seems that is when most of the pre-Meet & Mingles are held anyway.

One idea is maybe have the Meet & Mingle at the Pool Bar or someplace outside in the fresh air. Maybe even have durring the sail away on the pool deck! It seems that is when most of the pre-Meet & Mingles are held anyway.

The sail a way would not be good for the people who are sailing from the northern states in the winter! : ) I guess I have never had a problem with the lounges they have chosen to have them in. They are all functional meeting rooms. Depending on the size of the group is where they decide to have it - I am assuming.

:cool: WE ONLY ATTEND THE M&M TO MEET WITH THE GREAT PEOPLE WE HAVE BEEN TALKING TO ON THIS SITE. Everything RCCL does for us is just a plus and is appreciated.

But I would like to have the M&M the first day at the pool bar or Solarium Pool and make it a great wild event to get other people asking what is so special about this group. Maybe RCCL could put up a sign stating "M&M Meet Here" or something. Advertising our site.

Or do we already have enough people on this site? :eek:

We attended a Meet & Mingle on NCL and were impressed to see several department heads as well as lots of good food. The directors of each department handed out their business cards so we could contact them if we had any issues during the cruise. They were very informative about future cruise itineraries.

My DD agreed that RCCL needs to make improvements to the Meet & Mingle.

I would appreciate at least one free coctail. We prefer the Meet & Mingle on the first sea day around 2pm. We'll be sailing Explorer Feb 3, so I wish I could see these suggestions implemented. I doubt it, but I'll attend anyways just to meet all my new friends from CC. It's fun to put a face to the name.

was this the NCL Pearl? I was on that 4-14 (???)-07 and it was a GREAT M&M, maybe I got lucky that week or maybe NCL REALLY knows how to host a party :)

• Administrators

As most of you know, the time/date/place for Meet & Mingle parties are announced approximately 4 weeks prior to sail date -- you can find an updated listing of these here: http://www.royalcaribbean.com/ccConfirmedPartyList.do?src=CCC That listing is updated almost up to the moment of sailing. If you view the listing, you'll see that there is a pattern to the parties -- they are held in the same place/time/day on each ship (with some exceptions from time to time, of course). This list is linked at the top of the RCI forum, as well as the ROLL CALL forums.

The most frequent reason a time/date/place change happens? When a ship changes their itinerary -- and an originally scheduled party time happens when a ship is now scheduled to be in a port of call. When this happens (folks usually find out when they check the confirmed party page, linked above) the best thing to do is to WRITE ME IMMEDIATELY. We are very successful in having these changed.

There is nothing anyone can do, though, if communication breaks down between shoreside and the ship. I truly believe everyone (both shoreside and on board) does as much as they possibly can to ensure that the invitations are printed correctly after a change -- but errors do occur.

Keep in mind that although the ships are huge, space for group meetings really is at a premium (after all, we know how vocal Cruise Critic members can be if a space isn't available to them because of a private party, now don't we lol). They schedule group events for spaces that are not being used at that time. For example, on my recent Explorer of the Seas cruise, there were 41 different groups on board all vying for the same spaces.

For the record, these gatherings really cannot be held in a "publicly accessible area" such as the pool deck. For those of you who have never been, Royal Caribbean has a nice gift for all who attend. These are carefully counted out so that each person who "registered" will receive one. Also, food/snacks are prepared for all those who attend. Having a Meet & Mingle where anyone can participate really doesn't make any sense -- after all, they are recognizing YOU, as a Cruise Critic member (not everyone who happens by). I'm sure I'd get lots of feedback if someone didn't get their gifty!

With regard to making one person from each ROLL CALL the contact person -- we've tossed that idea around over the years. Think about this: Royal Caribbean has 22 ships sailing (for the most part) each week -- that is alot of people to have to keep in the loop -- and those people change each week -- making it over 1,000 people. That's the reason for the Party Confirmation Page -- to keep you all informed. Then, you also have me -- and most of you know I can be reached at community@cruisecritic.com!

Having one person who becomes a "pied piper" of sorts on each ROLL CALL does make a difference, though! The constantly check the number of folks registered, they constantly check the "party confirmation page", and they keep others informed of changes -- they keep the conversation rolling, and usually their personality "type" makes it easy for them to fix whatever needs fixing, by emailing either myself or Royal Caribbean (xplora@rccl.com) right away.

As Abridalmaven said, there are so many things happening on RCI ships (sometimes just reading the Daily Compass is exhausting) -- add to that the large number of other groups on board -- all in all I think Royal Caribbean does a great job with scheduling these parties and recognizing our members once they are on board.

Once again, please feel free to write me with any changes that might be necessary in the future. (community@cruisecritic.com)

Laura

Thank you Laura. I for one appreciate this gathering. My only comment was that some areas are not closed off such as our recent cruise on the Mariner. People were wandering in and out and it would have been easier if access to the room had been cut off for the hours.

Nevertheless, I am grateful that cc does this for cruisers and I do believe that some who are asking for additional "perks" are perhaps overstepping the meaning of the Meet and Mingle.

At our M & M on the Navigator last May not only did Captain Bang make an appearance but so did his charming wife who knew all our user names because she reads all the postings from the roll call for whatever ship her husband is on.

Also, I have read threads where people are very disappointed that hardly anybody bothered to turn up at the M&M. Why would people do that when they have been communicating with each other for months?

Archived